Hypothetical-When Will Ottawa Turn On Paul Maclean?

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Hey guys,

I am personally not there yet but when do individuals start to turn on Paul Maclean? I love the consistency this organization has had in the past few years, but I am beginning to have thought of Dan Blysma in the background.

We are all sick of the time on ice give outs for the veteran players, the losses are mounting up, etc.

What has to happen for Maclean to get fired in season? When do fans turn on him?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Maybe it is the players who need to step up? Have you ever thought about that?

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Maybe it is the players who need to step up? Have you ever thought about that?

As I said, im not there yet.

Maybe we should give the Kid line, who is producing like crazy, should get more time than the 20 mins Michalek has had? Just a thought.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
won't happen

we are a bubble team talent wise so this should be expected

do ppl expect maclean to magically make this team a contender right now? the kids need to develop

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
As I said, im not there yet.

Maybe we should give the Kid line, who is producing like crazy, should get more time than the 20 mins Michalek has had? Just a thought.

Do you want the kid line to play like Zibby is now? That is most likely one of the reasons why they are being sheltered as of now.

All three of them are rookies still. One of them is 19 years old for ****s sake. Can't immediately put too much pressure onto them or else they will start playing like Zibanejad is now.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Do you want the kid line to play like Zibby is now? That is one of the reasons why they are being sheltered as of now.

All three of them are rookies still. One of them is 19 years old for ****s sake.

Sure and thats fair. But when a line performs why not play them more? Michalek has done nothing for us and yet he is played more.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Sure and thats fair. But when a line performs why not play them more? Michalek has done nothing for us and yet he is played more.

the kid line got a lot more responsibility tonight

pressure is a funny thing michalek is a vet he doesn't need to be sheltered he also plays the pk

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Just because they are performing with the minutes they have now does not mean they will perform with more minutes. If they keep on performing, they will most likely see an increase in minutes as the season progresses. It is still early in the season.

If they are still performing midway into the season and their ice time still has not increased, then i would start having a problem.

I get that the kids are performing well and i do want them to get some more ice time, but i can see the reasons why they are still being limited.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Just because they are performing with the minutes they have now does not mean they will perform with more minutes. If they keep on performing, they will most likely see an increase in minutes as the season progresses. It is still early in the season.

If they are still performing midway into the season and their ice time still has not increased, then i would start having a problem.

I get that the kids are performing well and i do want them to get some more ice time, but i can see the reasons why they are still being limited.

I get that but why are we giving guys more ice time that we know are not performing?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We've had a couple tough games, but a team isn't gonna fire someone with a 7-4-4 record. A couple wins and everythings looking good again.

SenatorArmy*

I don't like a lot of his decisions. I could go either way at this point. keep him, fire him, whatever. Is he the problem? or isn't he? The team is pretty terrible, whoevers fault it is

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Hahaha I love these threads. Like I said, this fan base would cream their jeans if they hired Mike Babcock then lose their minds when he'd be coaching the team the exact same way. But what does Babcock know?

megalomania

Sep 29, 2010
Switzerland
We've had a couple tough games, but a team isn't gonna fire someone with a 7-4-4 record. A couple wins and everythings looking good again.

Yeah, this. Sens are on pace for 96 points after 80 games which should pretty much guarantee a wildcard spot at the very least. Coach's not gonna get fired for that, particularly with the expectation of the Sens being a team on the bubble. I might not always agree with everything that MacLean does, and I'm not sure the pace is representative of the Sens' play or capabilities, but I'm certainly not gonna panic while they're on a more than decent pace.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Yeah, this. Sens are on pace for 96 points after 80 games which should pretty much guarantee a wildcard spot at the very least. Coach's not gonna get fired for that, particularly with the expectation of the Sens being a team on the bubble. I might not always agree with everything that MacLean does, and I'm not sure the pace is representative of the Sens' play or capabilities, but I'm certainly not gonna panic while they're on a more than decent pace.

You are making the assumption that Anderson won't regress to the mean. Goaltending is the only reason the Senators are in playoff position.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Every coach gets tossed eventually.

Even Stanley Cup winning coaches.

I don't think we are there yet.

For the record, I think he's doing pretty well at bringing a young team along.

I'm not sure what some are expecting when you have a defensive corps with one guy over 30 and a whole bunch of forwards in their early 20s.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008

You will never know unless they are given the minutes. Can you explain to me why the coach had C. Neil on the ice with 32 second left to play and the faceoff in our zone?

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Maclean's lucky he has a hot goaltender otherwise they would have a losing record and there would be more discussion about his decision making.
I think his decisions around use of players is atrocious and am frankly surprised by all the Maclean apologists.
His line combo experiments make little sense and underutilize his most skillful players.
The power play combos are puzzling to say the least. I won't even mention his inclination to throw away points on the shootout.
He stubbornly continues to overplay veterans who clearly lack speed and whose skills have obviously deteriorated.
If/when Anderson cools off, his bizarre decision making will be more heavily criticized.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Well I dont know if its a vocal minority, but it seems like a lot of people on these boards have turned on him. I'd like to see the kid line play more too, but I completely understand Macleans rationale for easing them along. You put out the kid line a lot against other teams top players and you could see it turn south quickly. Or maybe it doesn't and they hold their own, its a tough call either way.

I don't think Macleans decisions are as crazy as people on here make them though. Throwing Michalek on the top line that one game I had no problems with, we need to get this guy going somehow so why not try him with the best players for a bit? He's been pretty invisible all season, perhaps my most disappointed Sens player so far. Although last night I started to actually notice him a little bit more.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Hahaha I love these threads. Like I said, this fan base would cream their jeans if they hired Mike Babcock then lose their minds when he'd be coaching the team the exact same way. But what does Babcock know?

I think most fans on this board, or who call the radio station are not bright. Neil and Phillips for example have been excellent this year and performed their roles admirably.

Same fans that want his head whine for a tank half the time.

Without Phillips we have maybe 4 or 5 wins and not 7. Neil is like 11th in PP time among forwards per game and he scores the only goal in a game we earn a point in on the PP. Cue post game criticism of Neil on the PP. Cuz he averages 20 secs a game on the PP. (And net presence wingers Chiasson and Ryan were injured.). Neil scores on the PP to earn us a point and fans rip the coach for using Neil on the PP.
Legwand is a 1000 game vet who had over 50 points last season and who has actually prosuced some points this season. Fans write crap as if he is Colin frwaking Forbes. What does this fanbase expect? Oh yeah we should have dumped Anderson... Too old... That would have been wonderful!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad