Confirmed with Link: Hynes to Jersey

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It sounds like Todd Nelson (Oilers AHL coach and interim NHL coach last year) will be WBS's new HC. In all honesty, I think that's an upgrade over Hynes. Nelson is a great coach, he's definitely a NHL caliber coach.

There a link for that?

That's actually not that bad, if it's true. Oilers still stunk with him behind the bench, but at least I was seeing the first semblance of structure out of them in...I dunno...7 years?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Nelson isn't exactly an up-and-coming guy that I'd prefer to go after but I guess if he was good enough to interview for Pittsburgh's HC vacancy last summer he's probably plenty qualified to be the AHL HC 1 year later. Haven't heard or seen anything linking him to the job though.

penguins2946*

There a link for that?

That's actually not that bad, if it's true. Oilers still stunk with him behind the bench, but at least I was seeing the first semblance of structure out of them in...I dunno...7 years?

Highland Park Hockey (WBS and AHL blog) quoted a tweet saying Nelson is the front runner right now.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What you probably should consider when hiring your AHL head coach, aside from whether they can develop young players, is whether you'd be comfortable with him getting promoted in January if your team is on a 10 game skid and out of the playoffs. That tends to happen often, as we've seen. Nelson probably is the better fit there over someone with zero NHL experience as a coach or assistant or even as a player.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I, somehow, remember that Eamon dude^ being full of crap.
If thats H_P's source, it's probably not true.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Has anyone Heard anything about Butterbeer? This article just mentions GMJR 'and his staff'. I thought the Baby Pens were more or less his to run. IIRC, someone had said his contract was up this year, but I haven't been able to find anything about it ... anyone know if this is true?

There was a rumor that one of the hydra would be 'exploring other options' and I thought at the time he was the most likely one ... if nothing else to put some distance between himself and the clown show for the sake of his reputation. Anyone think Butterbean will decide to join Shero in NJ?
There was an article about a week ago saying the Penguins don't expect any non-coaching personnel (reading between the lines, basically everyone but Alain Nasreddine) to move on.

Specifically, Rutherford said he didn't want to lose his guys. To me that says everyone is under contract and staying that way, therefore couldn't go even if they wanted to.

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
There was an article about a week ago saying the Penguins don't expect any non-coaching personnel (reading between the lines, basically everyone but Alain Nasreddine) to move on.

Specifically, Rutherford said he didn't want to lose his guys. To me that says everyone is under contract and staying that way, therefore couldn't go even if they wanted to.

Yeah, I think I read that one. It's weird that I can't find anything about when their contracts expire. I have vague memories of extension announcements, I just can't find them :laugh:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, why would you want a David Frost minion around your prospects?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad