hypothetical: Is it possible McDavid doesn't make the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyt 91*

OK 1st off not meant to be any sort of put down. Just a "Is it at all possible?"
So lets say McDavid has an OK camp but L.D has an AMAZING camp like 2.0ppg camp. Is there any way that any other prospect can keep McDavid out of the line up? or is it a case of no matter what happens McDavid is on the big club?

Oil Town XJ

Dec 17, 2008
Edmonton
OK 1st off not meant to be any sort of put down. Just a "Is it at all possible?"
So lets say McDavid has an OK camp but L.D has an AMAZING camp like 2.0ppg camp. Is there any way that any other prospect can keep McDavid out of the line up? or is it a case of no matter what happens McDavid is on the big club?
2 points and 1st star in one game so far, I say he's well on his way to making the team

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
He's on the team for sure. He has nothing to prove in the juniors; nothing to learn there and he's not eligible for the AHL. He's on the team even if he doesn't tear up the rest of pre-season.

bobbyt 91*

No.. Even if he broke his leg, he'd still be on the team

I don't want to get into injury because I don't want any jinxes cuz I want to see him play.
Its more or less is he 100% guaranteed a spot on the team no matter what

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
I think he could go pointless for the rest of the preseason and still make the team. I think if he went pointless for the rest of the preseason and his first 9 games, there is a chance he could be sent back to Jrs. That's pretty far-fetched though.

bobbyt 91*

I think he could go pointless for the rest of the preseason and still make the team. I think if he went pointless for the rest of the preseason and his first 9 games, there is a chance he could be sent back to Jrs. That's pretty far-fetched though.

I HIGHLY doubt that happens but lets say other players go bananas like L.D and anyother players who are not guaranteed a spot, I mean insanely good preseason by them could they keep him out? or would they go as far to demote Yak, Eberle, RNH, Hall to ensure McDavid gets top 6 time

or put another way who is guaranteed a spot more Yak or McDavid?>

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
When was the last time a 1OA pick (not a d-man) did not play right away? 20 years? too busy to check, but it's been a while. Even though a few of them perhaps should have played another year in junior (RNH/Yakupov) simply in this day and age, 1OA picks go straight to the pros ready or not.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I HIGHLY doubt that happens but lets say other players go bananas like L.D and anyother players who are not guaranteed a spot, I mean insanely good preseason by them could they keep him out? or would they go as far to demote Yak, Eberle, RNH, Hall to ensure McDavid gets top 6 time

or put another way who is guaranteed a spot more Yak or McDavid?>

If everyone is playing bananas they will just go with three good lines.

What if my aunt had balls?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
To OP: No. Absolutely not.

Also, in the three games he's played so far, he has 7 points. Drai has 10 in 5 if I've counted right. They're both having great camps.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

You haven't been following camp have you? LD is already having an AMAZING camp (above 2.0ppg too).

I do think McDavid needs some seasoning but there is no better place except the NHL (unfortunately or fortunately).

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
McDavid said that he was really nervous last night but still managed to put up a couple of points. There is no chance that he is sent down. He has nothing left to prove in juniors

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG

None....zero.....he's already made the team. Why would you even ask? He's here to stay. Get used to it.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Oh yes, he will be sent back to junior in favour of keeping musil on the team as an extra Dman. Book it.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This might have been a discussion point earlier on but the way McDavid has fit in with the big guns he is as much a lock as anyone.

If only he seemed lost on an island by himself ala Yakupov at times. But he is already on the same wavelength as Hall .

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
zero. It would take LD becoming Kopitar this year, RNH becomes Datsyuk, Eberle becomes Kane, Purcell becomes Hossa, Hall becomes Ovechkin and Pouliout becomes Lucic

Itd be a PR nightmare, and just would never ever happen, ever

Lisa Needs Braces

Apr 7, 2004
Purely on business, he's making the team.

The thing with 1OAs making the team, is that it's quite often more of a marketing move than because the player is ready. Teams market the hell out of the player when he goes #1. Remember Stamkos' first year...Tampa had the "Seen Stamkos" campaign the summer after he was drafted....and then Stamkos wasn't that good for the first half season, got scratched and all that and arguably could have used the extra year in junior at the time. Everything worked out for him, but he was 100% rushed by management for marketing purposes.

How many people do you think are following the Oilers right now just to see McDavid? Thats a ton of cash the Oilers will be soaking up, regardless of whether or not McDavid scores 100 points or trips over his own two feet every time he gets the puck.

Evil Ernie

Nov 2, 2011
Purely on business, he's making the team.

The thing with 1OAs making the team, is that it's quite often more of a marketing move than because the player is ready. Teams market the hell out of the player when he goes #1. Remember Stamkos' first year...Tampa had the "Seen Stamkos" campaign the summer after he was drafted....and then Stamkos wasn't that good for the first half season, got scratched and all that and arguably could have used the extra year in junior at the time. Everything worked out for him, but he was 100% rushed by management for marketing purposes.

How many people do you think are following the Oilers right now just to see McDavid? Thats a ton of cash the Oilers will be soaking up, regardless of whether or not McDavid scores 100 points or trips over his own two feet every time he gets the puck.

Didn't they do the 'Seen Stamkos' ads BEFORE he was even drafted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad