OT: Hurricanes sign Alex Semin, 5 years @ $7 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Seriously? I would take that over Flip on a 5x5 any day. Would also take that contract over both Getzlaf and Perry's. Good signing for the Canes. UFA's this year is officially garbage-apalooza.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
not so attractive? i'd take Semin in a heartbeat for 7 if guys like Corey Perry are getting 8.6

the term isn't even bad

i'm somewhat upset by this but realistically he was never gonna be a Wing anyways

it sucks but it is what it is,the Wings had a shot at him in the offseason and didn't even show an interest

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Definitely better than Perry's deal ainec. Getzlaf's deal is debateable but I'd much rather have Semin at this price then Perry.

I'd rather give him a 3 year deal at 7.5M-8M then the 5 year length though, he's been very hot & cold in his career so the length scares me somewhat.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Offseason's gonna be terrible. We over pay for Howard and Flip then bring back Cleary. Wait, there's more! No buyouts at all!

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Offseason's gonna be terrible. We over pay for Howard and Flip then bring back Cleary. Wait, there's more! No buyouts at all!

Trade deadline; first for Kopecky.

Followed by the mismanagement of Tatar, Nyquist, and Andersson as they spend even more time on the bench/ in the pressbox/ in the AHL (not Andy). Should be a wild and zany time.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I said it then, and I'll say it again now. Not even approaching Semin was absolutely mind boggling. Semin is a great player and would have made an excellent addition to the club.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Semin has talent through the roof. Honestly one of the most skilled guys in the league.

It's too bad Holland had no interest in him last summer, but I guess most the league didn't either.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I still think Datsyuk was somehow involved with Holland not approaching Semin.

The opportunity to sign a talented Russian winger to play on one of our legendary Russian centers, and we don't even take a look? There is something up with that.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I still think Datsyuk was somehow involved with Holland not approaching Semin.

The opportunity to sign a talented Russian winger to play on one of our legendary Russian centers, and we don't even take a look? There is something up with that.

I think Mike Captain Canada Babcock had a lot to do with it. Nobody puts Danny in the corner.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
I said it then, and I'll say it again now. Not even approaching Semin was absolutely mind boggling. Semin is a great player and would have made an excellent addition to the club.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. When Dats leaves after next year, let's all remember how every year he practically begs Holland through the media to get another Russian to play with, and it never happens.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I couldn't agree more with this statement. When Dats leaves after next year, let's all remember how every year he practically begs Holland through the media to get another Russian to play with, and it never happens.

When has Datsyuk done that?

sureWhyNot

Jan 24, 2012
Chicago
Seriously? I would take that over Flip on a 5x5 any day. Would also take that contract over both Getzlaf and Perry's. Good signing for the Canes. UFA's this year is officially garbage-apalooza.

Same here. I would take that contract over flips too.

CloneHakanPlease*

Steal of a deal. Better two way winger than Hossa at this point and a top scorer.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Steal of a deal. Better two way winger than Hossa at this point and a top scorer.

Carolina fans seem to really dig Semin's two-way game. He's also 10th in the league with +18. Did a little digging to see how telling that stat was, and Semin's only been on the ice for 18 team goals against over 30 games despite playing over 20 minutes a night - a better rate than Hank, Datsyuk, and Filppula, among other forwards on our team and better than about 200 other forwards in the league. Not bad.

And I'll never understand why we didn't go after him either...

CloneHakanPlease*

Never. It's a myth.

Just because you don't remember many of the numerous times Datsyuk has mentioned it does not make it a myth. Just clarifying, as I've seen you use that line of logic several times before. A quick google search should be able to find one of the Khan articles. While said presumably in Jest, it is not secret he still has trouble with english and was a big proponent of bringing Salei in.

The only myth in this thread is the myth that Semin is lazy and bad defensively. Oh, and apparently he's an ******* according to people who have never met him.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Just because you don't remember many of the numerous times Datsyuk has mentioned it does not make it a myth. Just clarifying, as I've seen you use that line of logic several times before. A quick google search should be able to find one of the Khan articles. While said presumably in Jest, it is not secret he still has trouble with english and was a big proponent of bringing Salei in.

The only myth in this thread is the myth that Semin is lazy and bad defensively. Oh, and apparently he's an ******* according to people who have never met him.

What recurring line of logic was that? It's a simple fact that Datsyuk never begged for a Russian in the media. Ever. It's a myth. People have seen comments from Datsyuk about how neat it would be to play with a Russian, which even you admit are likely in jest, and instantly jump to the conclusion that he desperately wants to play with a Russian and that he's angry at Holland for not getting him one. And then people prop up Semin. And no, I don't know Semin. But I am aware of inside info from the Joe, and it blows these half-cocked theories wrapped in irrational Semin lovefests out of the water. The team didn't want him. End of story.

And Semin doesn't have to be lazy 100% of the time to be a lazy player. He goes long stretches where he's playing to his abilities. But I watched a ton of Caps games over the years. The dude had stretches where he made Franzen look like he had the work ethic of Hank and Dats. Now maybe Semin has transformed this year, I don't know, I haven't seen him on the Canes (and I suspect he has, based on this contract, compared to offers he got in the past). But this insistence that Semin is never lazy is just plain wrong. When people say that, it's clear they haven't watched the guy enough.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
^ Yea he is great but 7 mil. a year? Ouch. I was gonna say who would you rather have him or Brunner but we could have 2 Brunners at that price! (though not sure that is a good thing)

I guess it doesn't matter now, but I hoped hard last summer we could sign him. May be he shows up years later after he's decrepit just like all our acquisitions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad