Waived: Hutchinson || Update: Cleared and assigned to the Marlies

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We have gone from McB, Sparks, Hutch, KK. If Sparks > Hutch (as some think), our backup is trending in the wrong direction. Now we are asking KK to hold the fort until Dubas can find a backup that fits under our cap and is better than McB. Is Dubas up to the challenge?? Doubt it.
It's amazing and troubling all at the same time how all of this played out.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Im from Sweden with dyslexia so English is not my first language. My phone dont give a f about English.

Stand in goal the Swedish phone English whistling bacon from your car ice surface went over from second language and temporary.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It's amazing and troubling all at the same time how all of this played out.
To me it was a mistake but in hindsight we are all geniuses. I can understand where Dubie was coming from. He ran the Marlies and his Marlies MVP needed a shot in same year he moved to top post. It was a rookie move but many of us would have done the same thing. To me the bigger screw up was going with Hutch. That made ZERO sense to me. Why take a guy who flopped in Winnipeg? and flopped on the Marlies? A guy who has a long standing reputation for solid positional form but really bad mental SOFTIES every game at the worst times ie. totally non CLUTCH. The only thing I get is he is a local kid and a great guy. Now we are moving to Kask who I think should have got his shot to start season. But it is another massive risk here. He might flop too. and it looks like we are going to put him under the microscope on Saturday night in Pittsburgh on 2nd leg of B2B. To me the whole thing between Dubie and Babs has been extremely badly managed. I hope it works out but this is the wrong way to start a kid off. Why not start him against Isles tonight and give Freddy a week off and let Freddy have the 2 big games against Boston and Pittsburgh. Both those teams have way more skill.

Reactions: ACC1224

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
McGuire called the backup situation and being up against the cap as self inflicted wounds. Epic fails by the boy wonder.
I don't think he is the boy wonder. Clearly the shine is starting to come off. But honestly he is a low pay guy (relative to Leafs) negotiating with guys around him who are all multi millionaires. Larry, Shanny, Babs, Mitch, Willy and Matty. and a team which prints money. Don't you think this is a difficult spot to be placed into?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
McGuire called the backup situation and being up against the cap as self inflicted wounds. Epic fails by the boy wonder.
That seems obvious. No one put them into this position but themselves.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't think he is the boy wonder. Clearly the shine is starting to come off. But honestly he is a low pay guy (relative to Leafs) negotiating with guys around him who are all multi millionaires. Larry, Shanny, Babs, Mitch, Willy and Matty. and a team which prints money. Don't you think this is a difficult spot to be placed into?

Yes very difficult spot. It is why I did not want the Leafs GM position to be a training ground. I blame Shanny. Too bad he signed a long extension.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That seems obvious. No one put them into this position but themselves.

What irks me is the Marner deal which basically painted Dubas into a corner. We could have claimed DeSmith, Comrie or Forsberg on waivers but there was no room to make the move. Now they expect Kaskisuo to step up. I do not see it with the way this team is allergic to playing D.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
What irks me is the Marner deal which basically painted Dubas into a corner. We could have claimed DeSmith, Comrie or Forsberg on waivers but there was no room to make the move. Now they expect Kaskisuo to step up. I do not see it with the way this team is allergic to playing D.
No, the reason they couldn't claim anyone is that they had a full 23 player roster at the time those goalies went on waivers. Plus there is little evidence they would have been significantly better.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
There are many things which led to this, the Marner deal is just part of that.
This mess began with the Kessel retention and the available money has been chipped away at ever since.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No, the reason they couldn't claim anyone is that they had a full 23 player roster at the time those goalies went on waivers. Plus there is little evidence they would have been significantly better.

You could have sent Hutch down. If it was not the cap then it was that they could not add another contract. All Dubas painting himself into a corner.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
There are many things which led to this, the Marner deal is just part of that.
This mess began with the Kessel retention and the available money has been chipped away at ever since.

I respect Dubas for making a hell of an opening offer to Marner late June but he should have dug in when he refused it. Either way he was going to overpay because he is a fool.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You could have sent Hutch down. If it was not the cap then it was that they could not add another contract. All Dubas painting himself into a corner.
No they would have had to have him on waivers before noon that day - without knowing who was going to be going on waivers for other teams.

You can't just send a guy down on a moments notice. If the Leafs want to send someone down today, they have to put them on waivers before noon, and the names of those only get released after noon.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No they would have had to have him on waivers before noon that day - without knowing who was going to be going on waivers for other teams.

You can't just send a guy down on a moments notice. If the Leafs want to send someone down today, they have to put them on waivers before noon, and the names of those only get released after noon.

Sure some planning would have been involved but it is not like it would have been rocket science. They could have put Marincin on waivers. It was no secret that DeSmith/Jarry, Forsberg and Comrie were going to be waived at the time.

My guess is that the organisation decided that it was Hutch's job. Too bad they did not realise that they needed depth in goal. You have to have 3 quality goalies to succeed, The Leafs have 1 until proven otherwise.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Why not start him against Isles tonight and give Freddy a week off and let Freddy have the 2 big games against Boston and Pittsburgh. Both those teams have way more skill.
Islanders are the 2nd best team in the league right now, are on an 11-0-1 run, and are stylistically a more difficult match-up for the Leafs.

Not sure why we would make our starting goaltender sit a week and go cold after just rounding into form, and then throw him into back to back games. Pittsburgh is the easiest match-up for Kask to get, especially with Crosby injured.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
We have gone from McB, Sparks, Hutch, KK. If Sparks > Hutch (as some think), our backup is trending in the wrong direction. Now we are asking KK to hold the fort until Dubas can find a backup that fits under our cap and is better than McB. Is Dubas up to the challenge?? Doubt it.

Probably depends if we are talking the McB people remember for one year or the one that's 56th in GAA and 36th in SV %? He at least has a shot at the current one.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Part of the GM's job is to have a sense of what's going on around the league. A few phone calls is all it would have took.
They were going with Hutchinson

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Probably depends if we are talking the McB people remember for one year or the one that's 56th in GAA and 36th in SV %? He at least has a shot at the current one.

Talking about the McB we let go up until the McB that signed as a UFA by TB. The one you are referring to is backing up Vasi while the last I heard Sparks and Hutch are in the AHL.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Part of the GM's job is to have a sense of what's going on around the league. A few phone calls is all it would have took.
They were going with Hutchinson
Because none of those names really move the bar.

We are discussing which #3G could possibly be better than the Leafs #2G. Doesn't scream imminent improvement to me.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

We are discussing which #3G could possibly be better than the Leafs #2G. Doesn't scream imminent improvement to me.

With Marner out, Dubas should have more cap space for a bigger fish. I want to see how this plays out because I do not believe Kaskisuo is the answer.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Yet here we are, living on a prayer.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
With Marner out, Dubas should have more cap space for a bigger fish. I want to see how this plays out because I do not believe Kaskisuo is the answer.
Hard to know for sure but you are probably right. TBH when Kask first arrived on Marlies scene I thought he would be gone in a month. But bottom line he has survived. He will get his shot next 5 B2B games before XMAS. If he can get 5 points he is probably staying rest of season. If he bombs like Hutch then the search begins.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
He's not. Moves will have to be made. It's going to cost at least one of AJ or KK. But wing depth is something that the Leafs can afford.

If I'm Dubas, one team that doesn't get mentioned as having a wealth of goalie depth is the Canucks, who have Markstrom and Thatcher Demko on the big club, with Michael DiPietro lighting up the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad