Hypothetical-When Will Ottawa Turn On Paul Maclean?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think Luke Richardsson is destined to be either the coach or GM of this team - I'd rather see him as the GM and come in next year as assistant GM and mentor for a year under BM - but if he wants to coach give him the reigns and let him take over the club.

I'm a big Maclean fan and I think he is getting a ton out of his young club, but to be fair Maclean has a D that is the youngest in the league and has a team in playoff contention that only has 3 legit top 6 NHL forwards (Turris, Mac and Ryan).

If we got Maclean a true #1 forward and Methot was healthy this team would be much better - he is squeezing the crap out of his lemon and getting a lot out of it - if we make the playoffs he should be up for coach of the year

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
I definitely don't think it's time to turn on him. This question might be more approachable mid season once we can evaluate how he has been then. He's still juggling lines, but in the next 5-10 games I think he needs to make a point to freeze them regardless if some lines are dry and unsuccessful. Maybe Zib and Michalek should ride out their dry spells together in hopes that they find chemistry or one of them finally clicks? Let the good lines run in hopes of others developing, it's nice to have four lights out, effective lines but it isn't always possible.

Yes, Anderson has saved us and potentially some of his criticisms, but with the roster shakeup since last year, I kind of see these issues as inevitable.

-He's handled the kid line well and is slowly easing them into more minutes against stiffer competition to gauge their threshold. I can see this line getting increased minutes in the coming games, fingers crossed they don't get broken up.
-We're top 10 in both PP and PK so far this year (14th and 22nd last year, respectively.)
- On a general whole, I find that we aren't giving up on games nearly as much as least season, this is reflective of the Sens getting points in 11 of their first 15 games.

However much these are attributable to Maclean may be subjective, but from our expectations for this season, we're exceeding. We could also be +/- 4 points from our current position, but I think it's still too early to tell which way we're headed. We've got a load of young talent finding their game and some veterans who are starting slow out of the gates.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Not to mention we are the lowest payroll team in the league, correct?

Yes.

We don't have the budget for players.

We lack developed, consistent high end players. Some of the kids may get there but they aren't consistent top performers yet.

People can't treat this team like one of 30 equal teams. Lack of budget and place in the development cycle of the roster (too many young players in key places) put this team in a tough situation.

The management, coach and players are outperforming substantially. It would not surprise me for the team to do worse. I expected a lot worse than this.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
We do have the lowest payroll of any team in the entire NHL. Perhaps at times Maclean feels like he is arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. But those are the deck chairs he's stuck with, it seems there are no more on the way.

He has done a terrific job of bringing the kid line players along so that they can develop and get acclimatized to the NHL with some success without being tossed to the wolves. But instead of kudos we have angst and lee Versage wailing away on the post game show, reading the exact amount of minutes everyone played and complaining that there are not more minutes for the kids..
Maclean is trying to bring Zibby along and after all he is younger than either Hoffman or Stone and we can see how patience paid out with those players.

The owner and GM also have a say. It just so happens we have an owner who doesn't want to spend money but wants results and a GM who was once a coach and doenst want to think that any of his personnel decisions are at fault and if only he was coaching everything would be fine.

Maclean is being set up to take the fall. I think if things dont work out well. Melnyk has his favourite, Dave Cameron and Murray his favorite Luke Richardson waiting in the wings.They do not look like good options to me at least not yet.

I think all in all Maclean has done a great job and I would like to see what he could do with a few better players. Most of all I greatly fear another coaching carousel like a few years ago when we had 3 or 4 coaches in a few years and the team was in disarray.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
We shelter the kids who are performing>we overplay veterans and loose many games>we end up not making the playoff>melnyk makes less money>we dont have enough money to pay good free agents that could help us win more games

:shakehead

Why not play the best players and win games?

Thought was the purpose of playing hockey in the NHL

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Maclean's lucky he has a hot goaltender otherwise they would have a losing record and there would be more discussion about his decision making.
I think his decisions around use of players is atrocious and am frankly surprised by all the Maclean apologists.
His line combo experiments make little sense and underutilize his most skillful players.
The power play combos are puzzling to say the least. I won't even mention his inclination to throw away points on the shootout.
He stubbornly continues to overplay veterans who clearly lack speed and whose skills have obviously deteriorated.
If/when Anderson cools off, his bizarre decision making will be more heavily criticized.

Find me a team that is up in the standings that does not have a "hot goaltender".:shakehead
Should MacLean not be judged as everyone else, or is he just special and has to include a crappy goalie in order to prove himself? Darryl Sutter would suck as a coach if he didn't have Quick. Ditto Quenneville. Ditto Babcock. Etc....

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yes.

We don't have the budget for players.

We lack developed, consistent high end players. Some of the kids may get there but they aren't consistent top performers yet.

People can't treat this team like one of 30 equal teams. Lack of budget and place in the development cycle of the roster (too many young players in key places) put this team in a tough situation.

The management, coach and players are outperforming substantially. It would not surprise me for the team to do worse. I expected a lot worse than this.

We do not lack "developed, consistent high end players". They have them ...they just aren't there yet as you said. Are you going to be patient about it? I don't think they are outperforming substantially. I think some players are underperforming while others are developing as BM has expected.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Oh man, I've been sour on Maclean for a long time now.

There's been a lot of decisions of his that I have not liked.

I remember him saying last year that he went to work every day and tried to find a way to make the team better, but that made no sense to me, because he then went and played the Greening-Smith-Neil line 14+ minutes per night.

That was pretty much the final nail in the coffin, as far as I was concerned.

Unfortunately, we have an owner who is tight with the dollars, so the chances of Maclean getting fired this early in his contract are slim.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
We do not lack "developed, consistent high end players". They have them ...they just aren't there yet as you said. Are you going to be patient about it? I don't think they are outperforming substantially. I think some players are underperforming while others are developing as BM has expected.

If the players "aren't there yet" it means they are not developed, consistent players. Some, maybe all, of the kids will get to that level but they haven't yet and it is part of the teams performance issues.

I just find the criticism of the team a bit out of context. The problem with the team is not the players we have or the coach or even the GM. It's the players we lack due to budget and (to a much lesser extent) the decision to go with youth.

I think MacLean is a fine coach that would do even better if he had more good players in prime years. I think the players do the best they can - when some people blame lack of effort for performance, I usually chalk it up to the fact that they aren't good enough. I also think Murray does a very capable job as a GM in these circumstances.

Bottom line - when you are the bottom spending team and you are in the middle of the standings, you are outperforming a great deal. The team, coaches and management should be commended for that level of performance. Drop 2 or 3 more good players on this team and the performance of everyone - from Karlsson to Murray would look a lot better.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If the players "aren't there yet" it means they are not developed, consistent players. Some, maybe all, of the kids will get to that level but they haven't yet and it is part of the teams performance issues.

I just find the criticism of the team a bit out of context. The problem with the team is not the players we have or the coach or even the GM. It's the players we lack due to budget and (to a much lesser extent) the decision to go with youth.

I think MacLean is a fine coach that would do even better if he had more good players in prime years. I think the players do the best they can - when some people blame lack of effort for performance, I usually chalk it up to the fact that they aren't good enough. I also think Murray does a very capable job as a GM in these circumstances.

Bottom line - when you are the bottom spending team and you are in the middle of the standings, you are outperforming a great deal. The team, coaches and management should be commended for that level of performance. Drop 2 or 3 more good players on this team and the performance of everyone - from Karlsson to Murray would look a lot better.

i would look even furthur and say we don't have anyone to spend money on that would make us that much better. Is there a star player out there that can be had for cheap and all it took was money? probably not.

I don't think Melnyk is afraid to throw around some more money like he did for Ryan and other but why spend now when there is nothing to spend it on? If you bring in someone else you also take away spots from the young kids who may go on and be impact players on other teams

The only real option is to wait and see how players develop then spend money to retain and obtain talent

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Find me a team that is up in the standings that does not have a "hot goaltender".:shakehead
Should MacLean not be judged as everyone else, or is he just special and has to include a crappy goalie in order to prove himself? Darryl Sutter would suck as a coach if he didn't have Quick. Ditto Quenneville. Ditto Babcock. Etc....

Sorry, should have said blazing hot goalie with best save % in the league and having to stand on his head dealing with being badly outshot in most games.
Will have to check out the other coaches you mentioned to see about similar situation.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
We shelter the kids who are performing>we overplay veterans and loose many games>we end up not making the playoff>melnyk makes less money>we dont have enough money to pay good free agents that could help us win more games

Because we want to develop the younger players.

The ice time and quality of competition of the HLS line has slowly been increasing. They will get there sooner than later.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
You will never know unless they are given the minutes. Can you explain to me why the coach had C. Neil on the ice with 32 second left to play and the faceoff in our zone?

i see you are not aware that Neil Legwand Smith is a shutdown line.
now because they are all slow off the mark and in Neil and Legwands case slow in full flight, they approach 'shutting it down' differently.
By allowing the opposition to take as many shots as they like and forcing them to skate circles around them with the puck they are clearly trying to exhaust the opposition, at times even permitting the other team to change while on the attack in order to exhaust a 2nd line.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Chris Neil: 14th in TOI a game among forwards. 11 mins exactly. +1 with 4 pts.

Yes he is so useless and overplayed. Least minutes among forwards... A plus. Playing shutdown minutes. 55 hits in 15 games. 2nd best forward has 31. 5 minors in 15 games. Less then historically for Neil. And he has drawn at least a couple of penalties as a pest and faught.

So Neil is on our shutdown line. Has a gazillion hits more then anyone on the team. Rarely puts us shorthanded, is a plus player, plays less mins per game then any forward on the team. Is 11th among forwards with about 20 secs a game on the PP yet has a PP goal.

And Maclean is misusing him? Playing him too much? Putting him on the PP too much?

WTF? Neil is performing amazing. Maclean is using him super effectively.

Phillips is a -1 on 29 shifts a game and 23 mins a night. Mostly on the top pairing. With 8 PIMs. Yeah he sure sucks!

Basically if you criticize Neil or Phillips for this season. Or you criticize Maclean for his use of Phillips or Neil. You are a tool and your points and opinions have little use to me.

Both have been awesome. Performed spectacularly. I don't even comprehend any criticism they get. And they get a great deal.

Both have been more then adequate, they have been outstanding. But so much hate on them this season. Why? You look at their birthdate? You are unable to watch a game with any perspective? I don't understand?

Philips has been monster. Neil is playing the most responsible and less reckless game in years. Neil is not taking penalties, he is dangerous offensively at times. He is just good. And he had the least TOI on the team? WTF?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Yes he is so useless and overplayed. Least minutes among forwards... A plus. Playing shutdown minutes. 55 hits in 15 games. 2nd best forward has 31. 5 minors in 15 games. Less then historically for Neil. And he has drawn at least a couple of penalties as a pest and faught.

So Neil is on our shutdown line. Has a gazillion hits more then anyone on the team. Rarely puts us shorthanded, is a plus player, plays less mins per game then any forward on the team. Is 11th among forwards with about 20 secs a game on the PP yet has a PP goal.

And Maclean is misusing him? Playing him too much? Putting him on the PP too much?

Phillips is a -1 on 29 shifts a game and 23 mins a night. Mostly on the top pairing. With 8 PIMs. Yeah he sure sucks!

Basically if you criticize Neil or Phillips for this season. Or you criticize Maclean for his use of Phillips or Neil. You are a tool and your points and opinions have little use to me.

Both have been awesome. Performed spectacularly. I don't even comprehend any criticism they get. And they get a great deal.

Both have been more then adequate, they have been outstanding. But so much hate on them this season. Why? You look at their birthdate? You are unable to watch a game with any perspective? I don't understand?

Philips has been monster. Neil is playing the most responsible and less reckless game in years. Neil is not taking penalties, he is dangerous offensively at times. He is just good. And he had the least TOI on the team? WTF?

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yeah I don't get the Neil hate at all. He gets a bit annoying with his offsides antics at times but I definitely have no complaints about him this season. I love Neil.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Because the management and coaching understand that the longview development of the team and specifically players like Karlsson, Cowen, Ceci, Boro, Hoffman, Lazer, Stone and others is much more important than winning right now and placating fans.

This is what Murray sold Melynk on. The process of developing a champion. Personally, I would rather have our skilled youth develop than win a playoff spot. I want this team to win a Cup, not just a playoff round.

I can see what Maclean is doing. It's not just "DURR! I LIKE VETS MORE! PLAY ALL THE VETS!"

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Don't really have a problem with Neil, I think he plays his role fine.

With regards to Phillips, you are using stats to back up your statement which doesn't really tell the whole story. I've watched him every single game this year minus one and he makes numerous terrible giveaways each and every game. Just because his turn overs do not end up in the back of our net doesn't mean he had a good game. If our goaltenders were not playing lights out like they have been I'd bet the same plus/minus stat that you used wouldn't be used as apart of your argument. He is far from astounding. Is he better than last year? Sure, but the same issues people were griping on him last season are still evident this year.

Reduce his ice time. Remove him from the power play.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

With regards to Phillips, you are using stats to back up your statement which doesn't really tell the whole story. I've watched him every single game this year minus one and he makes numerous terrible giveaways each and every game. Just because his turn overs do not end up in the back of our net doesn't mean he had a good game. If our goaltenders were not playing lights out like they have been I'd bet the same plus/minus stat that you used wouldn't be used as apart of your argument. He is far from astounding. Is he better than last year? Sure, but the same issues people were griping on him last season are still evident this year.

Yeah I agree. His 24 seconds a game on the PP is killing this team. He is so overplayed on the PP.

Cause you know Wiercioch gas been a healthy scratch half the games and forwards are on the point astride Karlsson and at the end of a PP Maclean is stupid enough to want a second D on the ice instead of a forward for after the PP ends. Maclean is such a tool. Playing Phillips 24 sec a game on the PP. And his PP point too. Just lucky.. Like Neil's PP goal.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Every player makes mistakes every game. That's hockey. I just don't see how anyone can argue that Phillips is having a bad year, he's been a rock. He's had a couple of bad games, but so has everyone else. Oh yeah, and he's making 2.5 million dollars. That's bottom pair defenseman money, and not even on the high end of that scale.

I think that some people just decided that Phillips sucks, nothing that actually happens is going to change that.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I disagree with his player usage and Im not a fan of the team forechecking so hard.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Every player makes mistakes every game. That's hockey. I just don't see how anyone can argue that Phillips is having a bad year, he's been a rock. He's had a couple of bad games, but so has everyone else. Oh yeah, and he's making 2.5 million dollars. That's bottom pair defenseman money, and not even on the high end of that scale.

I think that some people just decided that Phillips sucks, nothing that actually happens is going to change that.

Yes and when they mistakes are we not allowed to critique them? There is a reason why he is getting paid 'bottom pairing defenseman money'

No one decided that he sucks, perhaps their opinions are formulated from watching him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad