Post-Game Talk: I’m not even mad

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
Overall great game by all. Battle by committee.

My little nitpick is Drai on the OT goal. On that blown 2-1 Drai needed to get to the bench because he was gassed. Yammer did the right thing and went straight to the bench. Drai has a bad habit of getting caught on the ice completely gassed because he takes such long shifts.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If Tippet is smart Nurse wouldn’t be on the top PP unit and people would instead be talking about what a monster he was killing penalties tonight. Instead he plays 30 minutes and top PP where he doesn’t belong and gets exposed and exhausted.

huge point that not many were expecting. Take it.

Reactions: Faelko

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Tippett needs to notice when one of his players brains isn't working anymore. Would have been better off playing any other D on the team in OT than Nurse at that point in the game. Even larsson just hanging back playing it safe would have been more useful. My pick would have been Jones.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Some awful performances tonight, but overall a hell of an effort to take a point from a team nobody expected us to.

Excellent game, there's nothing this team can't do.

Reactions: Oilhawks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Should go with 7 Dmen from now on til Klefa is back.
Russell and Cave played 7mins combined.
Use the roster spot on 7th Dman and bring Bear's TOI down

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
If you would’ve told me last week we’d lose Klefbom as well and we went 3-1-1 over this five game stretch I would’ve shit my pants.

Didn’t watch most of it due to Ball Hockey but it appears that Nurse matched the eye test, he needs to be better.

Oh well on to the next!

Reactions: TB12

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
There's something wrong with the Oilers play evaluation still... Nurse is getting PP1 and OT time, while Bear and Jones sit on the bench. That's a coach who has no clue what he's working with.

If Nurse will fetch you something pretty, he'd be gone by next year for sure if I was GM. Buy low, sell high.

I don't think they can afford to move Nurse but tonight is a crystal clear example of why he should not be paid like a top pairing defenseman. Spoon fed offensive opportunities and accomplished absolutely n o t h i n g.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Unbelievable battle level all game. Have to be proud of the team.

For Nurse, that is a baptism by fire if there ever was one. The best line in the league, the best team in the league, and he's out there, all situations. He made a ton of mistakes. He was very, very bad. But he went for it, and in time, those situations will become old hat.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
There's something wrong with the Oilers play evaluation still... Nurse is getting PP1 and OT time, while Bear and Jones sit on the bench. That's a coach who has no clue what he's working with.

If Nurse will fetch you something pretty, he'd be gone by next year for sure if I was GM. Buy low, sell high.
I think Tipp knows what he's doing.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Great effort... deserved at least a point and while 2 would have been fantastic... 1 pt in this type of game... vs a team at the top of the NHL and while your team is suffering major injuries... is a good result.

Yotes get f*** all on the night (well a broken dman)... so that's great news.

Canucks getting a big fat L tonight would be the cherry on the pie.

Reactions: Coffey

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Not mad but Nurse was garbage. Put Bear on the top unit please.

Nuge was terrible too. Yamamoto was fighting it all night.

9 times out of 10 we lose this in regulation so I’ll take the OTL.
Can't believe RNH was a first overall

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Thrilled with a point.

I won't even mention how silly that Nurse drive was or how abysmal Smith is on breakaways.

Big point!

lol as frustrating as those two plays were in OT the point is huge and it was a solid effort.

Not sure it’s ever going to happen, but I hope one day that Nurse will learn that you can’t give the puck away and take yourself out of the play as a pinched d man.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Nurse with the worst game I've seen him play, but can we get a shout out to Jones and Lagesson for both stepping up and having solid af games? Good character point, Smith was outstanding. Good effort. Holland needs to be looking at this and seeing a team that can do some damage in the postseason. Get us a winger Ken!

Reactions: SK13

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Crazy game though. The officiating was definitely shit. But the PK was absolutely great. Smith was great too.

Nurse always struggles when his minutes go a bit crazy. As do most dmen I suppose.

Tippett should give a chance to Bear on PP1 to help Nurse and his minutes. lol. Hell, even Benning could do better there.

They hung in there against the Top team with half the lineup missing. GG.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Got a much needed point, but tbh that was winnable. Nurse doesn't feel like has the "it" factor for being the top Dman on a roster to me. Maybe he needs to settle in a bit more.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I missed the first but in the two periods I saw I though Lagesson was good. We've kind of forgot about him but the truth is he was really good in Bakersfield and is an experienced pro, he could still end up a top 4 guy given his pedigree. Lagesson has been a really good player at every level he's played at and i've always felt he reminded me of Hjalmarsson. It would be in line with our season to have him come in and really help this group.

I shit on Nurse alot for his PP performance but the truth is he did have a strong game everywhere else. Him and Bear held a top line and PP to 1 goal during regulation.

Sheahan is a critical player to this team i really hope they can get him signed to a deal, he's an elite PK and faceoff guy who's a strong defensive player at evens. He's looking like the new Maholtra.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
lagesson had a couple rookie moments but looked way way better out there tonight than he did earlier in the year, which is huge against a team like boston.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad