Waived: Hutch Waived

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Dubas gave him more than enough of a chance. He’s a Ahl’er from here on in it seems. A good Ahl’er likely. Just couldn’t keep his composure when the heat turned on in general. Good luck Hutch.

Marlies could use some decent goaltending if he can recover his AHL form from a couple years ago.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Leafs gave up their 2020 5th round pick to acquire Hutchinson from Florida, and I would be surprised if any team claimed Hutchinson for free today.

Its almost like Florida knowingly gave Leafs a boat anchor to help drag them down in this years head to head playoff race.

Head to Head Hutchinson gave up 4 goals in an 8-4 Florida win, and gave up 4 goals including 3 in the 3rd for a 3rd period collapse in a 5-3 Panthers win.. Hutchinson delivering on return of 4 points for his former team against them in this years playoff race.

If the final results are Florida is IN and Leafs are OUT then that would have been a successful sabotage and they will have our draft pick as salt in the wound as a double whammy.

Lets hope :crossfing it doesn't come to this and despite the boat anchor, Leafs prevail and beat out the Panthers for that #3 playoff spot in the Atlantic.
If Florida was that good at evaluating goalies, they wouldn't have given Bob that contract. Hutchinson was never a good goalie, but his play this year is a new level of low

Reactions: stopclickbait

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Leafs gave up their 2020 5th round pick to acquire Hutchinson from Florida, and I would be surprised if any team claimed Hutchinson for free today.

Its almost like Florida knowingly gave Leafs a boat anchor to help drag them down in this years head to head playoff race.

Head to Head Hutchinson gave up 4 goals in an 8-4 Florida win, and gave up 4 goals including 3 in the 3rd for a 3rd period collapse in a 5-3 Panthers win.. Hutchinson delivering on return of 4 points for his former team against them in this years playoff race.

If the final results are Florida is IN and Leafs are OUT then that would have been a successful sabotage and they will have our draft pick as salt in the wound as a double whammy.

Lets hope :crossfing it doesn't come to this and despite the boat anchor, Leafs prevail and beat out the Panthers for that #3 playoff spot in the Atlantic.
Lol that's some next level tin foil hat shit!

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Does this mean Woll will be sent to the Growlers to keep getting starts?

I doubt it. The AHL is a development league and Hutch has hit his ceiling. At best, he will be there be a veteran presence as a third string goalie getting the odd start. I don't see why you would take out Woll or Kaskisuo for someone who has been kicking around for along time.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
He had a few good games, but a few isn't good enough. Close to 4 GAA and .880-ish save percentage in 14-15 games? Yeah, he was given enough chances.

Good professional, likable, but not reliable to get the job done.

Edited for spelling typo

Last edited:

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Seems like a good dude, just not an NHL goalie.

Fare the well Hutch

Was going to say something similar.

His debut for Winnipeg had me thinking he was going to be a very good goalie in the NHL.

Wish him all the best wherever he lands,

Reactions: Ciao

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Marlies could use some decent goaltending if he can recover his AHL form from a couple years ago.

No, they really can't. Kaskisuo is better than Hutch, and he's not playing over a prospect in Woll.

Hutch has no place left in this organization, so I say trade him for depth in a different area.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
No, they really can't. Kaskisuo is better than Hutch, and he's not playing over a prospect in Woll.

Hutch has no place left in this organization, so I say trade him for depth in a different area.

I know we're all frustrated with Hutch but there's really nothing that suggests Kaskisuo is better and there's nothing wrong with Woll being a starter with the Growlers.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I am truly disappointed that it didn't work out. It would have been a nice heart warming story -- nice guy from Barrie comes home and fits in as the backup goaltender for the Toronto Maple Leafs -- but it just wasn't meant to be.

I never had the sense he couldn't do this, but just that he didn't do it. Either way it doesn't matter because the Leafs needed to stabilize that position. He didn't do that so they had to find someone else.

He's young enough that he could still carve out an NHL career -- unlikely as that is. By contrast, as time went by watching Garret Sparks I came to conclusion he just doesn't have the reflexes and natural ability to do this. With Michael Hutchinson I've never that way, but only that for one reason or another he just didn't do it even if he were capable of doing the job. The best I can hope for him is that he will get another chance somewhere else.

Otherwise, this is his fifth season on one-way NHL contracts that have paid him more than $5 million over the course of his career, and that's nothing to sneeze at. Should we all be so blessed.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

This is hilarious.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
If Hutch wants to continue to play after this season, he will probably be bound for Europe.

I actually think he sticks around in the AHL for a while. There's always team that ends up relying on their 3rd or 4th string goalie for a stretch, every season. So teams like to keep these borderline NHL guys in their system in case of extreme emergency.

That's why guys like Hammond and Forsberg sign every year for the minimum. Just looked it up, and there's a bunch more in the same boat like Legace, Wedgewood, Berube, Bibeau, Pickard, Stolarz. They could be pressed into a stretch of NHL games and not sink the year, so organizations stash them away.

Remember when Budaj held the Kings it in for like 50 games even though he was out of the league for like 2 years before that? Every team wants a potential Budaj as their #4.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando

lol

Lay off that good weed, Mess. That is some serious paranoid conspiracy theorising right there.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
lol

Lay off that good weed, Mess. That is some serious paranoid conspiracy theorising right there.

I'd leave him alone. At this point I'm pretty sure he's actually lost it. All he does now is present delusional, nutty takes on our impending doom, and he's full of glee while doing it. He's gone mad, and he's a few posts away from full Mark Hamill's Joker, without the wit.

Last edited:
Reactions: stopclickbait

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Is ice considered walking on water?
Technically yes. Just a different form of it.

Anyway I feel bad for the guy I wanted him to do well but he just doesn't have the chops. His five hole is pretty weak.

I could see him ending up in Europe and there's no shame in that.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Hutch can take solace in the fact he is better than Glenn Healy, who is a legend in his own mind.....

..... and McBackup waves hello to everyone, with a 1 finger salute to Dubas....... but Campbell is a better long term solution for us as a backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad