OT: Hurricanes sign Alex Semin, 5 years @ $7 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsNow*

I still think Datsyuk was somehow involved with Holland not approaching Semin.

The opportunity to sign a talented Russian winger to play on one of our legendary Russian centers, and we don't even take a look? There is something up with that.

The Red Wings have steered clear of Russians for awhile now

RedWingsNow*

Just because you don't remember many of the numerous times Datsyuk has mentioned it does not make it a myth. Just clarifying, as I've seen you use that line of logic several times before. A quick google search should be able to find one of the Khan articles. While said presumably in Jest, it is not secret he still has trouble with english and was a big proponent of bringing Salei in.

The only myth in this thread is the myth that Semin is lazy and bad defensively. Oh, and apparently he's an ******* according to people who have never met him.

Jaster is one of those guys who thinks Semin is lazy and a cancer... there's that.

RedWingsNow*

What recurring line of logic was that? It's a simple fact that Datsyuk never begged for a Russian in the media. Ever. It's a myth. People have seen comments from Datsyuk about how neat it would be to play with a Russian, which even you admit are likely in jest, and instantly jump to the conclusion that he desperately wants to play with a Russian and that he's angry at Holland for not getting him one. And then people prop up Semin. And no, I don't know Semin. But I am aware of inside info from the Joe, and it blows these half-cocked theories wrapped in irrational Semin lovefests out of the water. The team didn't want him. End of story.

And Semin doesn't have to be lazy 100% of the time to be a lazy player. He goes long stretches where he's playing to his abilities. But I watched a ton of Caps games over the years. The dude had stretches where he made Franzen look like he had the work ethic of Hank and Dats. Now maybe Semin has transformed this year, I don't know, I haven't seen him on the Canes (and I suspect he has, based on this contract, compared to offers he got in the past). But this insistence that Semin is never lazy is just plain wrong. When people say that, it's clear they haven't watched the guy enough.

Haha.
You know, people READILY admit that having world class Swedes on this club makes it easier to attract other Swedes.

In other words, having Swedes here makes it a little more attractive for fellow Swedes.

So having another Russian or three might make it a more attractive place for Datsyuk to stay after next year.

And honestly--- I question the sanity of anyone who thinks that Datsyuk might be more inclined to stick around if by having Semin over Abdelkader his right wing.

But we got Brunner! He's better than Semin (said the early season threads)

HTT3*

There's a reason nobody wanted Semin other than a bottom dweller team. I wonder if Datsyuk had an opinion about Semin and told Holland to avoid him. It makes sense.

I have a feeling his $7 million dollar contract is going to look very, very bad next year and the rest of his career.

RedWingsNow*

Not going to say he's better than Hossa. But given the age difference and time remaining on their deals, I'd rather have Semin.

And it doesn't hurt that Semin is also a righthanded shot

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Jaster is one of those guys who thinks Semin is lazy and a cancer... there's that.

As if I don't have good reasons. I only think he's lazy because I've seen him be horribly lazy many times. And I only think he's a cancer because players on the Wings (I don't know if Datsyuk was one of them, but I'm inclined to believe he was) did not want him based on his personality, nor did the front office. You meanwhile have shown a bias over the years towards Russians for, really, no good reasons. So.... there's that.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Haha.
You know, people READILY admit that having world class Swedes on this club makes it easier to attract other Swedes.

In other words, having Swedes here makes it a little more attractive for fellow Swedes.

So having another Russian or three might make it a more attractive place for Datsyuk to stay after next year.

And honestly--- I question the sanity of anyone who thinks that Datsyuk might be more inclined to stick around if by having Semin over Abdelkader his right wing.

But we got Brunner! He's better than Semin (said the early season threads)

I'm sure Datsyuk would enjoy having a fellow Russian on his line. But I'm also sure it has to be a Russian he likes/wants to work with. Just because a guy is Russian doesn't mean Datsyuk automatically wants him. That's insulting to Datsyuk.

RedWingsNow*

I'm sure Datsyuk would enjoy having a fellow Russian on his line. But I'm also sure it has to be a Russian he likes/wants to work with. Just because a guy is Russian doesn't mean Datsyuk automatically wants him. That's insulting to Datsyuk.

Right. Nobody said anything about Yuri Butsayev. We're talking about one of the top 5 Russian players in the world

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Right. Nobody said anything about Yuri Butsayev. We're talking about one of the top 5 Russian players in the world

That's fine. But how much talent a guy has is not the only factor. Not everyone is a perfect fit in the locker room, especially in Detroit where they have a pretty defined culture with a high level of professionalism and minimized drama.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
Just cuz he signed a deal there, it don't mean he'll be theirs forever. Trades DO happen, even if they're rare.

Edit: also, he's no cancer and not lazy.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
"Cancer" gets bandied about in various ways. How bad does a guy have to be in the room to be a "cancer?" Getting the coach fired? Ruffling feathers on a daily basis? Not being wanted by another team? Was Avery a cancer? Does Semin have any unappealing characteristics to those of you who say he's not a cancer? Was it all smoke and no fire for all those years in Washington?

Also, the dude is historically lazy. At least in the sense that he didn't play to his full abilities a lot of the time. Much like Fedorov, but worse.

RedWingsNow*

That's fine. But how much talent a guy has is not the only factor. Not everyone is a perfect fit in the locker room, especially in Detroit where they have a pretty defined culture with a high level of professionalism and minimized drama.

He's a good fit in Carolina.
I'm not going to cry about Semin not being in Detroit, even if he would have helped us. Because honestly, I didn't think he was worth $7M after the season he had last year.

And I'm not completely sold on his current contract, either. But I understand that the days of discounts are done unless you're doing a reclamation project.

I'm just glad to see that Semin proved wrong all the people who were completely unfair and ridiculous in their criticism of him.

People bought into BS and repeated it like it was Gospel.
And now they have egg on their face.

Justice.

Aug 6, 2012
"Cancer" gets bandied about in various ways. How bad does a guy have to be in the room to be a "cancer?" Getting the coach fired? Ruffling feathers on a daily basis? Not being wanted by another team? Was Avery a cancer? Does Semin have any unappealing characteristics to those of you who say he's not a cancer? Was it all smoke and no fire for all those years in Washington?

Also, the dude is historically lazy. At least in the sense that he didn't play to his full abilities a lot of the time. Much like Fedorov, but worse.

Your basing your opinion off pure media speculation. Semin is a quiet guy and, even if he was "cancerous", Detroit has the leadership where it wouldn't effect the rest of the team. He is a perfect player to put alongside Datsyuk, and he just happens to be Russian.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm not going to cry about Semin not being in Detroit, even if he would have helped us. Because honestly, I didn't think he was worth $7M after the season he had last year.

And I'm not completely sold on his current contract, either. But I understand that the days of discounts are done unless you're doing a reclamation project.

I'm just glad to see that Semin proved wrong all the people who were completely unfair and ridiculous in their criticism of him.

Justice.

Seemed like the majority of the league since no one approached him besides Carolina (or if they did it was probably for less than what he got). I remember in Washington people touted Semin as having the most pure skill in the league, even more than Ovechkin when he was scoring 60 goals. I'm not surprised Semin is having a great 1st season. Let's see what happens over the next few years to see whether or not his alleged reputation comes back.

RedWingsNow*

Semin was an elite scorer in Washington and solid two-way player for the Caps.
It wasn't until Boudreau tried to turn them into grind-it-out Bruins 2.0 team that Semin began to struggle.

But you're a guy who thinks Fedorov was lazy, so there's not much more for me to discuss with you here.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

Justice.

LOL. Based on that rhetoric, it's obvious that people weren't saying what you think they were saying.

And again, something must have changed with Semin, to get this contract (maybe he's shaped up, maybe he has given 100%, 100% of the time for the Canes). Or else Carolina just has lower standards than Washington, Detroit, and just about every other team. And maybe they do.

To be clear, Semin has proved no one wrong.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Your basing your opinion off pure media speculation. Semin is a quiet guy and, even if he was "cancerous", Detroit has the leadership where it wouldn't effect the rest of the team. He is a perfect player to put alongside Datsyuk, and he just happens to be Russian.

No, I am not basing my opinion off of media speculation. And you don't know how Semin would have affected Detroit. You have no idea. And the thought that he would have been "perfect" for Datsyuk is nothing more than wishful thinking.

RedWingsNow*

Seemed like the majority of the league since no one approached him besides Carolina (or if they did it was probably for less than what he got). I remember in Washington people touted Semin as having the most pure skill in the league, even more than Ovechkin when he was scoring 60 goals. I'm not surprised Semin is having a great 1st season. Let's see what happens over the next few years to see whether or not his alleged reputation comes back.

Not surprisingly, you're supporting the company-side argument here, Which I don't understand, because you're critical of Holland.

People say all kinds of things about a guy's skill.

People said Fedorov should be a 120-point guy every year and thought he was lazy because he never returned to that.

They never considered that Fedorov's role on the team changed, and the team's style changed, and the NHL changed.

The idea that Semin was better more skilled than Ovechkin, but just lazy? That's ridiculous.

Semin's career record speaks for itself. He's one of the best rightwingers in the game. Period.

It's amazing that all these Wings fans don't apply their logic about Fedorov and Semin to Zetterberg.

RedWingsNow*

No, I am not basing my opinion off of media speculation. And you don't know how Semin would have affected Detroit. You have no idea. And the thought that he would have been "perfect" for Datsyuk is nothing more than wishful thinking.

All speculation is wishful thinking by the definition you just laid out, Jaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad