Confirmed with Link: Hynes relieved of his duties, Nasreddine as Interim

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I just don't see how you can keep this guy on when he's turned a bottom feeder into a bottom feeder in 5 years, with no real clear path forward other than praying Jack Hughes and Nico Hischier are gamebreaking players that can be surrounded by plugs. He made big bets on Schneider and Subban and both look like they have come up empty. This was the year all that planning was supposed to payoff and we have this nightmare.

I understand that argument. But the team made the playoffs once and most bad teams have to endure longer rebuilds than the fan base wants. I’m not sure that the guys who oversee the sixers and that mess that took a while to work out are going to get impatient looking at the current roster which is ok but needs obvious renovation on defense and in goal. Maybe you can trade for a goalie (Raanta?) but good defenders are much harder to get.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I just don't see how you can keep this guy on when he's turned a bottom feeder into a bottom feeder in 5 years, with no real clear path forward other than praying Jack Hughes and Nico Hischier are gamebreaking players that can be surrounded by plugs. He made big bets on Schneider and Subban and both look like they have come up empty. This was the year all that planning was supposed to payoff and we have this nightmare.

what big bet did he make on schneider?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I think Nasreddine needs to make this roster look at least respectable before the season ends or Shero is done. Now we can see what was Hynes and what was the roster a little bit clearer. I have no illusions re: Playoffs and Hall staying but if this defense doesn't turn respectable by the end of the season I don't get how Shero survives.

I doubt it. Nas and Hynes worked together for a decade. It’s still not going to be clear how much was Hynes because it won’t be clear where Hynes ends and Nas begins...if there’s even much difference at all.

Reactions: njd118

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
what big bet did he make on schneider?

That he'd be an NHL goalie. It wasn't an unreasonable or bold bet but it's been the most impactful one for sure and maybe the biggest reason the team appears to be a bottom 5 team this year.

I doubt it. Nas and Hynes worked together for a decade. It’s still not going to be clear how much was Hynes because it won’t be clear where Hynes ends and Nas begins...if there’s even much difference at all.

If the team is garbage all year, it's gonna be hard to defend his tenure given the state of the team after 5 years of basically cleaning house + asset accumulation. The team won the lottery twice and both those picks seem to be the only real impact players under team control for the foreseeable future. I am weary of Shero entering an offseason feeling he has to save his job, and frankly that's what he'd be theoretically facing.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
That he'd be an NHL goalie. It wasn't an unreasonable or bold bet but it's been the most impactful one for sure and maybe the biggest reason the team appears to be a bottom 5 team this year.

If the team is garbage all year, it's gonna be hard to defend his tenure given the state of the team after 5 years of basically cleaning house + asset accumulation. The team won the lottery twice and both those picks seem to be the only real impact players under team control for the foreseeable future. I am weary of Shero entering an offseason feeling he has to save his job, and frankly that's what he'd be theoretically facing.

Well I agree with you on that point. I think Shero gets next year to show something. If he’s feeling the heat this summer his panic moves could set the organization back even more and then we’re looking at a lost decade.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's crazy. All of the teams that were also playing poorly along with us (Wild, Flyers, Panthers, Rangers) are playing much better. Detroit and Ottawa seem to be the consistent black holes.

Yep the two teams actively tanking and we’re neck and neck with them after our ‘great’ summer. What a time to be alive.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
One of this team’s biggest issues remains its lack of goal scoring. Something that shouldn’t be a problem with the talent we have and brought in.

One of the big problems has already been fired, and I suspect the rest will be gone in the offseason as well.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
One of this team’s biggest issues remains its lack of goal scoring. Something that shouldn’t be a problem with the talent we have and brought in.

One of the big problems has already been fired, and I suspect the rest will be gone in the offseason as well.

minus 17-18 we haven’t been above 26th in the league in goals scored since 2012....whoever they hire next better be someone who knows offense

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014

It's rather obvious just with the eye test that the main reason for everything is the lack of fundamentals. In every aspect, be it offense, defense, transition from defense to offense, special teams, everything. I haven't watched the Nasreddine coached games, and I suspect that so far there hasn't been that many changes to the system, but based on from the 5-6? games I've seen this season when Hynes was the coach (glad he is gone), all of them looked like there was no system at all implemented in their game plan. Hard to get anything done when everyone is just skating around like headless chickens not understanding what is happening on the ice. Constant changes to the lineup really don't help with that either, how can you develop chemistry when your linemates change from game to game and in game?

In my opinion what also really stood out was the lack of leadership. The team really is in need of someone that is vocal and also leads by example. The coaching change definitely helps there, but the players really need to be held responsible also, not just by the coaches but by someone among them. Someone to calm them down when needed, someone to fire them up when needed. As much as I like Greene, he is not that guy. The apathetic and lackluster approach to what happens on the ice needs to stop. Hate seeing this loser mentality they play with.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
In my opinion what also really stood out was the lack of leadership. The team really is in need of someone that is vocal and also leads by example. The coaching change definitely helps there, but the players really need to be held responsible also, not just by the coaches but by someone among them. Someone to calm them down when needed, someone to fire them up when needed. As much as I like Greene, he is not that guy. The apathetic and lackluster approach to what happens on the ice needs to stop. Hate seeing this loser mentality they play with.

Amen. This team has no leadership whatsoever, and folds like a cheap suit at the smallest sign of adversity.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Whose bright idea was it to make Greene the captain anyway? He was a steadfast guy for us for a long time but he is the epitome of ho-hum.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It is amazing how often people need to mention it, but we as fans have absolutely f*** all knowledge of who makes a good captain and who doesn't.

Greene was named captain in Shero and Hynes' first year because he was the true veteran on that team along with Zajac. Patty was there too, but we know he really didn't play most of the season and was more gunshy about getting the C again after Sutter took it away from him the first time.

Who else was going to be captain on that roster?

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
The team’s inability to score has nothing to do with how much Greene yells or not.
It isn't just about yelling, vocal leadership or all that, but if you combine very bad coaching with supposed team leaders who just don't even seem to give a f*** when getting their assed handed to them in the first period, blowing leads left and right, folding under the slightest of pressure, what do you think this will do to the other players, especially the younger ones? It's about example and attitude, not necessarily what they say. You need leaders on the ice and on the coaching staff. Why give a f*** if the team leaders don't? What are you leaders good for if they submit to defeat instantly after the opposition strikes back? Why even have C's and A's if they don't mean a damn thing? I mean it's not the main problem but has a lot to do with what's wrong with this team. Being ok with losing is not ok.

You have to be blind to not see the obvious frustration in certain players when they are just fed up and constantly try to force plays themselves. Lack of leadership definitely relates to their play on the ice.

And yes I'm over exaggerating but you get the point.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Right now the biggest risk to this franchise is everytime Taylor Hall takes the ice .. He is our big asset .. Shero should move him immediately, obviously we don't know all the details etc and maybe the right package has not presented itself. .. but its painfully clear this team is one of the non playoff teams with or without taylor hall. he watied too long to fire hynes and can't make the same mistake with Hall .. want to talk about an epic failure of season.. getting no return for hall. right now its a massive failure .. with no return for hall it becomes epic

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
The team’s inability to score has nothing to do with how much Greene yells or not.

not saying they are related but the blown leads and constant losing are directly related to lack of leadership with a roster like ours. Coaching is a big part of it too but this team is so soft in all areas and that’s where the leadership is lacking.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
commenting on in team leadership is stupid. We don’t know, we aren’t there. Rah-rah leadership is stupid.

well when you have a lot of vets and make dumb mistakes over and over and over and constantly blow leads and lose close games that reflects extremely poorly on leadership

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
well when you have a lot of vets and make dumb mistakes over and over and over and constantly blow leads and lose close games that reflects extremely poorly on goaltending

Fixed that for you. Would be interesting to see this team get a month of solid goaltending to at least see what it could be with that anchor removed.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Whose bright idea was it to make Greene the captain anyway? He was a steadfast guy for us for a long time but he is the epitome of ho-hum.

should have just went without a captain like some teams do, Greene is a horrible one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad