I Cannot See Buffalo Missing the Playoffs Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Who are they demonstrably better than in that division?
Devils are the only easy argument and the Rangers assuming Lafrennierre, Georgi, Igor, and Kakko are nothing special this year, which we all expect all to be huge improvements to the team.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
I see a lot of hot take machine leaf fans trying to dig Bostons grave prematurely.
Every year people say Boston will take a step back and they don’t. Just like every year people say Buffalo will make the playoffs and they don’t. I expect both of these things to stay the same this season.

Reactions: TheKrebsCycle

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'm a 45 year plus Sabres fan and I have no issue saying that I do have a difficult time seeing the Sabres in the playoffs because I think our goaltending is the worst in the league.

Chicago is my vote for worst goaltending this year.
They're actively tanking and downgraded from Crawford to Subban and Delia?

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Let the record show OP is a none-Sabres fan and most of the hot takes supporting the Sabres in here are not from Sabres fans.

As a Sabres fan I don’t see the Sabres making the playoffs if they are in this proposed eastern division and only get to play divisional games.

If they can dump Hutton and acquire a good 1A goalie and have Ullmark as 1B my opinion could change.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I don't care how many years in a row they've missed. It's irrelevant now. They have the key pieces to win and Hall will have a huge year of 40 goals. Some depth and goaltending concerns, but those will be overcome with a star core taking the next step. They finally have the right coach in place. Stick with him. Dahlin and Eichel will have their best seasons yet.

Ppl say this every year now. That’s why it’s so funny. It doesn’t matter who they add or what they look like on paper, they always choke. Lol. Now that said next season could happen because it will be such a short season and the divisions being wonky af. won’t count in my eyes. talk to me when they make it in an 82 game season.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I'm only sold on Washington and Philly being better in that group.
Pittsburgh has finished ahead of Buffalo 13 years in a row. I think it's a case of pens being better until proven otherwise. They had the 7th best record in the league last season despite being the most injured team.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I don't care how many years in a row they've missed. It's irrelevant now. They have the key pieces to win and Hall will have a huge year of 40 goals. Some depth and goaltending concerns, but those will be overcome with a star core taking the next step. They finally have the right coach in place. Stick with him. Dahlin and Eichel will have their best seasons yet.
Some depth and goaltending concerns. Two of the biggest reasons teams win we're lacking in that department. Okay then.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pittsburgh has finished ahead of Buffalo 13 years in a row. I think it's a case of pens being better until proven otherwise. They had the 7th best record in the league last season despite being the most injured team.

It's the annual HF "predict Pittsburgh misses the playoffs THIS time" thread.

At some point, they'll be right. Ignore the fact they were wrong 99% of the rest of the time.

Reactions: sabresEH

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I got 20-20 vision and oh boy they're missing big time.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabresEH

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Boston is looking at a big regression imo. Islanders I think lack the high level Buffalo has. Pens I don't see making the playoffs.
Islanders have way more depth than Buffalo. Sorry, Buffalo isn't anywhere near the quality of NYI. I'd also put NYR ahead of them too and despite their age, Pittsburgh as well. How can you look at Buffalo's current roster and honestly tell me they are better than all those teams?

Buffalo fans claim every year it is their year and it never happens. I like the Hall acquisition but lets be real, he is one player and he is not a game-breaking player. Buffalo still has very little quality depth at F and D. Their goalies are decent. That's it. I may be a leaf fan and you may say I'm being biased but I'm being real here.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
People are really disrespecting Dahlin and Hall It's a little pathetic.

IMO If we upgrade on Hutton i see us making the playoffs. if we had an average backup last year we would of made the playoffs.
It's not disrespect, it just is what it is. It's the same reason nobody ever considers Edmonton a winner, and that's because almost every year when those talks come up the teams do their damnedest to prove them wrong and end up losing again. I hate it too, but until a team can actually show it can sustain a winning atmosphere people won't believe the talk.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
It's not disrespect, it just is what it is. It's the same reason nobody ever considers Edmonton a winner, and that's because almost every year when those talks come up the teams do their damnedest to prove them wrong and end up losing again. I hate it too, but until a team can actually show it can sustain a winning atmosphere people won't believe the talk.
Dahlin has the highest point totals for a teenage defensemen ever and he's a total afterthought here. thats disrespect.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Dahlin has the highest point totals for a teenage defensemen ever and he's a total afterthought here. thats disrespect.
If McDavid can't drag the Oilers corpse into the playoffs, near rookie Rasmus Dahlin won't carry Buffalo.

Again, no disrespect, just reality. I hope the team proves me wrong. I'd love to see the perennial bottom feeders reign supreme for a while.

Reactions: Fly Boy

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Islanders have way more depth than Buffalo. Sorry, Buffalo isn't anywhere near the quality of NYI. I'd also put NYR ahead of them too and despite their age, Pittsburgh as well. How can you look at Buffalo's current roster and honestly tell me they are better than all those teams?

Buffalo fans claim every year it is their year and it never happens. I like the Hall acquisition but lets be real, he is one player and he is not a game-breaking player. Buffalo still has very little quality depth at F and D. Their goalies are decent. That's it. I may be a leaf fan and you may say I'm being biased but I'm being real here.
LMFAO hall not a game breaker ? He won a hart trophy and a god awful njd team what are you saying ? do you watch hockey ?

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
LMFAO hall not a game breaker ? He won a hart trophy and a god awful njd team what are you saying ? do you watch hockey ?
That was two years ago... and hasn't even come close to showing he can carry a team CONSISTENTLY. Look at his stat line. He's had two good seasons that would be considered a game-breaking talent. The other 8 seasons...not so much. I don't care about the quality of team, McDavid has been on some pretty shitty teams and absolutely lights it up.

He is a 50-60 point player with two outlier seasons so far.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
That was two years ago... and hasn't even come close to showing he can carry a team CONSISTENTLY. Look at his stat line. He's had two good seasons that would be considered a game-breaking talent. The other 8 seasons...not so much. I don't care about the quality of team, McDavid has been on some pretty shitty teams and absolutely lights it up.

He is a 50-60 point player with two outlier seasons so far.
taylor hall a 50 point player? Think you're all alone on that one.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
taylor hall a 50 point player? Think you're all alone on that one.
Have you seen his stats?

I've attached his point totals. You should take a look. I also love how you took what I said and chose to state he is a 50 point player. I said he is a 50-60 point player which is completely accurate of a statement. A game-breaking talent would have the talent to put up close to PPG, PPG, or above it for almost every season to be a game-breaking talent.

Have fun continuing to think Hall is a super stud player despite the stats saying otherwise.

Attachments

• taylor hall stats.PNG
    taylor hall stats.PNG
    43.8 KB · Views: 7

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Have you seen his stats?

I've attached his point totals. You should take a look. I also love how you took what I said and chose to state he is a 50 point player. I said he is a 50-60 point player which is completely accurate of a statement. A game-breaking talent would have the talent to put up close to PPG, PPG, or above it for almost every season to be a game-breaking talent.

Have fun continuing to think Hall is a super stud player despite the stats saying otherwise.

I'd also like to state that I don't care if I am alone on it. It's my opinion based on the facts I see in front of me
hahaha dude you're so ridiculous,

taylor hall has 627 games and 563 points that puts him at about 0.90 Points per game.

"A game-breaking talent would have the talent to put up close to PPG" your own words pal

Last edited:

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
One thing I wonder about whenever this is posted: how many teenage defensemen have actually played a full NHL season?

Very few compared to forwards because defenseman generally take longer to mature/adapt to the game compared to forwards. It speaks to Dahlin's talent that he was considered an NHL-ready defenseman before he turned 18.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
hahaha dude you're so ridiculous,

taylor hall has 627 games and 563 points that puts him at about 0.90 Points per game.

"A game-breaking talent would have the talent to put up close to PPG" your own words pal
You're right, I realized that after I said it but due to games played, he still has only put up 80+ twice. It's still my opinion he isn't that good though but you keep doing you.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Agreed. Sabres have started fast recently, and then faded at about half way. Shorter season should help them hang on to a playoff spot.
That’s kind of a general synopsis with out any details or thought . Specifically, Sabres got off to a great start 2 years ago until Berglund quit on the team, they had no depth and crumpled. Last year, again, off to a great start till Sobotka who was their 2C was out for the season. Sobotka wasn’t great but filled the role. Fast forward to this season, the key is the addition of Eric Staal. Perfect 2C and much needed Stanley cup experience. He also insulates Eichel who was leading the Hart trophy discussions through December. Cody Eakin is a subtle, yet solid 3C addition. Dylan Cozens who is the 2C of the future add further depth. Taylor Hall ads a dynamic dimension to to the top line and slides everyone else down the lineup. Goaltending is absolutely the key this season. Playoffs seem unrealistic given the division they are being placed in, but if they get in, nothing would surprise me with how far Krueger could take the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad