Waived: Hutchinson || Update: Cleared and assigned to the Marlies

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
No, it's not. He made the correct logical decision at the time, and the whole zero impact the unfortunate result had is behind us and has nothing to do with the present.

Expecting somebody to get fired over this is insanity.

People like you have zero idea what free speech even means. It doesn't mean you get to say stupid things based on chosen ignorance and not have your peers criticize it.

The best chance of getting them through waivers was then, when everybody is going through waivers and teams are set. Considering backups already have a limited role on this team, I don't know what else we would have learned anytime soon, and it would have meant potentially losing depth that we were more likely to need. Sparks actually won a lot of his early games that year anyway.

Comparing the 2015-2016 roster to the 2018-2019 roster is ridiculous.
Could you give your interpretation of what 'free speech' is? Seems to be a moving target,as i have heard/read many variations. I can agree that there are consequences for saying things that others find upsetting(even if it's truthful) but, I cannot agree someone being told they cannot say it!

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
except. Like we already said we absolutely DID get that for 2 years with mac.

A waiver wire retread.

It’s possible. It already happened.

It won't happen. People forget that McBackup had a losing record in his first season with the Leafs, and the heroics they remember him for that season did not occur in second half of back t0 backs (but instead were late in the season when Freddie was battling injuries).

What the Leafs' are asking their backup to do will never be successful, as current NHL goalies understand, like the goalie who texted Colaiacovo today.

Reactions: GermanLeaf

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Goalie no doubt. McElhinney played out of his mind that year. He prepared meticulously for each opponent and was ready. Most backups can't do that. He had his best year, or one of, if I'm not mistaken. An example where he made the coach look smart. McElhinney was so good he gave Andersen less starts and was fresh for playoffs. Andersen wasn't that great in the playoffs it seems the extended rest threw him off. Goalies are weird.

McElhinney has fallen off from the way he was as a Leaf few years ago. Not surprised considering his age.

Fair to say it was among his better seasons. He did put up his best SV%, but didn't set a single season high for GP.

My point was essentially that the goalie utilization hasn't changed all that much since McElhinney was the backup (injury to Andersen last season aside). The backups have changed though. If the backup can't hack it well enough, that's (eventually) going to show. Of course, I don't expect Andersen to start 68 games this season, so the backup(s) should see more than 14 starts (only back-to-backs).

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It won't happen. People forget that McBackup had a losing record in his first season with the Leafs, and the heroics they remember him for that season did not occur in second half of back t0 backs (but instead were late in the season when Freddie was battling injuries).

What the Leafs' are asking their backup to do will never be successful, as current NHL goalies understand, like the goalie who texted Colaiacovo today.

Ya man you really need to look at the stats again.
In his second year. Mac played 2nd games. And was great.

it can happen. It’s not easy. It’s not
Impossible.

Mack had a .925%. He was well above 500.

just get a 500 back up. That’s not impossible.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009

You seem to forget his actual numbers were pretty strong, 2.85 GAA with a .914 SV% is pretty good for a back up. Hutchison with the Leafs has been 3.56 GAA with a .895 SV%, Sparks was 3.09 GAA with .898 SV%. Fact is, Mcelhiney gave the team a much better chance at winning their games than Sparks and Hutchison did, even in his first season.

Reactions: DarkKnight

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Fair to say it was among his better seasons. He did put up his best SV%, but didn't set a single season high for GP.

My point was essentially that the goalie utilization hasn't changed all that much since McElhinney was the backup (injury to Andersen last season aside). The backups have changed though. If the backup can't hack it well enough, that's (eventually) going to show. Of course, I don't expect Andersen to start 68 games this season, so the backup(s) should see more than 14 starts (only back-to-backs).
Babcock symptoms show on each area of this team: offense, defense, goaltending. And not in a good way.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Just thinking out loud here .....

Why not put the backup goalie on the 1st game of a back to back and put Anderson in the 2nd game.

That might help Leafs win the 2nd game. Why stick something that is clearly not working.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Why not put the backup goalie on the 1st game of a back to back and put Anderson in the 2nd game.

That might help Leafs win the 2nd game. Why stick something that is clearly not working.

8/10 points earned in Game 1s, 1/10 points earned in Game 2s. Part of it looks to be working IMO. Changing things may or may not be more successful.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We have gone from McB, Sparks, Hutch, KK. If Sparks > Hutch (as some think), our backup is trending in the wrong direction. Now we are asking KK to hold the fort until Dubas can find a backup that fits under our cap and is better than McB. Is Dubas up to the challenge?? Doubt it.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
8/10 points earned in Game 1s, 1/10 points earned in Game 2s. Part of it looks to be working IMO. Changing things may or may not be more successful.
The problem is the backup goalie, they don't have one.

Your post conclusively proves that.

The Leafs would be very close to 1st place if the backup goalie got a few points for the team, but he could not make a save to save himself.

:thumbu:

Reactions: Petrus and Buds17

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
People like you have zero idea what free speech even means. It doesn't mean you get to say stupid things based on chosen ignorance and not have your peers criticize it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Reply
This is how euphemisms get started. If you get fired for saying something, regarded by some, to be politically incorrect, then you have not really been fired; you have merely been "criticized by your peers"! HR down at Corporate HQ is going to be loving this.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Could you give your interpretation of what 'free speech' is? Seems to be a moving target,as i have heard/read many variations. I can agree that there are consequences for saying things that others find upsetting(even if it's truthful) but, I cannot agree someone being told they cannot say it!
For the most part, freedom of speech means that the government cannot go after you for things you say, and even that has tons of limitations related to hate speech, libel, etc.

It does not prevent you from facing consequences for that speech from your peers/job, and it does not prevent people from telling you how stupid and wrong the speech is, while providing evidence for the rest of the peers to see.

People have gotten it into their heads that "freedom of speech" is a shield behind which you can spew ignorance about anything at any time, unimpeded by anyone.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We have gone from McB, Sparks, Hutch, KK. If Sparks > Hutch (as some think), our backup is trending in the wrong direction. Now we are asking KK to hold the fort until Dubas can find a backup that fits under our cap and is better than McB. Is Dubas up to the challenge?? Doubt it.
We would have lost our minds if people told us KK was going to be our backup in September...yet here we sit. Let’s hope he’s up for the challenge, because objectively this isn’t good....never mind Freddie’s “workload” talk, out the window! We’re one “run the goalie” from outright disaster.

Reactions: ToneDog

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

"Free Speech" means you cannot be charged with a crime for your speech, with exceptions like yelling "fire!" in a crowded theater, libel/slander, etc. That's what it means and there is little to interpret.

It has nothing at all to do with the Don Cherry situation, if that's why you are asking, and I'm not sure why this is in the goalie thread.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Now we are asking KK to hold the fort until Dubas can find a backup that fits under our cap and is better than McB.
That's the whole problem. You're waiting for Dubas to go and bring in somebody who can do what McBackup did, or better. The McBackup you're remembering was playing at vezina-level quality over his small sample with us that year. That is completely unrealistic to expect.

And again, McBackup's contract ended last season. He was a free agent. Regardless of what Dubas did last year, he would currently be gone anyway. It has absolutely zero impact on this current season.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
That's the whole problem. You're waiting for Dubas to go and bring in somebody who can do what McBackup did, or better. The McBackup you're remembering was playing at vezina-level quality over his small sample with us that year. That is completely unrealistic to expect.

And again, McBackup's contract ended last season. He was a free agent. Regardless of what Dubas did last year, he would currently be gone anyway. It has absolutely zero impact on this current season.

There’s no way we could’ve afforded him if he put up even a .910 save percentage for us last season. People need to get their logic straight.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario

Babs also said that on the second game the team doesn't have the regular morning skate and it throws off Freddie's routine.
I understand it when the schedule was tight and lots of games but we can not allow pts to slip away like this.
Andy at 60% will still give us a better chance than what we have had at whatever backup is play at 100% and still costing us pts.
The player's need to have confidence that the goalie will make the save! And for two years you can see the player play different for the backups. Wont change until you get a proven vet as a backup.

Reactions: Petrus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad