Post-Game Talk: Hydrocarbons @ Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I quick check of the current stats show the 4 1st period goals the other day pushed the 1st period scoring past the 2nd period.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't think so. the team's results suggest that they play a grind it out game plan. they score more in the 2nd than 1st period and are consistant with that. they score far more in the 3rd. Looks a lot like they wear the opponent down which is why you play heavy.

its the hockey version of the john riggings redskins.

Are you watching the games or just looking at stats?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Holy Overreaction.

Not sure why the game yesterday was a surprise to anyone. Trotz said before the game that it was going to be a defensive battle. That's exactly what it was. That's exactly the type of game we need to be able to WIN, because we'll be seeing it over and over in the playoffs. Pre-Trotz Capitals could almost never win those games.

It's actually quite nice that Trotz can have this team playing like that AND like they did against Colorado. It's not so much a lack of effort as it is Trotz making adjustments to the gameplan.

For all the *****ing here about "effort" I don't think people realize that going balls to the wall every shift will tire out a player real quick, both in the span of a game and the span of a season. Hockey just doesn't work like that.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Holy Overreaction.

Not sure why the game yesterday was a surprise to anyone. Trotz said before the game that it was going to be a defensive battle. That's exactly what it was. That's exactly the type of game we need to be able to WIN, because we'll be seeing it over and over in the playoffs. Pre-Trotz Capitals could almost never win those games.

It's actually quite nice that Trotz can have this team playing like that AND like they did against Colorado. It's not so much a lack of effort as it is Trotz making adjustments to the gameplan.

For all the *****ing here about "effort" I don't think people realize that going balls to the wall every shift will tire out a player real quick, both in the span of a game and the span of a season. Hockey just doesn't work like that.

I'm not asking for balls to the wall effort every shift but flat out lazy and disinterested shifts aren't acceptable either. Especially from the captain.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It wasn't a defensive battle. It was the Oilers running circles around everyone in red but Braden Holtby.

Not nearly that bad. I guess you missed the multiple shifts by the Kuz line where they ran a clinic on how to cycle and create chances.

It wasn't the Caps best effort but the hyperbole around here is quite over the top.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You said this game. Maybe Trotz can coach this long-standing habit out of them (not sure) but I think it's clear that no single game is going to "wake them up."

I just hope the players (especially #8) aren't oblivious to their weaknesses and lack of consistency and that this game against the Oilers makes them realize it.

Trotz doesn't like half-assed efforts, I'm sure he has let the players know that by now.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I guess I'm not sure what people around here expect? As of today the Caps sit 2nd in the Metro, 3rd in the Eastern Conference, 5th in the NHL, 5th in G/game, 4th in GA/game, 7th in PP, 5th in PK, 4th in GD, 3rd in GF%, 5th in CF%, etc.

So I'll ask again: are they so much more talented than everyone that they can be one of the elite teams in the NHL without trying? Is the "effort" argument mostly garbage? Are people going to be upset if every game isn't won 7-0 with a 40-8 advantage in shots?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I guess I'm not sure what people around here expect? As of today the Caps sit 2nd in the Metro, 3rd in the Eastern Conference, 5th in the NHL, 5th in G/game, 4th in GA/game, 7th in PP, 5th in PK, 4th in GD, 3rd in GF%, 5th in CF%, etc.

So I'll ask again: are they so much more talented than everyone that they can be one of the elite teams in the NHL without trying? Is the "effort" argument mostly garbage? Are people going to be upset if every game isn't won 7-0 with a 40-8 advantage in shots?

Exactly. Well said

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Yeah, like I said. Overreaction. It was not nearly that bad.

Not nearly that bad. I guess you missed the multiple shifts by the Kuz line where they ran a clinic on how to cycle and create chances.

It wasn't the Caps best effort but the hyperbole around here is quite over the top.

We clearly saw different things. I saw a game in which the Caps couldn't create anything unless the Oilers were literally too far from their bench to change. No speed through the neutral zone, bad passing, poor decision making, mishandled pucks, missed defensive assignments - you name it, it was a problem for the Caps last night. Had that been against any opponent other than the worst team in the league who was also missing their best player, or Holtby not played one of the best games of his career, they get destroyed.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
We clearly saw different things. I saw a game in which the Caps couldn't create anything unless the Oilers were literally too far from their bench to change. No speed through the neutral zone, bad passing, poor decision making, mishandled pucks, missed defensive assignments - you name it, it was a problem for the Caps last night. Had that been against any opponent other than the worst team in the league who was also missing their best player, or Holtby not played one of the best games of his career, they get destroyed.

This is how I saw it too. But I don't agree with the bit that they'd get destroyed because we've seen the team play well after getting scored on. Problem is urgency and the ability to start playing like the game matters while the game is 0-0.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

The Internet provides a voice to the neurotic fans out there who obsess a little too much. Welcome to the New World Order! ;)

Ugly wins count! Move on an hope to improve! Is it playoff time yet?!?!?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

I wouldn't go as far as saying that they didn't create anything (chances 26-31, high-danger chances 9-8), but they really only had 1 line that created most of those chances. 1st line and 4th line got pretty much dominated in that regard, although the 4th line eventually was the one that got to the scoreboard.

Top-line match-up was men against boys in terms of creating chances. They played around 10 minutes against each other and their Hall-Draisatl-Purcell trio against our top-line has CF% numbers between 75-85%. That is just brutal.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Clearly. Why, exactly, do you think the Oilers were too far from their bench to change? Probably had nothing to do with the fact that they couldn't change due to the Caps forechecking and cycling, right?

I love the hyperbole. "They get destroyed if Holtby doesn't play one of the best games of his career." The Caps had 3 less shots, doubled them up in hits, had 1 fewer giveaway, 5 more takeaways, won 9 more faceoffs. Nilsson stopped 29 of 30. Again, the Caps were not their sharpest, but continue painting the picture of a JV vs Varsity game last night if it makes you feel better.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The players themselves gave huge praise to Holtby's performance and rightly so. Trotz has admitted he hasn't really liked their "consistency" the last 8 or 9 games and has time and again called out their slow starts.
I don't think anyone is expecting superhuman work ethic. To me it's always been about decision-making and efficiency instead of work ethic. It's just as much about the plays not made as those made and willed through via maniacal zeal. Efficiency is the sign of a team in a groove but much of this team's groove typically just seems complacent.

Maybe that it was so close vs. EDM makes some anxious given how one-sided their play has been against weaker teams? The Caps are 9-0-1 against teams currently outside of the top eight in each conference. That, of course, makes them 5-5-0 against teams in playoff position (with two of those wins coming against BOS/NJD fringe teams). Coming up on Thanksgiving that makes for a decent indicator.

Their best win to-date is against a tired Chicago team. To their credit they haven't had a clunker against weaker teams but their schedule hasn't offered enough measuring stick games. They'll start getting more over the next month, starting with three against Tampa Bay (albeit a current non-playoff team today). I'm ready for them to convince me but I still don't get the sense they're mature enough.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Are you watching the games or just looking at stats?

I love that question everytime I see it. You know I am watching the games and Ive been watching the games long enough to know what I am seeing when I watch. Listen to the different comments when they have a slow start. Sometimes its described as just that. Often however it is not. Its them playing their game.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I love that question everytime I see it. You know I am watching the games and Ive been watching the games long enough to know what I am seeing when I watch. Listen to the different comments when they have a slow start. Sometimes its described as just that. Often however it is not. Its them playing their game.

It's a fair question because you have a fondness for taking simple and isolated stats and extrapolating broader statements out of them, like you did here.

They are not playing a heavy game and they are not wearing down opponents. I don't see it and I doubt any meaningful stats really support it. Their 3rd period surges are more about desperation and better puck control. More importantly, those surges have only been necessary because they've been playing from behind so much.

Some are focusing entirely too much on the "effort" component and I'm talking much more about the style of play. I don't know what people think a "heavy game" is but it's more than just exertion. It's hitting, pressuring toward the perimeter, getting the puck deep, contesting all passes and shots, being physical and accountable in general, going to the net for screens/deflections/rebounds, etc.

We were that team all last year. We're not that team now. And nobody seems to notice or care, which wouldn't be so bad if the alternative was more cohesive and efficient, which it isn't (yet?)

Yes, it's a little concerning that the game was so close, but I'm not freaking out about that. I'm asking honest questions about team identity and it spans more than one game.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Hitting the playoff switch?

Not much more than...

Hitting
Blocking shots
Clearing the crease

That's how they should play in the RS. What I call, playing heavy.

Great, MJ starts hitting out of no where in game 1. Does it lead to anything? No, because his linemates were as stunned as you were. And it's gone for another year. Why wait until the playoffs to protect Holtby or eat a puck. Cue Happy Gilmore getting ready for the season.

The regular season often looks like a friendly.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm asking honest questions about team identity and it spans more than one game.

I listen pretty close to what trotz says and what the assistants say during their bites of the night. I see no sign of an identity change. They want to see as much contact as they can get early in games. when they are not getting that you hear them complain about the start.

I see no signs trotz is changing or worried about team identity

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
6F4zJSH.gif

found this from last night

first ovechkin, now holtby? :laugh:

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC

They have had one of the easiest schedules in the league...I dont like the "turn it up when we have to" mentality. I do understand conserving energy during the season. But, they have done their job at this point in the season...get points. Last season the team chased points most of the season. Team is in front of the 8 ball this season.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Btw, Williams is above his ppg of previous seasons so far. AFAIR, significantly. Quite a pleasure to watch the guy. Calming presence (c).

Holtby is also very calming. There hardly were many rebounds last game, for example. Just save then one more then another one. In November, no less. Guy is seriously self motivated after his new contract. A prime candidate for Conn Smythe, if we are to advance far.

On this expectations/points/effort topic. We could have had an easy schedule. But it's still not Winter, so we will get Ovechkin on the roster soon. It has to offset the schedule a bit :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad