Injury Report: Hyman out for at least 6 months with a torn ACL

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I agree to an extent. After game 1, I was suggesting that Rosen should have been playing over Gardiner for similar reasons.

That said, would you say Hyman was our worst forward, even in games 6 or 7? Probably not...

You will never see an asset played over an own rental. That would make the GM look like a moron:) Yeah, Zach was unfortunately not their worst forward even on one leg.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I’ll never understand why a player with one good leg are playing over players with two.

Petan could have been more effective than Hyman in 6 and 7
Or why did we have someone with a torn ACL playing on the 5v5 line tasked to shut down Bergeron and Marchand, and playing on the PK? Playing through injuries is one thing I have never agreed with in hockey culture. Matt Murray playing through his broken hand in the World Cup probably robbed Team North America of a silver/bronze

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I get not wanting to let your team down...BUT WHY DID HE CONTINUE TO PLAY WITH A TORN ACL!!!!

because hockey players can be dumb dumb sometimes. I still remember Bergeron playing like with a collapsed lung and all this stuff, and i am like, I get it, but i mean, hello, your health? there was that one year Getzlaf played with a hernia, and Jumbo played like on one leg because he hurt his MCL (or ACL. it was his knee thing for sure). i think honestly it takes more strength to say "I'm injured and I can't play." then to try to go out there and force something and risk your health and the ability to play further .

Honestly, i really do hope that Hyman gets better soon. he gets a lot of poo flung his way, and the last three years he's shown when the calendar turns to playoffs, he is one of our very best players. I also hope this doesn't hurt his mobility or anything.

I also hope that he didn't say anything to anyone, because if Babcock knew he had a torn MCL, then he should have adjusted.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
because hockey players can be dumb dumb sometimes. I still remember Bergeron playing like with a collapsed lung and all this stuff, and i am like, I get it, but i mean, hello, your health? there was that one year Getzlaf played with a hernia, and Jumbo played like on one leg because he hurt his MCL (or ACL. it was his knee thing for sure). i think honestly it takes more strength to say "I'm injured and I can't play." then to try to go out there and force something and risk your health and the ability to play further .

Honestly, i really do hope that Hyman gets better soon. he gets a lot of poo flung his way, and the last three years he's shown when the calendar turns to playoffs, he is one of our very best players. I also hope this doesn't hurt his mobility or anything.

I also hope that he didn't say anything to anyone, because if Babcock knew he had a torn MCL, then he should have adjusted.

This x1000.

Like I said I get it. Dude's a warrior, but at some point you become less effective and we all saw it as the series wore, we all knew he was injured. Petan is not Hyman, but maybe you bring Moore up to Hyman's spot because Moore was having a hell of a series, and put Petan on the 4th.

Reactions: Zach X 23

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
which sucks but he isn't a skilled guy so I don't think he will run into the same problems as Nylander did when he got back into the lineup.
Hyman just runs into people and gives the skilled players the puck while crashing the net. He just needs to do everything he can to stay in shape and not gain to much weight sitting on the couch for 6mths

Reactions: Zach X 23

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I’ll never understand why a player with one good leg are playing over players with two.

Petan could have been more effective than Hyman in 6 and 7

He didn't play that much in games 6 and 7, the real question here is why the medical staff allowed him to play at all.

Hyman missed some practices and shifts and it should have been apparent he wasn't right same as Gardiner, this shows a real lack of Depth on the team.

Dubas better correct this situation, before next year rolls around he got Tavares and Muzzin best deals but he will have to do much more, we can chalk it up to inexperience but from here on in, getting rid of the deadwood and getting some players that can be inserted into the lineup, with little drop in performance would go a long way to winning the 1st round in the playoff run.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I disagree.

I think it shows a lack of head coach who is willing to shift his thinking.

We were warned.

I think it might be a little of both. Who does the Marlies have that can replace him ?

I am pretty tired of fans ripping Babcock. I can't believe people like Dubas are off the hook.

Reactions: AejonStarkgaryen

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
He didn't play that much in games 6 and 7, the real question here is why the medical staff allowed him to play at all.

Hyman missed some practices and shifts and it should have been apparent he wasn't right same as Gardiner, this shows a real lack of Depth on the team.

Dubas better correct this situation, before next year rolls around he got Tavares and Muzzin best deals but he will have to do much more, we can chalk it up to inexperience but from here on in, getting rid of the deadwood and getting some players that can be inserted into the lineup, with little drop in performance would go a long way to winning the 1st round in the playoff run.

He played more than Matthews in the 3rd period of game 7.

Reactions: stopclickbait

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Knew he had to be dealing with something. That's very painful. He just wasnt Hyman these playoffs. He was great last year. Wish him a speedy recovery. Hyman is a warrior. See you in October.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Wonder if they will say that Rielly was also nursing an injury (lower body too as Rielly was not skating the same).

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I disagree.

I think it shows a lack of head coach who is willing to shift his thinking.

We were warned.

That’s part of the lack of depth. Players weren’t prepared.
Why did they trade for Petan anyway?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I agree to an extent. After game 1, I was suggesting that Rosen should have been playing over Gardiner for similar reasons.

That said, would you say Hyman was our worst forward, even in games 6 or 7? Probably not...

He doesn’t need to be our worst forward.

He was invisible in both games though and our PK wasn’t good.

Heck, even if he and Moore or Ennis just switched places at 5v5. Brings his minutes waaaay down and would have helped Marner and Tavares as well.

Hyman, with a tor new ligament, played more at 5v5 than Matthews did at Game 7.

It’s just inexcusable coaching.

Why the hell do we have this giant “Sports Science” department? Not one of them said “maybe we shouldn’t give the go ahead for someone with a torn ligament to play?”

Reactions: stopclickbait

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He doesn’t need to be our worst forward.

He was invisible in both games though and our PK wasn’t good.

Heck, even if he and Moore or Ennis just switched places at 5v5. Brings his minutes waaaay down and would have helped Marner and Tavares as well.

Hyman, with a tor new ligament, played more at 5v5 than Matthews did at Game 7.

It’s just inexcusable coaching.

Why the hell do we have this giant “Sports Science” department? Not one of them said “maybe we shouldn’t give the go ahead for someone with a torn ligament to play?”

We're of the same mind. The more stuff that is coming out the less and less I want Babcock back at this point.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Props to Hyman for playing through that. That is really tough.
On the other hand, why was he still thrown on the top line in Games 6 and 7, when he was clearly injured and not himself? Trevor Moore who was a beast should have played up. Another Babcock gaff.

Pretty sure thats not Babs' call alone, but nice try

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Dam. That sucks.

I have torn my ACL before and I can tell you, it takes ALOT longer then 6 months to recover. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s out until at least the ASB.

It takes 6 months just to get used to walking doing daily routines.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Let's not pretend like it was at all evident Hyman was playing with a torn ACL, so as to bash Babcock.

It was evident that he was pretty much useless with the puck in the offensive zone.

If Babcock didn't notice that he was playing through a serious injury that's almost as much of an indictment of him as if he knew and played him anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad