OT: Hurricanes sign Alex Semin, 5 years @ $7 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsNow*

LOL. Based on that rhetoric, it's obvious that people weren't saying what you think they were saying.

And again, something must have changed with Semin, to get this contract (maybe he's shaped up, maybe he has given 100%, 100% of the time for the Canes). Or else Carolina just has lower standards than Washington, Detroit, and just about every other team. And maybe they do.

To be clear, Semin has proved no one wrong.

Well, Jaster, don't be so hard on yourself. I consider you to be more than no one:)

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007
Semin was an elite scorer in Washington and solid two-way player for the Caps.
It wasn't until Boudreau tried to turn them into grind-it-out Bruins 2.0 team that Semin began to struggle.

There were issues with Semin well before Boudreau. Are you that forgetful?

But you're a guy who thinks Fedorov was lazy, so there's not much more for me to discuss with you here.

I'm a huge Fedorov fan. But there were times when Fedorov's effort did not match his abilities. He could have been better than he was at certain times. He wasn't a floater, per se, but he certainly gave less than 100% at times. To his credit, he almost always played balls out when it mattered. The truth doesn't hurt that bad, does it?

RedWingsNow*

Then it isn't speculation when you have material to base an opinion off of.

Datsyuk plays well with puck possession players. He's had a good history with right-handed snipers.
Semin fits both those criteria.
The Russian thing is an added bonus.

That's material to base an opinion off of.

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007
Well, Jaster, don't be so hard on yourself. I consider you to be more than no one:)

Did Semin go back in time and change history or something? Does he suddenly have no history of being lazy or of not getting good contract offers?

I've always said the guy has tremendous talent. No point total he could put up would surprise me (well, no realistic total). Him going point-per-game, or getting a big contract, has nothing to do with anything I've said about him in the past.

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007
Datsyuk plays well with puck possession players. He's had a good history with right-handed snipers.
Semin fits both those criteria.
The Russian thing is an added bonus.

That's material to base an opinion off of.

Sure is. But not enough to say Semin would be "perfect" for Datsyuk.

RedWingsNow*

There were issues with Semin well before Boudreau. Are you that forgetful?

I'm a huge Fedorov fan. But there were times when Fedorov's effort did not match his abilities. He could have been better than he was at certain times. He wasn't a floater, per se, but he certainly gave less than 100% at times. To his credit, he almost always played balls out when it mattered. The truth doesn't hurt that bad, does it?

Last night, Datsyuk's effort did not match his ability.

Zetterberg's effort hasn't matched his ability in a couple weeks now.

Regular seasons are long, with ebbs and flows in production.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Not surprisingly, you're supporting the company-side argument here, Which I don't understand, because you're critical of Holland.

People say all kinds of things about a guy's skill.

People said Fedorov should be a 120-point guy every year and thought he was lazy because he never returned to that.

They never considered that Fedorov's role on the team changed, and the team's style changed, and the NHL changed.

The idea that Semin was better more skilled than Ovechkin, but just lazy? That's ridiculous.

Semin's career record speaks for itself. He's one of the best rightwingers in the game. Period.

It's amazing that all these Wings fans don't apply their logic about Fedorov and Semin to Zetterberg.

You're putting words in my mouth, I never called him lazy. I think people calling players lazy in general is pretty stupid.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The Red Wings have steered clear of Russians for awhile now

Steered clear?

Other than Semin, who have they made it a point to keep away from?

And I am aware Datsyuk has "mentioned" playing with a fellow Russian. That is a far cry from "begging" the GM to bring in a Russian.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Steered clear?

And I am aware Datsyuk has "mentioned" playing with a fellow Russian. That is a far cry from "begging" the GM to bring in a Russian.

They haven't drafted ones lately. Marchenko with that 7th rounder but past few years no one else.

RedWingsNow*

Steered clear?

Take a look at the Red Wings drafting habits, UFA signings and trades since Fedorov left.

There has been a sharp and noticeable decline in this franchise's interest in Russian players... especially considering the important role the Russian 5 played in bringing Detroit to prominence

CloneHakanPlease*

Totally agree. Better than Hossa?

No.
At this point? Yes. And it's not really close. Semin's defensive game is so underrated its ridiculous. Half of you people probably still think Filppula is better than him defensively.

Last edited by a moderator:

CloneHakanPlease*

There's a reason nobody wanted Semin other than a bottom dweller team. I wonder if Datsyuk had an opinion about Semin and told Holland to avoid him. It makes sense.

I have a feeling his $7 million dollar contract is going to look very, very bad next year and the rest of his career.

You also had a feeling Abdelkader would outplay Tootoo, Semin would flop this year, Lashoof would be better than Kindl, Hudler would fail in Calgary, and that Filppula would be a PPG player. I think it's safe to say your feelings don't mean much, especially about Semin.

Also some fun fact for Semin haters

Higher GPG over his career than Nash, Perry, and Parise
Top 5 plus Minus for forwards over the past 5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Take a look at the Red Wings drafting habits, UFA signings and trades since Fedorov left.

There has been a sharp and noticeable decline in this franchise's interest in Russian players... especially considering the important role the Russian 5 played in bringing Detroit to prominence

I see that as more correlation=causation than anything concrete, personally. To each their own.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

KHL and it's economical growth has had big impact for that thing. It's nothing against nationality, more of a draft tactical thing. You hardly get borderline russians to develop in your own system, because KHL and their lucrative contract offers for young players hit on that point of career, when you are losing the players rights. Picks are total waste, if it isn't a surefire star player you can add on the roster 2 years after the draft. And since Wings have not been drafting high, when all those most star power russians are drafted, those borderline options are just skipped totally.

Case Radulov was another example. They hate those ELC's when they know there's good money waiting in their home country.

I think we'll see Red Wings drafting more Russians again, when those rights for European draftees are extended again to 4 years. They can mature to 22 aged in their own league and then make a jump over the pond.

What comes for Alexei Marchenko, they knew his background better than maybe others, that he has a big desire come to America. So they thought the KHL-factor is smallest possible with him to use one 7th rounder.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Steered clear?

We also know how much he misses Russia and how much he talks about having loved playing there over the lockout. Not much of a stretch to think that having a Russian teammate would make him happier.

Not that that's proof that he "begged" for one. Just that it would have been a good idea to get one.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
You also had a feeling Abdelkader would outplay Tootoo, Semin would flop this year, Lashoof would be better than Kindl, Hudler would fail in Calgary, and that Filppula would be a PPG player. I think it's safe to say your feelings don't mean much, especially about Semin.

Also some fun fact for Semin haters

Higher GPG over his career than Nash, Perry, and Parise
Top 5 plus Minus for forwards over the past 5 years.

Get out of here with those facts! Semin is nothing but a lazy heartless Russian!

HTT3*

Pretty sure you are making up lies. As for Abby, didn't he just score a hattrick while Tootoo has been a healthy scratch and sitting in the press box?

Wasn't Filppula injured? Pretty sure he missed some time. Not sure that I said he would be a PPG player, though. Please find the source to this,,, because I'm pretty sure you are making up lies.

Also, you avoided the point I made that no other team showed much interest in Semin (despite all these amazing facts you bring up), only one bottom dwelling team wanted him. Those are the facts and these facts are undisputed. Are you going to change your screen name again next year after all your absurd 'predictions' and 'comments' come back to haunt you again?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Not surprisingly, you're supporting the company-side argument here, Which I don't understand, because you're critical of Holland.

People say all kinds of things about a guy's skill.

People said Fedorov should be a 120-point guy every year and thought he was lazy because he never returned to that.

They never considered that Fedorov's role on the team changed, and the team's style changed, and the NHL changed.

The idea that Semin was better more skilled than Ovechkin, but just lazy? That's ridiculous.

Semin's career record speaks for itself. He's one of the best rightwingers in the game. Period.

It's amazing that all these Wings fans don't apply their logic about Fedorov and Semin to Zetterberg.

This goes more to just these players:

Semin: Lazy
Ovechkin: Washed up
Zetterberg: Great two way player
Jonathon Toews: Great defensive forward
Datsyuk: The only forward with possibly a better defensive game than toews
Kopitar: Legit awesomeness
H. Sedin: One of the best players in the league

Everything is based on expectations.

Semin: 30pts
Ovechkin: 31pts
Zetterberg: 32pts
Toews:32pts
Datsyuk: 35pts
Kopitar: 30pts
Sedin: 29pts

Basically all 7 of these players are stars.
about 1 pt per game is hall of fame level.

Basically all of these players have produced at that "hall of fame" level for the entirety of their carreers.

They are all very good players.

The main thing is... what are they being paid?

Ovechkin 9Mil; 9.5 Cap Hit
Zetterberg 7.75Mil; 6.08 Cap Hit
Datsyuk 6.7Mil; 6.7Mil Cap hit
Semin 7Mil; 7Mil Cap hit
Sedin 6.1Mil; 6.1Mil Cap hit
Kopitar 6.5Mil; 6.8Mil Cap hit
Toews 6Mil; 6.3Mil Cap hit

Generally speaking they all make pretty decent salaries.
They are all doing well this year.

Whoever created the negative smear campaign for Carolina to simply "Add a superstar" without losing anyone from their roster is probably owed about 1 Million dollars from the Carolina ownership!!

"The greatest trick Carolina ever pulled, was convincing the world he wasn't good"... "and like that"... "He's signed"! - Fade to Black!

Last edited:

CloneHakanPlease*

Pretty sure you are making up lies. As for Abby, didn't he just score a hattrick while Tootoo has been a healthy scratch and sitting in the press box?

Wasn't Filppula injured? Pretty sure he missed some time. Not sure that I said he would be a PPG player, though. Please find the source to this,,, because I'm pretty sure you are making up lies.

Also, you avoided the point I made that no other team showed much interest in Semin (despite all these amazing facts you bring up), only one bottom dwelling team wanted him. Those are the facts and these facts are undisputed. Are you going to change your screen name again next year after all your absurd 'predictions' and 'comments' come back to haunt you again?

Funny that that bottom dwelling team isn't so much of a bottom feeder after they added him. Maybe you should check your facts. And other teams did send interest, Washington tried several times to resign him before he hit UFA as well as Montreal.

As for the Tootoo vs Abdelkader argument, before two weeks ago he literally had 1 assist in his last 40 games. One game where he scored two goals by 100% accident and the game of his life does not change that. No one could objectivily point and say Tootoo would not be doing a better job, as he almost has as many points as Abdelkader in a fraction of the time playing with Emmerton opposed to Datsyuk. The Filppula one is a bit of an exaggeration (you said legit first line player) but the rest werent. Either way, I can't recall a single prediction you've been right about. I'm actually really happy Abdelkader scored the hat trick though. Ever since then you started posting again and providing us with grade A comedy.

Anyways back to Semin he is currently playing like a top 15 forward in the league this year. His track record, despite what people say, shows one of the highest goals per game average in the past 6 years, and he is also top 10 in takeaways and near the top of +/-. He is better than any forward the Wings have not named Datsyuk or Zetterberg and if Holland didn't pursue him due purely to the Mike Millbury Indoctrination, then he should be held accountable. We will never know of course, but I find that more likely than Dats not liking a guy he laughed and played with frequently during the Olympics.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
At this point? Yes. And it's not really close. Semin's defensive game is so underrated its ridiculous. Half of you people probably still think Filppula is better than him.

Yikes. Look I thought Semin would be a fine addition, but this type of talk is overboard. Not even close?

Did Hossa turn into an invalid while I wasn't looking? Last I saw he was helping lead the strongest team in the NHL this year.

And I hate pumping Hossa's tires because it turns into a Franzen whine fest.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Everything is based on expectations.

No doubt. But warranted with some of these players.

Ovie signed that contract before the new CBA made cap sheltering impossible. He's getting paid huge bucks. He's a former 65 goal scorer. He was once in the running for best player in the world. There's been a pretty significant drop off from that for no real apparent reason. It's not like he turned 35. He didn't suffer any major injuries. It's not the league. Stamkos is still finding the back of the net at a very high pace, even on a bottom of the barrel team like the Lightning.

Never heard anyone call Z lazy though. Slow? Yes. But we default to "he's injured" because we know he's too hard a worker to be lazy.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
The point was Semin is a star, and always has been.

I merely meant Zetterberg has hot and cold streaks, but lets just pretend I said nothing about it (edited above).. The point is semin has similar points to Z and makes nearly what Z does... As he should

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->