Post-Game Talk: Hydrocarbons @ Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Oshie is not scoring right now but he's keeping plays alive with some insane effort and skill. If you look at his full traditional stat line (hits, blocks, faceoffs, shots, etc) he's got decent numbers across the board, but his points and shooting % need to rebound to at least his career levels. Hopefully soon.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It would help a lot if he were playing with more than 1/4 of an Ovechkin.

That.

Which for some reason reminded me...what is Trotz doing right now? Is he still emphasizing the "heavy game"? What's this team's identity?

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
That.

Which for some reason reminded me...what is Trotz doing right now? Is he still emphasizing the "heavy game"? What's this team's identity?
The identity is make it to the playoffs and go from there.

The fact this team is where it's at and isn't even playing all on cylinders yet is pretty frightening. When they get it figured out later in the year? Yeah.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

The fact this team is where it's at and isn't even playing all on cylinders yet is pretty frightening. When they get it figured out later in the year? Yeah.

Yeah, ok, that's more of a goal than an identity, the latter of which is something we know was central to Trotz's philosophy in the past.

The question is, is Trotz is getting away from the "heavy game" by choice? When I see these bad neutral zone plays, it looks like the team is freelancing offensively compared to last year's unified approach of getting the puck deep and going from there. These cutesy neutral zone passes that aren't connecting instead become clean passes to a man waiting at the red line for a redirect to the o-zone, or else the puck is skated to center and dumped if contested.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I don't think you want to play a full on "heavy" game in November. Do you?

Save that style for April/June. I'm fine with semi freelancing for now if it means conserving health for the playoff run. Get everyone used to playing with one another....get points...start implementing the playoff system right before the playoffs....let the bodies hit the floor.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Yeah, ok, that's more of a goal than an identity, the latter of which is something we know was central to Trotz's philosophy in the past.

The question is, is Trotz is getting away from the "heavy game" by choice? When I see these bad neutral zone plays, it looks like the team is freelancing offensively compared to last year's unified approach of getting the puck deep and going from there. These cutesy neutral zone passes that aren't connecting instead become clean passes to a man waiting at the red line for a redirect to the o-zone, or else the puck is skated to center and dumped if contested.

I hope he's getting away from an exclusive "heavy game" like we had last year. I don't believe we had a prayer making it to the SC finals, even if we did get past NY. Teams that can gather the puck and get it out quickly after dump ins will be a problem if that is our only approach. We need to be able to enter the zone with control as well, and that requires having some semblance of puck carrying and short passing ability. We have the players to do that now, so use it. The more balanced our attack the better.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD

I agree and have been saying the same thing. We're winning while not going full out. Still have some guys learning the system and each other. It's about the playoffs. I believe we'll see the Caps team we all want once the second season starts.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This team takes the easiest route to success regardless of whether it's the regular season or playoffs. There is no switch. They'll be a bit more focused come playoff time but IMO they are who they are. Team defense is primarily their identity. Sticking to the script is their identity. Everything else is secondary.

It will come down to whether they can make enough plays. In that regard the development of Burakovsky is key. They need him going in a depth role at the very least. It's the one element that might be the easiest to fix among all of their lingering warts.

Oshie seems slower than I recall in St. Louis, although part of that may be how choppy they are generally. Even if he starts finishing more he seems unlikely to hit his career norm assist totals. They should put Kuznetsov back with him and Ovechkin regardless. 92 easily provides more dynamic 5-on-5 attacking when going.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Oshie looks the same he did in St. Louis if you ask me: he's got above average speed, insane hands and creativity, good game without the puck, but he's not a great finisher. I'm happy with him. But Kuzya should center him and AO.

By the way, I can't believe we all missed that 1st period elbow bolt on Beagle.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Beagle let the ref have it for missing that. They also missed the guy jumping on Wilson's back in neutral ice early in the game - and then turn around later and call a penalty on him for being strong enough to body the Oil guy off the puck and onto his arse. If the Caps front office aren't talking to the league about this stuff, it's gross negligence.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
lol

I'm starting to think we may need a "Penalties Tom Wilson Did Not Actually Commit" thread to document it all.

Add the ones where the opposing guy gets away without a penalty because of infraction on Wilson and that thread hits 1000 posts before Christmas.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Come on now, Trotz taught them many things since he came here last year. He isn't afraid to crack the whip in practice if something is going wrong.

You said this game. Maybe Trotz can coach this long-standing habit out of them (not sure) but I think it's clear that no single game is going to "wake them up."

They're good at talking, specific players particularly.

Pretty much this.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Did you watch any of the post game interviews? Everyone said they played poorly and Holtby was the only reason they won. They sounded like they lost.

So when do they make the effort to change? I'm tired of hearing about it. DO something for a change.

This is a double edged sword. Yes it's terrifying that they aren't hitting on all cylinders and still getting points but that can also lead to not doing the work to because we're getting points anyway. There is still too much lack of effort going on for my liking. Every player has that from time to time but it's far too prevalent from the entire team.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
So when do they make the effort to change? I'm tired of hearing about it. DO something for a change.

This is a double edged sword. Yes it's terrifying that they aren't hitting on all cylinders and still getting points but that can also lead to not doing the work to because we're getting points anyway. There is still too much lack of effort going on for my liking. Every player has that from time to time but it's far too prevalent from the entire team.

They have had a very easy start to the season if you check the teams they've faced so far. Racking up points against the bottom teams obviously helps but against teams that currently stand on a playoff spot, they haven't been impressive. Record shows that too.

Take your foot off the gas just waiting for the playoffs and you'll be heading towards a losing streak when the tougher part of the schedule starts. I would rather have the inevitable Game 7 at VC rather than MSG this season.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I can't believe we'd even consider allowing a "we'll switch it on when we need to" option for this pathologically "just enough" team.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I can't believe we'd even consider allowing a "we'll switch it on when we need to" option for this pathologically "just enough" team.

I hate the laziness. Hate it. But they surely played 14 very tough, full effort games last post season. I don't think you can deny May hockey is different than November hockey. I'm not excusing anything though; as always they need to increase the "want-to" level. They are ZzzzzZzzzz to watch many nights...

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I don't think there's an actual switch...aside from it being regular season vs playoffs. Thats just the way it is. Would it be nice to have a total effort each and every night? Sure. But that's just not happening for any team in this league each game night in and night out.

I just hope they are focused when these games really count. That's all I can hope for as a fan, GM, coach, scout, whatever. They added a playoff guy in Williams...they are getting the other key pieces minutes...so we just wait to see how it goes.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I hate the laziness. Hate it. But they surely played 14 very tough, full effort games last post season. I don't think you can deny May hockey is different than November hockey. I'm not excusing anything though; as always they need to increase the "want-to" level. They are ZzzzzZzzzz to watch many nights...

The difference is last year Trotz was hammering his heavy system into them all year long. It was the big story we heard about in all the media..."Caps are finally using a 'playoff style' of hockey in the regular season". So they didn't actually turn it on last season, they worked on it all year. They're not doing what they did last year, and we're not hearing the same soundbites. It's not just laziness, it's system emphasis.

I think Langway was getting at it when he said "team defense" is about the only system that's currently evident. They may have moved on from "heavy game" to "stick to the script" because they're emphasizing team defense and then who knows what offensively. My question is, what is that offensive component? Is it line by line? Game by game?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
My feelings: I would love a harder effort, but they are winning even without the effort. Though they've not done great against good teams, they played very well against Dallas; yeah they lost, but it was a very well played game and one I can't get too upset about losing. Their biggest issue in that game, besides Chimmer's brain cramp, was poor finishing.

I expect the effort level to ramp up in the second half and going into the playoffs and with that heightened compete level, anticipate that the pucks will start going in more. Meanwhile, bank the points against the dregs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The question is, is Trotz is getting away from the "heavy game" by choice?.

I don't think so. the team's results suggest that they play a grind it out game plan. they score more in the 2nd than 1st period and are consistant with that. they score far more in the 3rd. Looks a lot like they wear the opponent down which is why you play heavy.

its the hockey version of the john riggings redskins.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don't think so. the team's results suggest that they play a grind it out game plan. they score more in the 2nd than 1st period and are consistant with that. they score far more in the 3rd. Looks a lot like they wear the opponent down which is why you play heavy.

its the hockey version of the john riggings redskins.

High praise. They have still some work to do to earn that analogy, but I take your meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad