[Hypothetical] Phil Kessel unwilling to re-sign

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
We need him to resign, if he tells Nonis he isn't interested we should just trade him right now. No point in him leaving for nothing. He missed him first 10 games as a Leaf and hasn't missed one since and progressively improves every year. I don't imagine he wants out, i'm sure he's just as awkward meeting new teammates as he is speaking to the media haha

He should only be traded if Nonis is absolutely sure that the return is worth more to the Toronto Maples (based on how the team is currently value current season vs. future years) than retaining Kessel for the whole season and playoffs.

BayStreetBullies*

Hypothetically if Kessel (& Phaneuf) leave Leafs are primed to take a run at Connor McDavid.

Unfortunately when we suck, we don't suck bad enough to get a 1st overall pick.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
yeah, I completely forgot Kadri (edited my post as you posted this).

I was hesitant about adding Bernier and Reimer because you can't really build around two goalies

Actually, you do build from the net on out. So, having potentially 2 starting goalies is a very good thing.

kamosko

Ginger Jesus
Jun 18, 2010
Girouxsalem
i concur ........hes ranked no 43 in the tsn top 100 poll .....hardly gonna make us stanley cup contenders ,,,,,6-7 mill

You can't seriously be using tsn ranking to judge how good kessel is :laugh:

Pretty sure several people said it

Pretty sure they said if Kessel and Phaneuf left and we replaced them with better players we'd be a better team, which we would obvs

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
There's a chance, a chance Kadri is our best player by the end of the season. I feel he will break out and have a monster season

in this scenario... it's not the end of the world... espicialy if we can replace him with a cammalleri or something

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Don't worry. The worst that could happen is that Phil strings us along a little then says he doesn't want to be a rental while eventually signing with another team: half way through next year.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
You know, I've spent the last several days wondering the same thing and just hoping that somebody would start another thread on it.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
phil bolts and we are stuck with bozak is the worst possible scenario.

something is getting burned if that happens.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I've been thinking about this over the past couple days.

If Phil Kessel makes it clear that he is not going to re-sign with the Toronto Maple Leafs, where does it leave the team? Are we still playoff contenders? Are we really in as much trouble as most teams would be after losing their best player (taking our depth into consideration)?

Without Phil, our forward group looks like this*:

JVR - Bozak - XXXX
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Kulemin - Bolland - Ashton
Orr - McClement - Maclaren

*: assuming everyone else re-signs

With our lack of top-tier forward prospects, we have no way to internally fill the void. Essentially, we'd need to get back some young fire-power in a trade-deadline deal.

So, 2 questions for discussion:

1. How good/bad would the Toronto Maple Leafs be minus Phil the Thrill?

2. What would you be looking for in a deadline trade?

Not happening - we going to sign him

BayStreetBullies*

I'm sure even you know what I was referring to. But you're right, despite Burkes big moves we were still terrible enough that we were in lottery territory to grab Morgan. Thank god that man is gone.

I know what you were referring to, it was so predictable.

I just find it funny that you still have an irrational hatred for Burke. You do realize he's pretty much the reason for the Leafs current team. You know, the one that made the playoffs last season.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I know what you were referring to, it was so predictable.

I just find it funny that you still have an irrational hatred for Burke. You do realize he's pretty much the reason for the Leafs current team. You know, the one that made the playoffs last season.

Known me for awhile huh? I thought you just joined. You certainly sound familiar enough. Don't expose yourself too much now.

BayStreetBullies*

Known me for awhile huh? I thought you just joined. You certainly sound familiar enough. Don't expose yourself too much now.

I joined back in March, as stated on my profile. I posted for a while, then stopped for a few months. I honestly can't say I know what you mean by that last part.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Actually, you do build from the net on out. So, having potentially 2 starting goalies is a very good thing.

Not what I meant. We have no clue who will be our starter next week, let alone in a year. You can't build around that.

If one of them were to get traded today, then I would definitely add the other to the list.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I am one of the people who said it wouldn't be the end of the world all the chicken littles think it would if Phil and Dion don't re-sign , Dion is slower and lazier every year , anybody who has watched pre-season couldn't possibly miss the way the wingers just walked around him , Phil is a great player but if he goes we dump Bozo and between the three your looking at somewhere around 18 to 20 mil in potential savings , we replace Dion's minutes from within , name "The Luper " Captain and spend the money on 2 top guns including a bonafide 1C who combined would produce more than Phil and Bozo combined , that makes us a better team then we are now .

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
You would need a 1st rounder in any trade. Use the pick or package it and try to replace him. A 1st, a mid prospect and a roster player would be as good a package as you could get in my opinion.

Look at what Bobby Ryan got... Kessel would definitely be worth more

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I am one of the people who said it wouldn't be the end of the world all the chicken littles think it would if Phil and Dion don't re-sign , Dion is slower and lazier every year , anybody who has watched pre-season couldn't possibly miss the way the wingers just walked around him , Phil is a great player but if he goes we dump Bozo and between the three your looking at somewhere around 18 to 20 mil in potential savings , we replace Dion's minutes from within , name "The Luper " Captain and spend the money on 2 top guns including a bonafide 1C who combined would produce more than Phil and Bozo combined , that makes us a better team then we are now .

and where do these 3 players come from.

Do we just pull them out of our ass.

When was the last time a BONAFIDE #1C has made it to free agency so we
could sign them. If we have to trade for one then who do we trade. If its kessel
in the trade who in the league will trade a #1C for a scoring winger and then they have to get a #1C.

where do these 2 top guns come from. Why make lupul captain just because he is popular with the fans?

We replace dions minutes from within. So you mean to tell me that you think
we are a better team with gardiner OR franson as our #1 dman. Neither one has
proven they could handle these types of minutes playing against crosby, ovie etc.
for over 25 minutes a night. Its one thing to play 18-20 minutes a night against the other teams 2nd and third lines as opposed to playing 25+ against the other teams first line. No comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad