News Article: I don't heart Brian Wilde

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Martin was the biggest problem last year, that much is obvious. Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Plekanec and Gorges are all still there and I don't think they are below average.

Yet the Habs were square in the mix of things until they fired him and nose-dived.

Obvious you say...Interesting take on it.

niftymove

Jul 13, 2010
Last year was planned to tank as soon as we fired Martin.

The team itself could have been good enough to make the playoffs. Short run for sure, but playoffs anyway.

This year is a ''boîte à surprise''. A bit weaker team at the start, without AK and Camm, but many questions marks: Therrien influence! Galchy playing with us or not, injuries again? Markov?

It is ok with me to read some pessimist (realistic?) articles about the Habs 2013 season. We dont have the firepower of many teams for the moment.

Neutrino

Jan 18, 2011
Montreal
It's how negative he always is with our team, for better or for worse. It irks me. He's calling us a terrible team before the team's played one game.

lolwut ?

Wilde has been one of the most poptimistic people regarding media coverage for our team in the recent 2-3 years at least ! Because now he tells it like he sees it he's an eternal downer that has been pooping on our team forever and ever ? Nope.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I'm really hoping we draft in a great spot next year, and move forward the following season. For me this year feels like a loss regardless, so why not make the draft a bright spot?

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
The other day Wilde was giving Allan Walsh props on twitter for being a "good source of info".

No one in their right mind should give props to that propaganda machine. He was part of the problem, not the solution.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Yet the Habs were square in the mix of things until they fired him and nose-dived.

Obvious you say...Interesting take on it.

In the mix of what? They lost like the first seven games of the season, in the mix for the first OA pick maybe. A losing streak like that kills an entire season, only the delusional think we had a chance afterwards.

Saintpatrick*

The team is almost exactly the same as the one that finished with 3rd overall pick last season. Can't blame anyone for not expecting success.
My thoughts exactly. I don't like Wilde much either but this team is fairly unchanged. I think the additions of Bouillion, Armstrong and Prust were ok but how much of an impact will they really make.

I don't think that this team is as bad as they looked last year and could surprise some people. I wouldn't complain if they did finish 15th in the conference it's such a deep draft this year but I always hope they win.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
In the mix of what? They lost like the first seven games of the season, in the mix for the first OA pick maybe. A losing streak like that kills an entire season, only the delusional think we had a chance afterwards.

:laugh: Are you even able to hold a conversation without calling someone names?

I'm not about to re-hash this old argument again nor look up the numbers, (and I strongly doubt you would actually take the time) but they were a few games out of the race and the most injured team in the league at the time. They were turning things around and getting bodies back. Saying they could have made the playoffs is anything but a reach. Saying the problem was "obviously" Martin is just blind hate for the guy. The team took a nose-dive to the bottom of the standings and was just a complete mess after he was fired yet he was obviously the problem?

Having said that, I don't mind the change in ideology and direction. I just think it was done at the worst possible time. I would have rather watch a playoff race than the worst debacle I have ever personally witnessed by a Habs team. They should have just kept status quo, or at least wait until he had a healthy team then at the end of the year if you want to move in another direction you do it.

Last edited:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

I'm not about to re-hash this old argument again nor look up the numbers, (and I strongly doubt you would actually take the time) but they were a few games out of the race and the most injured team in the league at the time. They were turning things around and getting bodies back. Saying they could have made the playoffs is anything but a reach. Saying the problem was "obviously" Martin is just blind hate for the guy. The team took a nose-dive to the bottom of the standings and was just a complete mess after he was fired yet he was obviously the problem?

Having said that, I don't mind the change in ideology and direction. I just think it was done at the worst possible time. I would have rather watch a playoff race than the worst debacle I have ever personally witnessed by a Habs team. They should have just kept status quo, or at least wait until he had a healthy team then at the end of the year if you want to move in another direction you do it.

What?

The fact we bombed last season has given us our best forward prospect since Saku Koivu. Had we kept status quo we'd be suffering another 5 yrs of mediocrity.

The Habs have some very good young players right now, we have a 5-10 year window to take advantage of most of them and we need to surround them. We still need 1 more top end forward prospect before I'm ready to start "buying".

A Gally-Barkov 1-2 punch would set us up for a long time.

I'd rather suffer through 2-3 years of being terrible and then be a perennial contender. We have the core to do this with a quick turnaround. Aiming to just make the playoffs was the reason why Gainey's tenure was so mediocre.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
What?

The fact we bombed last season has given us our best forward prospect since Saku Koivu. Had we kept status quo we'd be suffering another 5 yrs of mediocrity.

The Habs have some very good young players right now, we have a 5-10 year window to take advantage of most of them and we need to surround them. We still need 1 more top end forward prospect before I'm ready to start "buying".

A Gally-Barkov 1-2 punch would set us up for a long time.

I'd rather suffer through 2-3 years of being terrible and then be a perennial contender. We have the core to do this with a quick turnaround. Aiming to just make the playoffs was the reason why Gainey's tenure was so mediocre.

I don't disagree with that. Though I'm not going to get on any rookie bandwagon until I see what he does in the NHL. He does look like a special talent though.

And it's a matter of personal taste. I'd rather at least be in the playoffs than go through what Oilers fans are. But that's just me.

And my point was that I think we would have made the playoffs had they not fired Martin and that saying that is anything but delusional.

If you guys mean that Martin was the problem for not tanking then, yes, I agree ;)

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I don't disagree with that. Though I'm not going to get on any rookie bandwagon until I see what he does in the NHL. He does look like a special talent though.

And it's a matter of personal taste. I'd rather at least be in the playoffs than go through what Oilers fans are. But that's just me.

And my point was that I think we would have made the playoffs had they not fired Martin and that saying that is anything but delusional.

If you guys mean that Martin was the problem for not tanking then, yes, I agree ;)

I respect your view on it, we definitely don't see things the same way.

I think finishing bottom 10 again this season would be the best thing for our franchise moving forward. I say bottom 10 because we have the assets to move up to top 5 if Timmins has a man crush.

I think we will be in the hunt, as much as I don't want us to be.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Came here to give more support to Brian Wilde...

I honestly can say/write that I always love hearing what he has to say on CTV sports...he's actually a bright spot on CTV (always cheerful and animated and he has so much psasion for our Habs!! I love that!!). So he added a negative maybe realistic comment about his/our Habs...it could be a good thing if we finish at the bottom (that's how ew got Galchenyuk and we all love Galchy!!).

Imo, if we somehow (not by tanking) finish at the bottom I'm going to look at the bright side...we'll get another top 3 or top 5 pick:yo::handclap::yo:

But with a healthy roster...you never know what can happen in playoffs (healthy Price, Subban, Gorges, Markov...miracles happen!:amazed::D, healthy Cole, Pacioretty, Pleks, Moen, Gionta,etc,etc... we can surprise many teams a la year when Halak/Gorges/Subban did lots of damage to Wash and Pitts!!, but...we can also have lots of injuries again and end up at the bottom...so we can get an amazing pick again a la Galchenyuk caliber:handclap:).

Overall...Brian Wilde is a very cheerful and colorful animator/sports anchor for CTV, always a joy to listen to/watch imo, and I absolutely believe that he loves his/our Habs:handclap::yo: (he's so positive most of the time...which allows him the right to say something that is realistic/a bit negative sometimes...it's good to hear the truth and not just happy-happy-happy all the time!!).

Go Brian Wilde Go!! (please remove the word ''hatred'' from the thread title! VERY VERY unfair to Brian Wilde, imo).

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

I could just as easily say you have some sort of sick blind love for the guy, it is just a way of writing off someones opinion.

Apparently there are no delusional people in the world, just jerks who call people delusional. If your feelings are so easily hurt maybe the internet is not for you.

The team took a nose dive AFTER he left and replaced with who? Good argument, blame the guy with zero nhl head coaching experience, that will make Martin look so much better. Why doesn't the wonderful Martin have teams lining up around the block for his services as head coach right now? Oh that's right this isn't 10 years ago.

If anything it was long overdo, he should have been canned in favour of Muller but I am glad it was done when it was done. Your "status quo" nonsense is very indicative of the Gainey era, nothing drastic ever done to get to the next level. Either limp into the playoffs on a wing and prayer or miss and get a middling prospect. Great options those are, working real well for Calgary.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I respect your view on it, we definitely don't see things the same way.

I think finishing bottom 10 again this season would be the best thing for our franchise moving forward. I say bottom 10 because we have the assets to move up to top 5 if Timmins has a man crush.

I think we will be in the hunt, as much as I don't want us to be.

Yeah definitely two valid, but differing philosophies. And there are examples throughout the league where both have worked and failed.

Myron Gaines*

inb4 the word **** is censored from HFBoards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I could just as easily say you have some sort of sick blind love for the guy, it is just a way of writing off someones opinion.

Apparently there are no delusional people in the world, just jerks who call people delusional. If your feelings are so easily hurt maybe the internet is not for you.

The team took a nose dive AFTER he left and replaced with who? Good argument, blame the guy with zero nhl head coaching experience, that will make Martin look so much better. Why doesn't the wonderful Martin have teams lining up around the block for his services as head coach right now? Oh that's right this isn't 10 years ago.

If anything it was long overdo, he should have been canned in favour of Muller but I am glad it was done when it was done. Your "status quo" nonsense is very indicative of the Gainey era, nothing drastic ever done to get to the next level. Either limp into the playoffs on a wing and prayer or miss and get a middling prospect. Great options those are, working real well for Calgary.

So if he would have been canned for Muller we would have tanked and got great prospects? You're contradicting yourself.

Martin did the best he could with the horses he had. He implemented a boring system that won more games than it lost and was very successful in the playoffs given that we didn't have the superstars of the teams we eliminated. I enjoy defensive systemic hockey, but I can certainly understand how most people wouldn't.

If you mean that he was the hurdle to tanking, then we agree. We just don't agree on tanking, and that's perfectly fine.

Habitants

Oct 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Wilde is a reporter he is entitled to write his opinion, whether you read it and appreciate it is up to you, in general he is not the only reporter forcasting sub par season for the Habs.

If you want to be more positive then consider the following:

but what if gomez rebounds and puts up a good number of assists?
but what if kaberle shoots more often and we have a better powerplay?
but what if markov is 20 again and is best dman in the league!
but what if bourque can score 27 goals?
but what if Emelin is a #1 defenceman!
but what if subban is GOD!
but what if plekanek had linemates?
but what if gionta scores 30 goals?
but what if Gorges was captain in kelowna!
but what if prust fights EVERYONE!
but what if Ellar scores 4 goals every game?
but what if Galchenyuk wins the calder?
but what if Price wins the vezina?
but what if desharnais was the next martin st-louis?
but what if COLE TRAIN!
but what if maxpac was wolverine?

then would we have a chance to make the playoffs?

imo too many question marks, we will just have to wait and see. so lets drop the PUCK!

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I thought about that before, you convinced me. :)

Very very appreciated:nod::handclap: (the title is a lot cuter and more classy! and not creating a war-zone like atmosphere filled with hatred and bad stuff...we have a lot of that in the world news!).

(I love/adore Hockey's Future, but...when we have threads that start with ''I hate''...it becomes a bit trashy and disrespectful,imo, that's more for those comments at the end of articles where people can post all kinds of insults and hatred and you can choose to ignore it or give it thumbs down,etc, but this is HF...there is some class here after all:), thanks to some moderation or else it would become a zoo around here!!:rant:).

And I know I'm very annoying with Markov's constant injuries, but I never started a thread titled ''I hate Markov'' (not only would it be very trashy but I'd be either banned/warned maybe or trashed by everyone here!!!haha!!). And we'd have endless threads about hatred! (ex: ''I hate Cammalleri for floating''... ''I hate Bourque for floating last season'',etc,etc... I hate this, I hate that...).

HF is awesome and nothing wrong with some moderation!:nod: (especially when it comes to being a tad more respectful...some moderation doesn't mean censorship-North Korea-style).

Go Brian Wilde Go!! (continue being so cheerful!! and once in awhile if you have a negative/realistic comment...so what? we can't say positive things all the time about our Habs 24hrs/7, although it's great to try!!;)). I'd be a bitter if Brian Wilde was a Bruin or Leaf fan saying negative things about our Habs...but I'm pretty sure he isn't since he seems so passionate and usually very positive about our Habs (he wants our Habs to win just like we do...imo).
If I were a spots anchor on CTV sports...I'd probably say ''to be honest...I'm not sure what our Habs will do this season...depends so much on health, health, and health...and then forming solid/balanced lines (not just a one line team) with great chemistry, chemistry, and more chemistry!'' (so...we could be a bottom team or we could make the playoffs and surprise...as usual we'll have to wait and see, but it all starts with key players being healthy).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes