Hyman vs Gallagher vs Pageau.

Which is the best player between Hyman, Gallagher and Pageau

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's Gallagher. Saying Hyman is just laughable. Gallagher is one of the best 5v5 goalscorers and possession players in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not voting because I haven't watched a ton of Gallagher and Pageau recently, but Hyman is legitimately a huge part of the Leafs. Every line he is on instantly because incredibly effective. One of the hardest working players in the league.

Amazing thinking back to the days when many people (including myself) criticized him being put on the top line.

This always confused me whenever I'd read about Leaf fans getting on Hyman. To me, he's always been a guy who was the perfect "third wheel" for a line. He does everything away from the puck you want in a third wheel that opens up space for the other two guys on the line to do their thing.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
This always confused me whenever I'd read about Leaf fans getting on Hyman. To me, he's always been a guy who was the perfect "third wheel" for a line. He does everything away from the puck you want in a third wheel that opens up space for the other two guys on the line to do their thing.

He was criticized for having stone hands. In year one, despite his role, there were times when the puck came to him in a
prime scoring area, and he couldn't do anything with the pass. Next season, he started off easy with ENGs, and then he exploded.
Still not a sniper, like his linemates, but he got in the dirty areas, more like a Holmstrom/Ciccarelli type.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
To be fair, he has progressed a huge amount from that point. The player he is today is not the player he was then. Babcock obviously saw what some of us did not though.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This poll wouldn't have been close two years ago.

A top six winger against a grinder and a third-line centre.

Really, all it says is how much ground Pageau and Hyman have made up.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Gallagher is one of the best 5v5 players in the league. All other votes are just homers voting with heart rather than brain.
Ahh yes, because Hyman is racks up the points on the power play.

No doubt that Gallagher has had a better career, but Hyman has caught up. They were on pace for the same amount of points (and goals, with a slight edge to human) last year and Hyman is ahead this year.

Sure, maybe you can give Gallagher the benefit of the doubt since he’s been better longer, but choosing any of these three to be the best at this moment is completely reasonable. One of the better polls on here.

Reactions: Maelpj93

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Interesting, I try not to vote in Leaf polls to get an idea of what the rest of HF thinks. I have Gally below both of those guys, then again I haven't seen a whole lot of him this year.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

No doubt that Gallagher has had a better career, but Hyman has caught up. They were on pace for the same amount of points (and goals, with a slight edge to human) last year and Hyman is ahead this year.

Sure, maybe you can give Gallagher the benefit of the doubt since he’s been better longer, but choosing any of these three to be the best at this moment is completely reasonable. One of the better polls on here.

Gallagher still has much better G/60, P/60 and possession numbers this year 5v5 while playing with worse linemates.

GallagherHyman
G/601.120.54
A/600.901.08
P/602.021.62
P1/601.340.90
CF%61.747.0
SF%64.049.6
GF%63.269.0
xGF%64.052.0
HDCF%65.055.2
relCF% +8.2 -1.3
relSF% +9.8 +1.3
relGF% +4.2 +12.1
relxGF% +9.7 +6.0
relHDCF% +8.1 +8.2
PDO 0.998 1.067
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
download (30).png

Hyman has not caught up 5v5. What's happened is over a small sample size of 20+ games, he's scored the same amount of points in almost 2.5 more 5v5 minutes per game, while having better linemates and an inflated 1.07 PDO. Last year, he shot nearly 20%, and again, his 5v5 numbers were not that close. He's become a very good, useful, hard-working complementary top 6 player, but he's not Gallagher. And there's no reasonable argument for him.

Last edited:

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016

Gallagher scored 19 goals in 5v5 last year in 59 games. Had 36 points.
Hyman scored 12 goals in 5v5 last year in 51 games. Had 24 points.

Is that pacing really the same, with a slight edge to Hyman, in your opinion? Didn't Hyman also play with Matthews all year? Gallagher does more work, but with Danault and Tatar in his line. He's also a possession monster, which you clearly can't say about Hyman (61%CF vs 47 this season, huge difference last year as well). Not sure where you're going with this other than basing your opinion on total scoring in about 20 games this year.

Reactions: dukeofjive

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am a fan of all 3 players, I have long been a Hyman backer going back to the days when the narrative was, but Matthews plays with Hyman. Nice to be vindicated on that one. I wouldn't mind a team full of Gallagher's. If you do not watch Pageau on a regular basis, you will not realize just how good he is. He is also a Center. A valuable one that can play in all situations. ES, PK, and PP. Faceoffs. Hard to go past him here. But like all 3 players, would have them on my team anyday.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Gallagher still has much better G/60, P/60 and possession numbers this year 5v5 while playing with worse linemates.

GallagherHyman
G/601.120.54
A/600.901.08
P/602.021.62
P1/601.340.90
CF%61.747.0
SF%64.049.6
GF%63.269.0
xGF%64.052.0
HDCF%65.055.2
relCF% +8.2 -1.3
relSF% +9.8 +1.3
relGF% +4.2 +12.1
relxGF% +9.7 +6.0
relHDCF% +8.1 +8.2
PDO 0.998 1.067
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
View attachment 403219

Hyman has not caught up 5v5. What's happened is over a small sample size of 20+ games, he's scored the same amount of points in almost 2.5 more 5v5 minutes per game, while having better linemates and an inflated 1.07 PDO. Last year, he shot nearly 20%, and again, his 5v5 numbers were not that close. He's become a very good, useful, hard-working complementary top 6 player, but he's not Gallagher. And there's no reasonable argument for him.
I did not necessarily mean he caught up in 5v5 numbers. I meant on his overall impact on the game. You can look at 5v5 all you want, and while I agree that it is the most important out of other situations, its not that much more important that you can ignore what Hyman does elsewhere - even strength in general, plays on the PP (although for less time and with better production than gallagher) and PKs (which gallagher doesn't even do). Also, say what you want about a 20 game sample, and while that is small in the grand scheme of things, when you have a player that is improving every single season, his most recent games are more indicative of success than his past games.

This is not even including his intangible effort. I doubt its any coincidence that the leafs best line for the past 4 years has been the one with hyman on it. Matthew + Nylander x 2, Tavares + Marner, Marner + Matthews. He's already turned our third line this year into something that is extremely impressive (although that's a really small sample size as he's moved around a lot). He just makes his linemates better. Simple as that.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Gallagher scored 19 goals in 5v5 last year in 59 games. Had 36 points.
Hyman scored 12 goals in 5v5 last year in 51 games. Had 24 points.

Is that pacing really the same, with a slight edge to Hyman, in your opinion? Didn't Hyman also play with Matthews all year? Gallagher does more work, but with Danault and Tatar in his line. He's also a possession monster, which you clearly can't say about Hyman (61%CF vs 47 this season, huge difference last year as well). Not sure where you're going with this other than basing your opinion on total scoring in about 20 games this year.
I didn't mean to imply he caught up in 5v5 numbers. I just meant is overall goals and points, and impact on the game. Sure, 5v5 is important, but you can't just ignore all other aspects of the game. He is better on the PP, and PKs which Gallagher doesn't even do.

And yes, he played with Matthews last year mostly however remember he came off of a huge injury and missed the start of the season. He's also the first player to get bounced around from line to line as can be seen this year, since everyone who watches the leafs knows he is the catalyst most of the time.

And sure, this is a 20 game sample size this season, but seriously, anyone who watches the leafs and him consistently will see how this guy has improved over the years. I have zero doubts that he will continue to put up a very similar production for the remainder of the season. I don't care if people pick Gallagher, or Pageau really. They all seem like similar type players to me. I just don't think anyone who is saying AINEC for any of the three is even trying to be unbiased.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00