Injury Report: Hyman out for at least 6 months with a torn ACL

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
21 goals last year and he is considered a plug? interesting take that is for sure.
I mean, David Clarkson did score 30 goals. Sometimes, decent players benefit from playing with great players. That said, I think Hyman is good but if he wasn't playing with Tavares and Matthews, he wouldn't get half the points he has lol

Reactions: stopclickbait

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Babcocks stupidity an stubbornness knocked us out two years in a row. Hyman is just plug lets leave at that

If you believe Babcock purposely sabotaged the team, you actually have issues.

Hyman is a 20 goal scorer for 2mil/year. That's great bang for your buck

Last edited by a moderator:

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Why do you post things that make you look like you didn't graduate elementary school?

I mean, David Clarkson did score 30 goals. Sometimes, decent players benefit from playing with great players. That said, I think Hyman is good but if he wasn't playing with Tavares and Matthews, he wouldn't get half the points he has lol

Why do you post things that make you look like you didn't graduate elementary school?

To be fair though, Hyman did play with 3 superstars in his career so far and one very good player in Nylander
Not to mention 6 of his 21 goals last year did come from empty netters

His numbs are grossly inflated

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
To be fair though, Hyman did play with 3 superstars in his career so far and one very good player in Nylander
Not to mention 6 of his 21 goals last year did come from empty netters

His numbs are grossly inflated
The most frustrating thing about Hyman is that, he gets into good positions , but the guy isn't a goal scorer by any means and squanders a lot of good scoring chances. Hopefully he finds a bit more good fortunes going forward

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
If you believe Babcock purposely sabotaged the team, you actually have issues

Babcock doesn’t need to do anything purposely to sabotage something, he does it on his own naturally.

He is arguably the most overrated coach in the league.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The most frustrating thing about Hyman is that, he gets into good positions , but the guy isn't a goal scorer by any means and squanders a lot of good scoring chances. Hopefully he finds a bit more good fortunes going forward

He literally just needs to learn to elevate the puck quickly. It doesn't need to be a hard shot, just get it off fast and get it off the ice.

If you watch a highlite reel of every one of Hyman's goals, he does not score a single goal where he elevates the puck other than when he has time and space on a PK breakaway. Every single one of his ES goals is either slid along the ice, deflected, stuffed in, or a wraparound.

That's absolutely insane, how is an NHL forward not capable of lifting the puck 12 inches without needing 2 full seconds of wind-up time with no interference? He'd be a legitimate threat for 30 goals at ES if he had average shooting mechanics.

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

I never said Babcock purposely sabotaged the team, he is a good coach but his style of coaching is no longer effective. Plug does not mean he is a bad player, you play him on the third or fourth line where he belongs and see how many goals he scores.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I never said Babcock purposely sabotaged the team, he is a good coach but his style of coaching is no longer effective. Plug does not mean he is a bad player, you play him on the third or fourth line where he belongs and see how many goals he scores.
Plug means you suck get off the ice yah bum.

Reactions: saltming

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The best thing about Hyman is that he costs 2.25MM and is part of the best scoring trio in the NHL. He puts up way more points than a guy like Kassian who plays with McDavid and Drai. He is a bargain for what he does

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
The best thing about Hyman is that he costs 2.25MM and is part of the best scoring trio in the NHL. He puts up way more points than a guy like Kassian who plays with McDavid and Drai. He is a bargain for what he does
Absolutely. He also does a lot of the dirty work on that line too. I think he's very underappreciated among Leafs fans because of his mediocre offensive abilities but he adds balance to that line and helps out quite a bit. His offensive numbers have continually gone up, so I worry that he'll ask for a bit of a hefty raise in 2 years time.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
No plug means you can play with two other good players who are way above your tier, and the coach likes you.
Plug- another term for a bad player, only good for a plug in the end of a stick. Grocery stick- a player who doesn't see the ice, and sits on the bench and separates the players who do play. The boys- a reference to the boys on the team, strictly a hockey term.

define plug in hockey - Google Search

You're not saying what you mean to say I believe.

Reactions: Its not your fault

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Lol Hyman is not a 20 goal scorer my friend. He was heavily propped up by his linemates and had a boatload of EN goals. No GM in the league would acknowledge Hyman as a 20 goal guy if they were to try trade for him.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lol Hyman is not a 20 goal scorer my friend. He was heavily propped up by his linemates and had a boatload of EN goals. No GM in the league would acknowledge Hyman as a 20 goal guy if they were to try trade for him.

Gotta give him credit. 20 goals without any PP time is no mean feat.

And even without the empty net points counted, his even strength p60 numbers are legit good and definitely top-6 worthy.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Linemate. Let's remember that Marner is carried. It is only JT :sarcasm:

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Gotta give him credit. 20 goals without any PP time is no mean feat.

And even without the empty net points counted, his even strength p60 numbers are legit good and definitely top-6 worthy.
He is an interesting guy for sure. Not great hands but plays specific altruistic aspects of the game very well. I think he is more than the sum of his points.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
No plug means you can play with two other good players who are way above your tier, and the coach likes you.
Still a plug should not be able to make your line up or your worst player on the team you harp on him call him a plug. "Stop gap" is a plug you fill a hole with that works but is not idea for the circumstances for a long duration or comes with faults that the right part would not have IE. Your toilet still runs but now you can use it for today till the hardwear store opens up tomorrow. Plug being used as a descriptor in adjective form but plugging him in the line up to fill a hole isn't the same plug as but end plug or just useless. Kinda like how people miss use tool. Tools are still useful for a purpose but lack general sense and a lack of thinking for oneself.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Every time he gets a short handed breakaway, it’s like good hustle ,kid... but you know he won’t score. I’m a big fan of how he plays, and he’s a model citizen. But his hands are what they are.

Reactions: KuleminFan41

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Every time he gets a short handed breakaway, it’s like good hustle ,kid... but you know he won’t score. I’m a big fan of how he plays, and he’s a model citizen. But his hands are what they are.

Funny, I remember lots of people saying the same thing about Kapanen.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Funny, no one said that Marleau wasn't a 20 goal scorer anymore when he was getting a boatload of EN goals to prop up his number.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
the lines and ice time aren't Babs call? maybe I am reading this wrong but it seems to me that is exactly what Babs job is...managing ice time and lineups...that's why he gets paid what 8M a year? if not then why the H-E double hockey sticks are we paying him 8M per year lol

Are you implying if the lines were different we would have won that series?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Hyman on any other team would be playing on the third line, maybe forth.

Look, I love Hyman, he does all the right things but let’s not kid ourselves on what he is. I suspect Mikheyev and Johnsson will push Hyman down to where he should be. The nice thing is we know he can step up and do the right things when asked to play up in the lineup.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Funny, no one said that Marleau wasn't a 20 goal scorer anymore when he was getting a boatload of EN goals to prop up his number.
it was mentioned quite often his numbers were inflated by his empty net goals/pts

but unlike Hyman he still scored 20 without the empty netters his first year with us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad