Movies: 'I AM LEGEND' Sequel Announced w/ Will Smith & Michael B. Jordan

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Never got the concept behind making sequels over a decade later. Or making sequels to movies that don't need one.

(tho I did always wonder what happens after they get to the camp but still)

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Never got the concept behind making sequels over a decade later. Or making sequels to movies that don't need one.
Or taking movies that were awesome and remaking them in bland, paint-by-numbers fashion. I mean Heston's Omegaman is a classic. The Smith version was about as thrilling as watching soil erode.

My Best-Carey

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Never expected to see a sequel to I Am Legend of all films, actually I guess I still probably won't.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So looks like it is confirmed that the sequel will rely on the alternate ending in which Dr.Neville (Smith's character) survives. Talks about this sequel along with a Keanu sequel for Constantine which is also in the works.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
The timing just feels out of left field.

Didn't mind the first, but also didn't realize how far they strayed from the novella.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Hated that movie. Just the fact that they're doing a sequel indicates they've managed to totally mangle the entire point of the story.

In the novella, Robert Neville was the last human survivor of a plague of vampires that's wiped out almost everyone on the planet, a plague that he himself is immune to for whatever unexplained reason. Every day he goes out into the ruins of the city (iirc it might have been LA or SF) to find the remaining vampires, stake them, drag them out into the sun and kill them. Every night they flock to his house and bang on the boarded-up windows and doors to try to get in and kill him, and he drinks until he passes out. This goes on for years, decades. Eventually he starts going to the library to learn basic research skills to try to cure the vampire virus, though largely out of boredom than any other reason. He wasn't a scientist in the book, but the guy he used to carpool to work with is the head vampire who leads the night assaults...but he can never find him during the day. Anyway, the whole point of the story is that he thinks he's a monster hunter killing vampires, or at the very most he's putting suffering plague victims out of their misery. He doesn't consider them sentient...but the twist is they are. The ones that have survived this long have adapted to the virus, and they're the new strain of humanity that will carry the species forward. He wasn't killing monsters, he was killing husbands, fathers, mothers, kids...he spent decades wiping out entire bloodlines by the thousands and never once did he ever feel bad about it. Eventually they manage to capture him and take him to the vampire city. As he's locked in a tower waiting execution, he looks out of the crowd of vampires all staring up at him in terror, and the last passage is something like: "As the vampire was the myth of the human, so now the human becomes the myth of the vampire. I was the monster that stalked the daylight. I will be the feared boogeyman mothers tell their kids about to scare them. I am legend." Neville = Devil. Get it?

That movie was a travesty to Richard Matheson. A sequel continues the bad ideas.

Great synopsis of the book - thank you - I always meant to read it, but have never gotten around to it. I actually liked I Am Legend. I watched the Vincent Price again about a month ago, and that is still my favourite of the three. I love Heston, but for some reason I can't get into his. I watch it every few years because I want to really like it, but I cant haha.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The timing just feels out of left field.

Didn't mind the first, but also didn't realize how far they strayed from the novella.
Ya as someone that read and loved the novella it is very different, heck not even on the same side of the country, LA vs New York.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I'm fed up with movies about zombies. Not the walking undead, they're great. But actors like Will Smith whose careers died years ago and are now zombified. What a travesty he won an Oscar for what was little more than a PR piece paid for by the Williams sisters

Reactions: Supermassive

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I'm fed up with movies about zombies. Not the walking undead, they're great. But actors like Will Smith whose careers died years ago and are now zombified. What a travesty he won an Oscar for what was little more than a PR piece paid for by the Williams sisters
They aren't zombies.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh

(tho I did always wonder what happens after they get to the camp but still)

That's where I'm at too. The cash-grab nostalgia sequels just don't do anything for me. Of the ones I can think of off the top of my head that I've seen (Independence Day, Dumb and Dumber, Matrix, Zoolander), I can't think of a single one that I'm glad I saw.

Reactions: Voight

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Will Smith is starring in it..... but he freaking died. Oh I guess they are going with the alternate ending lmao.
Ill watch but kinda stupid
also Im down to see Will make a come back. loved his stuff my entire life not going to let a stupid slap ruin it.

That's where I'm at too. The cash-grab nostalgia sequels just don't do anything for me. Of the ones I can think of off the top of my head that I've seen (Independence Day, Dumb and Dumber, Matrix, Zoolander), I can't think of a single one that I'm glad I saw.
Yeah it's the sequels for movies 10 years or older that are usually shhhhit.
Super Troopers 2, Boondock Saints 2, Dumb And Dumberer and Dumb and Dumber Too, Hot Tub Time Machine 2 wasnt 10 years old but it was horrible. Bad Santa 2 sucked as well

one of the only good and it was actually amazing sequel and it was for like a 30 year old film hell maybe even older was Top Gun Maverick

Reactions: Deadpool8812

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Hated that movie. Just the fact that they're doing a sequel indicates they've managed to totally mangle the entire point of the story.

In the novella, Robert Neville was the last human survivor of a plague of vampires that's wiped out almost everyone on the planet, a plague that he himself is immune to for whatever unexplained reason. Every day he goes out into the ruins of the city (iirc it might have been LA or SF) to find the remaining vampires, stake them, drag them out into the sun and kill them. Every night they flock to his house and bang on the boarded-up windows and doors to try to get in and kill him, and he drinks until he passes out. This goes on for years, decades. Eventually he starts going to the library to learn basic research skills to try to cure the vampire virus, though largely out of boredom than any other reason. He wasn't a scientist in the book, but the guy he used to carpool to work with is the head vampire who leads the night assaults...but he can never find him during the day. Anyway, the whole point of the story is that he thinks he's a monster hunter killing vampires, or at the very most he's putting suffering plague victims out of their misery. He doesn't consider them sentient...but the twist is they are. The ones that have survived this long have adapted to the virus, and they're the new strain of humanity that will carry the species forward. He wasn't killing monsters, he was killing husbands, fathers, mothers, kids...he spent decades wiping out entire bloodlines by the thousands and never once did he ever feel bad about it. Eventually they manage to capture him and take him to the vampire city. As he's locked in a tower waiting execution, he looks out of the crowd of vampires all staring up at him in terror, and the last passage is something like: "As the vampire was the myth of the human, so now the human becomes the myth of the vampire. I was the monster that stalked the daylight. I will be the feared boogeyman mothers tell their kids about to scare them. I am legend." Neville = Devil. Get it?

That movie was a travesty to Richard Matheson. A sequel continues the bad ideas.
Wow, I'm going to read this. The book is just called I am Legend?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad