[Hypothetical] Phil Kessel unwilling to re-sign

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
I've been thinking about this over the past couple days.

If Phil Kessel makes it clear that he is not going to re-sign with the Toronto Maple Leafs, where does it leave the team? Are we still playoff contenders? Are we really in as much trouble as most teams would be after losing their best player (taking our depth into consideration)?

Without Phil, our forward group looks like this*:

JVR - Bozak - XXXX
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Kulemin - Bolland - Ashton
Orr - McClement - Maclaren

*: assuming everyone else re-signs

With our lack of top-tier forward prospects, we have no way to internally fill the void. Essentially, we'd need to get back some young fire-power in a trade-deadline deal.

So, 2 questions for discussion:

1. How good/bad would the Toronto Maple Leafs be minus Phil the Thrill?

2. What would you be looking for in a deadline trade?

Penalty Kill Icing*

Without Kessel, we are not playoff contenders.

It probably means 50 less goals for when you replace him with someone else.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I know this is hypothetical, but it won't happen. If he does leave, it'll be like Parise and Suter where we're in the hunt all the way until the end.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Even is he's unwilling to re-sign, you only trade him for a massive package.

This is a team that can make a serious run in the playoffs, and could possibly change Kessel's mind.

I'm not worried though, Kessel seems to love Toronto, and has been great with the media this year, so that doesn't seem to bother him.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
To answer your questions seriously. We'd look awful without him. He's the only consistent forward we have. You know what he's going to bring, you know he isn't injury prone, and he consistently does it against the best pairings.

For the 2nd I'd look for a lot more than we'd be offered. He's going to be viewed as a rental at the deadline.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
You have to trade him at the deadline, no movement clause be damned.

Even if the Leafs are having a great season and look poised for a good playoff run?

At worst, the Leafs spend $8M on other players and try to make up for the offense they lose in other ways.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
1. How does one spend multiple days thinking about this?

2. We could refer to the many other threads discussing said topic.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
You would need a 1st rounder in any trade. Use the pick or package it and try to replace him. A 1st, a mid prospect and a roster player would be as good a package as you could get in my opinion.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
we're a bad team without Kessel. Now we have a hole at #1C and a top line elite winger, what's left that we actually do have?

If he makes it clear that he's not going to sign with us what other option do we have but trade him? Keep him and let him go for nothing when UFA hits? Unless we win the cup this year which is doubtful that would be a failure so you have to trade him, get the best you can get, preferably something in the way of prospects that could fill one or both those holes or a legit player who could fill 1 of those holes right now

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, we are a playoff team contender (like to get into the playoffs) without Kessel. Not a good one though.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I think there is a chance both Phaneuf and Kessel aren't back and aren't dealt, unless we are tanking. Basically if Kessel doesn't sign by Tuesday, he will be re-signed or let go next july, if he's traded, it means we tanked badly.

Last edited:

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Without hesitation. One "good playoff run" does not make a great team. I'm here for the long haul.

i concur ........hes ranked no 43 in the tsn top 100 poll .....hardly gonna make us stanley cup contenders ,,,,,6-7 mill

Mr Shanahan

Jul 11, 2007
Toronto
Then we sign Vanek or Gaborik to replace his goal scoring and call it a day.. But main priority is to get Phil signed.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think there is a chance both Phaneuf and Kessel aren't back and aren't dealt, unless we are tanking. Basically if Kessel doesn't sign by Tuesday, he is re-signed or let go next july, if he's traded, it means we tanked badly.

Kessel already stated he is not willing to talk contract during the season..

That means unless he is resigned in the next few days he will be unsigned at the trade deadline.. Once the trade deadline passes and he is still a Leaf then there is no more opportunity to trade him as the NHL trade freeze is in effect until season is over.

At which point the most the Leafs could do is trade his rights if he refuses to sign and is wanting to test UFA season. The best one could expect in return is a conditional draft pick at that point at best realistically.

Leafs got no return for Sundin when he left, and fans should brace themselves for that possibility to happen again.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If Phil and Dion were to leave, then Lups becomes our leader, and we build around Rielly, Gardiner, and JVR.

Edit: and Kadri

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
I don't necessarily think that we're a bad team without Kessel.

JVR, Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly, with leadership/veteran high-level play from Lupul and Dion isn't a bad core to build around. It's a big setback but if we can get a solid top-six prospect ++ for Phil, then we're not exactly screwed.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Add Kadri and Bernier/Reimer and I don't hate that foundation at all.

yeah, I completely forgot Kadri (edited my post as you posted this).

I was hesitant about adding Bernier and Reimer because you can't really build around two goalies

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
If Phil and Dion refuse to sign then we also dump Phil's boyfriend Bozo and use the 18 mil we save to re-sign Franson ,then go out and get a real #1 C and a top winger to replace them all and yes we are a contender , hell we are probably a better team than we are now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad