Hypothetical: Would you take Evander Kane if it meant we also get Tomas Hertl?

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
"Attempted murder" is actually an incorrect charge and overly dramatic to try to manufacture support for the illogical paragraph that you typed.

It is not even pre-meditated murder aka planned as he was charged with assault causing bodily harm in the USA not Canada. HE DID NOT RE-OFFEND! Keeping your nose clean IS taking responsibility and evidence of changed behavior. That's also how the Justice department would see it. Bertuzzi was REMORSEFUL which is also a clear indicator to character as he talked about it while here in Calgary.

Bertuzzi was on the bottom of a pile up that injured whatever his name was so, in fact, he is not the only one to blame but the instigator of a second fight in that game. The pile up injured whatever his name was not Bertuzzi. The coach is also responsible for riling up the team before that game and there was an undisclosed settlement.

Kane is a reoffender, is a me first player, plays the victim card, annoys his fellow players until he is eventually and inevitably traded.

A timeline of Evander Kane 'episodes' with Jets - Sportsnet.ca

Evander Kane officially charged over alleged Buffalo nightclub incident
Charges dropped if he kept his nose clean for 6 months. "America, what a place."

Evander Kane is the biggest scumbag to ever put on a pair of hockey skates. -

You are comparing apples to horses.

Evander Cain is this generations Sean Avery.

Canucks players were actively seeking physical retribution against Moore in a game they had no chance at winning, for his previous hit on Naslund, possibly even at the behest of coach Marc Crawford.

You could see they were gunning for him. First Sean Pronger, then Bertuzzi, who tugged at the back of Moore's jersey a few times to make sure he'd have the perfect reach for a clear shot at his face, then cold-cocked him from behind, and slammed him face first into the ice. Not only was there premeditation on Bertuzzi's behalf, but the entire team should really have been investigated as accessories in the assault. I admit that I was hyperbolizing with the whole "attempted murder" spiel, but you can't tell me that Bertuzzi wasn't trying to injure this man. The question is, how badly?

Secondly, did you even read the links you posted? Lol I admit that Kane seems like a shit magnet, but everything people are trying to claim about him in those blogs and articles is mostly unsubstantiated, libelous BS. You want to talk about a guy getting hurt in a dogpile? lol people are hyperbolizing even more about Kane than I was about Bert, and Kane's never done anything close to as awful in his career as what Bert did to Moore. The argument isn't about who's the bigger villain anyway, it's about hockey, and whether or not a personal bias would get in the way of improving our professional team, and why.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The argument isn't about who's the bigger villain anyway, it's about hockey, and whether or not a personal bias would get in the way of improving our professional team, and why.
That is only the argument if we all agree that Kane would improve the team (considering all of the factors both on and off ice). Are we really there? If not, that itself is the more relevant point of discussion.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
What a bizarre and silly thread this has turned into. I can’t believe we have someone suggesting we should acquire Kane and in the same breath railing against ‘entitlement’ in players and suggesting they ought to just shut up and dribble.

Truly strange. Perhaps this thread comes from some alternate universe where Kane isn’t one of the worst and most disliked teammates in the entirety of professional sports.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
That is only the argument if we all agree that Kane would improve the team (considering all of the factors both on and off ice). Are we really there? If not, that itself is the more relevant point of discussion.

I assumed it was a forgone conclusion that he would improve the team, particularly in the event that Wilson would have to retain cap to be rid of him, and provided we didn't have to give up a forward to obtain him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I assumed it was a forgone conclusion that he would improve the team, particularly in the event that Wilson would have to retain cap to be rid of him, and provided we didn't have to give up a forward to obtain him.

If he just kept his head down and played and didn't have a negative effect on his teammates, I think no doubt he would improve things for at least a few years.

If it was more like.... every other team he's been on, his addition would make it hard for us to attract and retain talent, while also preventing others from being at their best. So his individual contributions likely get outweighed.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
What a bizarre and silly thread this has turned into. I can’t believe we have someone suggesting we should acquire Kane and in the same breath railing against ‘entitlement’ in players and suggesting they ought to just shut up and dribble.

Truly strange. Perhaps this thread comes from some alternate universe where Kane isn’t one of the worst and most disliked teammates in the entirety of professional sports.

It's not really that strange. If the culture of entitlement is so bad in the NHL (and pro sports in general) that making tens of millions of dollars and living in the lap of luxury off the backs of people who just want to watch you do something that merits your salary (i.e. win) isn't enough for someone to be a professional and play to the best of their ability with whoever the GM and coach decides work best for the team, like players used to, then they don't deserve anyone's support, simple as that.

Again with the Kane "most hated" hyperbole lmao I remember when the other Kane (Patrick) had his own little string of incidents, just as scummy if not worse than E. Kane, and I bet everyone on this forum would be stoked af if Tre swung a deal for him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's not really that strange. If the culture of entitlement is so bad in the NHL (and pro sports in general) that making tens of millions of dollars and living in the lap of luxury off the backs of people who just want to watch you do something that merits your salary (i.e. win) isn't enough for someone to be a professional and play to the best of their ability with whoever the GM and coach decides work best for the team, like players used to, then they don't deserve anyone's support, simple as that.

Again with the Kane "most hated" hyperbole lmao I remember when the other Kane (Patrick) had his own little string of incidents, just as scummy if not worse than E. Kane, and I bet everyone on this forum would be stoked af if Tre swung a deal for him.
All of his teammates had his back when there were allegations. Can we say the same about Evander? What effect do you think that might have on ice?

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Canucks players were actively seeking physical retribution against Moore in a game they had no chance at winning, for his previous hit on Naslund, possibly even at the behest of coach Marc Crawford.

You could see they were gunning for him. First Sean Pronger, then Bertuzzi, who tugged at the back of Moore's jersey a few times to make sure he'd have the perfect reach for a clear shot at his face, then cold-cocked him from behind, and slammed him face first into the ice. Not only was there premeditation on Bertuzzi's behalf, but the entire team should really have been investigated as accessories in the assault. I admit that I was hyperbolizing with the whole "attempted murder" spiel, but you can't tell me that Bertuzzi wasn't trying to injure this man. The question is, how badly?

Secondly, did you even read the links you posted? Lol I admit that Kane seems like a shit magnet, but everything people are trying to claim about him in those blogs and articles is mostly unsubstantiated, libelous BS. You want to talk about a guy getting hurt in a dogpile? lol people are hyperbolizing even more about Kane than I was about Bert, and Kane's never done anything close to as awful in his career as what Bert did to Moore. The argument isn't about who's the bigger villain anyway, it's about hockey, and whether or not a personal bias would get in the way of improving our professional team, and why.

I am well aware of the Bertuzzi incident. You called him an attempted murderer - AKA hyperbole. The decision on that matter was made a decade ago and you nor I can change that on Social Media.

The links I posted? Sportsnet, Sports Illustrated and a Blog. - You're bolded Statement is hyperbole. You could just be talking about the blog but you didn't say that. You exaggerated to posture and try to continue your "discussion". You could also look into what the blog said. There has been a lot written about Kane and most of it is out there if you search. He's a twat and I would call him that to his face.

The point is you didn't research Kane and you made a proposal about him that didn't go over well and you are choosing to die on that very small hill and like others have said, it has become silly or in my words a circus. It's your circus.

Anyway, I really know my point was made. I consider this topic dead.

Here is a silly meme I made a while back.
my path.jpg

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
If he just kept his head down and played and didn't have a negative effect on his teammates, I think no doubt he would improve things for at least a few years.

If it was more like.... every other team he's been on, his addition would make it hard for us to attract and retain talent, while also preventing others from being at their best. So his individual contributions likely get outweighed.

That's fair. My proposal largely hinges on the idea that he would turn it around with a fresh start under Sutter, AND in the event SJ retains cap. We couldn't fit him in at 7M, and I'm not sure the gamble would be as worth it if we could, which goes back to my original post lol

The whole point would be to take advantage of the controversy in the hopes that we get a little something extra for relieving the Sharks of their headache, hoping not to make it ours. It's not like I even think he would be a good fit on EVERY team, but I do think Calgary is one place it might be crazy enough to work.

Just to be clear: Kane at 50% retained without having to give up any of our current forwards is probably the only way I would do this deal now. I'm really curious to know what Wilson's price tag for him is.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
I am well aware of the Bertuzzi incident. You called him an attempted murderer - AKA hyperbole. The decision on that matter was made a decade ago and you nor I can change that on Social Media.

The links I posted? Sportsnet, Sports Illustrated and a Blog. - You're bolded Statement is hyperbole. You could just be talking about the blog but you didn't say that. You exaggerated to posture and try to continue your "discussion". You could also look into what the blog said. There has been a lot written about Kane and most of it is out there if you search. He's a twat and I would call him that to his face.

The point is you didn't research Kane and you made a proposal about him that didn't go over well and you are choosing to die on that very small hill and like others have said, it has become silly or in my words a circus. It's your circus.

Anyway, I really know my point was made. I consider this topic dead.

Here is a silly meme I made a while back.
View attachment 464692

I made a proposal about Kane from a hockey perspective, and made my point pages ago as to why it might work and how little it could cost. If what you refer to as "research" is to peruse social media to see what what rumours and gossip some woke dingbat regurgitates for clicks, no I didn't do that.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
All of his teammates had his back when there were allegations. Can we say the same about Evander? What effect do you think that might have on ice?

Who really knows the extent to which a player's teammates are ever involved in their off-ice shenanigans, and whether any defense of said player isn't also protecting their own self-interests? The Pat Kane stuff was shady af, just as bad, or worse than anything I hear Evander being accused of, and people would be planning the parade if he ever came here.

The opposite could also be true in an instance like this where E. Kane is being accused of gambling on his own team, etc. Who's to say whether certain players aren't distancing themselves from him for not wanting to be suspected as perhaps being involved? Maybe he's not the only one being investigated, and that's why the Sharks have been fairly mum on it all so far. It would be pretty shitty if multiple people were actually involved, and willing to throw Evander under the bus knowing his bad reputation would lead everyone to perceive him as the guilty one. I'm not saying that's the case... but people really do effed up shit like that. The fact is, we just don't know anything.

This is why I can't stand the gong show pro hockey has become. It's like it's not even about the game anymore. It's like people need drama and controversy to enhance their experience, which might make it interesting for people who'd not ordinarily watch hockey, but it ruins the game for those of us who are old enough to remember when it wasn't like that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Who really knows the extent to which a player's teammates are ever involved in their off-ice shenanigans, and whether any defense of said player isn't also protecting their own self-interests? The Pat Kane stuff was shady af, just as bad, or worse than anything I hear Evander being accused of, and people would be planning the parade if he ever came here.
This is the thing, though. You are focused on your own opinions of it, but that doesn't really matter as far as hockey is concerned. I think the Patrick Kane stuff would have been pretty bad if true, but whether I think it was or wasn't, the fact is that it has not led to any negative consequences in terms of his team's performance and chemistry.

Similarly, when it comes to Evander Kane, it really doesn't matter if you think it's overblown or not that bad. If the argument is "what he does outside of the rink is his own business," sure, I get that. But as a hockey fan, what his teammates think of it and how they react is really the only thing that matters. Is it going to negatively affect the product on the ice? It has, and I don't think there is any indication that it won't continue to do so.

If Sharks players are actually lobbying to have his contract cancelled, have him suspended or else to trade them, then that presents a rough situation for San Jose. As a Sharks fan, I would be absolutely regretting that contract right now. I'm not looking to do them a favour by taking it on.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
This is the thing, though. You are focused on your own opinions of it, but that doesn't really matter as far as hockey is concerned. I think the Patrick Kane stuff would have been pretty bad if true, but whether I think it was or wasn't, the fact is that it has not led to any negative consequences in terms of his team's performance and chemistry.

Similarly, when it comes to Evander Kane, it really doesn't matter if you think it's overblown or not that bad. If the argument is "what he does outside of the rink is his own business," sure, I get that. But as a hockey fan, what his teammates think of it and how they react is really the only thing that matters. Is it going to negatively affect the product on the ice? It has, and I don't think there is any indication that it won't continue to do so.

If Sharks players are actually lobbying to have his contract cancelled, have him suspended or else to trade them, then that presents a rough situation for San Jose. As a Sharks fan, I would be absolutely regretting that contract right now. I'm not looking to do them a favour by taking it on.

What does it say about the state of the league if attempted rape and aggravated assault (actual crimes) have less impact on a team's culture or performance than allegations of gambling?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What does it say about the state of the league if attempted rape and aggravated assault (actual crimes) have less impact on a team's culture or performance than allegations of gambling?
How does the state of the league factor into the discussion?

Also, are you intentionally being disingenuous here for a reason? You already know that Patrick Kane hasn't ever been charged with rape or aggravated assault, so why pretend? And you already know that Evander Kane has a rap sheet containing more than "allegations of gambling." So, again, why pretend?

Last edited:

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
How does the state of the league factor into the discussion?

Also, are you intentionally being disingenuous here for a reason? You already know that Patrick Kane hasn't ever been charged with rape or aggravated assault, so why pretend? And you already know that Evander Kane has a rap sheet containing more than "allegations of gambling." So, again, why pretend?

As far as I've read, the only rumor about E. Kane with any basis in fact is that he filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The judge dismissed the charges stemming from the bar incident if he promised to stay out of future trouble, according to a prosecutor who described the athlete's behavior as "arrogant, boorish and surly, but NOT criminal." The only reason P. Kane was let off the hook for the rape is that the woman suddenly decided not to pursue charges. Not sure why, and don't really want to speculate any more than I already have.

The state of the league factors into the discussion because it's still a culture, and the league still has a certain responsibility to its employees. There's nothing about this situation that tells me it couldn't be as easily be motivated by other factors such as opportunism (on behalf of his estranged partner) or perhaps even racism on behalf of certain team/league personnel or teammates. Most of the media about him doesn't balance his accomplishments on the ice with whatever he is being accused of, which makes them hit pieces, not journalism. Then these little scumbags run their vlogs and bait for clicks with words like "locker room cancer" without having a single clue as to what's going on inside of it, just let their imagination run wild, and since it's how certain people already want to feel about they guy, he becomes a lightning rod for warrantless hatred, when countless "beloved" players are actually guilty of the same or way worse than E. Kane has ever done. As I mentioned several pages ago, even Gretzky's name was linked to a league-wide gambling ring, and nobody bats an eye. Take a look at the links the previous commenter posted. All unsubstantiated rumours and gossip, no criminal charges. Yet that one guy is just raking him over the coals. It's just as feasible to me that E. Kane's woes off the ice are simply ammunition for people who are already looking to hate someone, whether it be a racial thing, or whatever else.

The National Hockey League released the following statement:

"The League was made aware this evening of a post on social media alleging that San Jose Sharks Player Evander Kane bet on NHL games. The integrity of our game is paramount and the League takes these allegations very seriously. We intend to conduct a full investigation and will have no further comment at this time."

You mean to tell me that all it takes to be investigated for something serious as gambling on your own team is to have your goofy ex drag your name through the mud on Instagram ? I can only imagine what kind of mud would've been dredged up on certain players if social media was a thing during the '80's and '90's.

The Sharks also released a statement:

"The Sharks have been in contact today with the (NHL) about the serious allegations made against Evander Kane. We support a full and transparent investigation into the situation to maintain the integrity of the game and consistency with our team values."

Kane released a statement on Sunday:

"Unfortunately, I would like to address the completely FALSE accusations that my estranged wife and soon to be ex wife has made against me. Even against the advice of my legal team I feel strongly that the public and fans hear this directly from me. I have NEVER gambled/bet on Hockey, NEVER gambled/bet on a Sharks game, NEVER GAMBLED/BET on any of my games and NEVER thrown a hockey game. The facts are I personally had my best season of my career last year and was the most consistent I've been throughout any season, I'm proud of that. I love the game of Hockey and would never do any of what was alleged. I look forward to cooperating with the league's investigation, having my name cleared and looking forward to this upcoming season."

While I do think it's in rather poor taste that he'd make a point to mention his "soon to be ex wife", some B's be messy, and that's just how it is. This guy needs another fresh start in more ways than one.

Zack Bogosian, who was Kane’s teammate for six seasons, had this to say about him: “He’s a very emotional, very charismatic kind of guy, so that naturally brings more attention to a player,” the defenceman says. “Whether it was brought on by him or other people, I think his personality was really blown up—which isn’t always a bad thing—but I think a lot of people have a misunderstanding of what kind of person he is.”

Even his own teammate says most of what you hear about the guy is overblown.

Here's a link to the article:
Big Read: Evander Kane, problem child? - Sportsnet.ca

If Sabres' Kane avoids trouble, charges gone

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
What?

Who has said that?

It's not that anyone has said it, it's just the way it is. People seem to have no problem looking past Pat Kane's off-ice shenanigans (which were worse than Evander's), Bertuzzi almost killing a guy (possibly at the behest of his own coach), or Gretzky himself being embroiled in a league-wide gambling ring, but somehow Evander Kane is the scum of the Earth.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
As far as I've read, the only rumor about E. Kane with any basis in fact is that he filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The judge dismissed the charges stemming from the bar incident if he promised to stay out of future trouble, according to a prosecutor who described the athlete's behavior as "arrogant, boorish and surly, but NOT criminal." The only reason P. Kane was let off the hook for the rape is that the woman suddenly decided not to pursue charges. Not sure why, and don't really want to speculate any more than I already have.

No need to speculate, but it's worth a read because it was pretty bizarre. The accuser's mother was caught attempting to plant falsified evidence, and the family subsequently stopped cooperating with the investigation. Pretty good drama.

Patrick and Evander both have a couple of incidents in the night life scene, but I think it goes beyond what has shown up in court when you're considering his teammates' displeasure with Evander (which doesn't just go away because of an interview with one teammate from Winnipeg) such as getting himself tossed from games when losing and making his teammates kill his penalty in garbage time. When Simek got tuned up by Bennett, that was largely a response to Kane running around trying to start shit on every whistle.

I think Evander's relationship with women in general is likely the biggest factor in making his teammates uncomfortable. Not just the misdemeanour charges where he assaulted several women in a bit of a spree, but the abortion for pay stuff and his abdication of being a husband and father and all of that stuff. I have always noticed on-ice antics that would annoy me as a teammate as well (similar to the Tkachuk stuff this season).

I think there is obviously merit to pointing out that other guys get in trouble sometimes, but the point isn't comparing those actions, but rather comparing how it impacts the locker room. You keep ignoring this point. It doesn't matter if you think Patrick Kane is worse. From a GM perspective, he doesn't appear to have any negative impact on a team. That is what matters in this discussion.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

If you think this then I can only conclude you haven't been following the ongoing career saga of Evander Kane. Incidents like this are not a 'little string' its been going on for his entire career.

It's absolutely hilarious to whine about a lack of professionalism and then want to trade for E. Kane. Totally disingenuous nonsense.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
No need to speculate, but it's worth a read because it was pretty bizarre. The accuser's mother was caught attempting to plant falsified evidence, and the family subsequently stopped cooperating with the investigation. Pretty good drama.

Patrick and Evander both have a couple of incidents in the night life scene, but I think it goes beyond what has shown up in court when you're considering his teammates' displeasure with Evander (which doesn't just go away because of an interview with one teammate from Winnipeg) such as getting himself tossed from games when losing and making his teammates kill his penalty in garbage time. When Simek got tuned up by Bennett, that was largely a response to Kane running around trying to start shit on every whistle.

I think Evander's relationship with women in general is likely the biggest factor in making his teammates uncomfortable. Not just the misdemeanour charges where he assaulted several women in a bit of a spree, but the abortion for pay stuff and his abdication of being a husband and father and all of that stuff. I have always noticed on-ice antics that would annoy me as a teammate as well (similar to the Tkachuk stuff this season).

I think there is obviously merit to pointing out that other guys get in trouble sometimes, but the point isn't comparing those actions, but rather comparing how it impacts the locker room. You keep ignoring this point. It doesn't matter if you think Patrick Kane is worse. From a GM perspective, he doesn't appear to have any negative impact on a team. That is what matters in this discussion.

Isn't part of the issue re: Kane is that it DOESN'T have a negative impact on his team? His teammates were able to look past it all somehow and win hockey games. I have to wonder if we'd even be having this conversation if Evander had won a cup, not like that would ever have happened in Winnipeg or Buffalo.

I have zero evidence that any women in Evander's life might not be attempting to do the same thing you claim Patrick's accuser(s) tried to do to him, but I have to acknowledge the possibility. At the end of the day, I really only want the Flames to be a good team, and don't see any reason why a guy coming off one of his best seasons despite unfounded gambling accusations (nothing to do with women, other than the fact that his estranged partner seems to be the one making them) shouldn't be given another chance in a better environment with better teammates and a better coach such as that I believe he would have in Calgary, especially if he comes at a discount.

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
It's not that anyone has said it, it's just the way it is. People seem to have no problem looking past Pat Kane's off-ice shenanigans (which were worse than Evander's), Bertuzzi almost killing a guy (possibly at the behest of his own coach), or Gretzky himself being embroiled in a league-wide gambling ring, but somehow Evander Kane is the scum of the Earth.
Nobody has brought up attempted rape or aggravated assault in this thread.

This thread is about Evander Kane, and whether the Flames should acquire him. Not the other guys you mention.

Probably pointless for me to continue to respond, at this point.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Nobody has brought up attempted rape or aggravated assault in this thread.

This thread is about Evander Kane, and whether the Flames should acquire him. Not the other guys you mention.

Probably pointless for me to continue to respond, at this point.

That's not the point I was trying to make, and I think you know that.

I know what the thread is about, I'm the one who started it. My assumption was obviously that Kane wouldn't be popular on the forum, or I wouldn't have bothered to include Hertl in the original scenario, but there's no way I could have known how unpopular he actually was until I posed the question, and it turns out he's even more unpopular around here than I thought. It grew into a conversation from there about why he wouldn't be popular, despite playing as good or better than anyone on the Flames last season. There's nothing wrong with that conversation, and there's nothing pointless about trying to understand hypocrisies. It's not like I'm forcing anyone to respond to the thread, or agree with my opinion, and I'm not even doing anything wrong. I just legitimately think it's a situation unlike very many we've seen before, where you have this highly talented, albeit controversial forward, who's style would be perfect for the Flames and instantly make them a contender imo which is how the comparisons to other players (both in terms of play and off-ice struggles) came about. It's not even that far-fetched to imagine that Wilson would have to retain salary to be rid of him, and with Tre spent to the cap, this is something that is entirely feasible, that I think would immediately improve the team. The reward would hugely outweigh the risk to give him a fresh start (and last strike) in a great city, surrounded by good people at 50% retained. If there were a coach to get the most/best out of him, it would be Sutter. At this point, I'm just curious to know what Wilson's plan is. It could be a mere matter of a resentful ex talking shit, or it could be something bigger and more serious, with league-wide implications. The only thing I care about is whether or not the player is available, and what the price tag is.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
There have been reports that some of Kane's teammates with the Sharks don't want him back with the team next season. The winger, who has 87 goals in 212 games with San Jose since being traded there from the Buffalo Sabres in 2018, has four years and $26 million left on his contract.

"I didn't really have a reaction," Kane said of his response to the reports. "The media does what the media does. Certain members of the media [who] feel that they have an ear in the room or unidentified sources really mean nothing to me."

He said he doesn't "necessarily know or believe" that there is friction with teammates, to the point where the Sharks would seek to get rid of him.
"I've heard rumors about me being traded. Well, I have a [no-trade] list that they can only trade me to and I haven't even been asked for it, so I'm not getting traded. And I would know about it first," he said."

"There's a reason that I was able to continue playing hockey. It was business as usual for me, outside of the fact that I had to deal with all this outside noise, knowing that I didn't do anything wrong," he said. "Could I have maybe made better decisions? Maybe not meeting these people or not putting myself in that situation. You live and you learn. But in terms of doing actually anything wrong, I knew that wasn't the case. So again, that's where I find my comfort, and really have been able to continue to do my job to the best of my ability."

Kane said he understands why he has become a divisive figure, but he feels he has been judged unfairly.

"I'm in a white sport [and] I'm a Black player. I have a big personality that maybe sometimes rubs people the wrong way -- but it's not meant to. I think unfortunately a lot of the issues I've had and the allegations that have been made about me are just completely not true," he said. "I'm not looking for people [to] feel sorry for me. That's the last thing I need. I'm not looking for people to feel bad for me. I'm just asking to be treated fairly and judged accordingly."

Sharks' Kane thinks he'll be cleared by NHL

San Jose Sharks Evander Kane gambling - TSN.ca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad