Prospect Info: Hurricanes select C Jack Drury #42 OA

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
1: C Seth Jarvis - 197 points (10 FP votes)
2: D Jake Bean - 193 points (4 FP votes)
3: C Ryan Suzuki - 168 points
4: C Jamieson Rees - 160 points
5: C Morgan Geekie - 150 points
6: W Dominik Bokk - 142 points
7: C Jack Drury - 116 points
8: W Noel Gunler - 102 points

Drury is another one I ranked higher than his skill level dictates, as I feel the same way about him. He’s going to play. The team likes him a lot. He’s going to get every opportunity that other prospects may not get. I wouldn’t have him in my top ten based on skill but I think I had him at seven-ish because I think he’s going to make it one way or another. So a bit lower than I would have Geekie, who’s already there in the nhl imo.

4. jack drury is our second best forward prospect in my opinion. i think the narratives about him have largely been driven by his pedigree in both positive and negative ways. he has outperformed every level by a wide margin and it's hard for me to justify a side by side comparison that favors bokk or gunler for example when drury is so far ahead of them in the same league. rees is another guy that i love, but even there he's a kid that has only played like 100 games of major junior. when it comes to the total package of projection, production, and performance it's drury among those names by a good margin for me.

Continued thoughts on Drury from the 2020/21 prospect rankings thread.

Based on his final ranking of 7 and the opinions above from bleedgreen and Vagrant, it appears that there is a fairly large spread in perception of where he slots on this board which continues to make him an interesting prospect to follow.

His usage and point production in the SHL is impressive given it's his first year in the foreign league and playing on the larger rink against men.

Last year we discussed what would be best for his development as a player...another year in college or a jump to the AHL. The SHL may actually be working out to be the perfect spot for him this year.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It’s the perfect place for him. He plays a smart game which works there, and what he lacks he’s surrounded by. Smoothing out the skating and the skills are what he needs, no better place to get that then Sweden. Much rather see him there than either college or the AHL, next year too to be honest. He’s already a grinder, he doesn’t need more of that training in the AHL. Wish Brandon Sutter could’ve had something like this.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
is this type of production expected for someone like Drury or is it very encouraging for his potential here?
It's hard to say what we should expect from him given there's like zero comparables. Not often top 50 draft pick goes straight from the Ivy League to an overseas league. Either way his play is definitely encouraging until he doesn't sign with us.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
is this type of production expected for someone like Drury or is it very encouraging for his potential here?
I think it is encouraging from the standpoint that he is getting google minutes, beating veterans in the FO circle at a good/great pace, and is handling larger ice while taking very few penalties. Vaxjo isn’t a bottom team either.

i think it means his potential is more than a smart hockey player with pedigree, the vibe of most scouting reviews.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I think it is encouraging from the standpoint that he is getting google minutes, beating veterans in the FO circle at a good/great pace, and is handling larger ice while taking very few penalties. Vaxjo isn’t a bottom team either.

i think it means his potential is more than a smart hockey player with pedigree, the vibe of most scouting reviews.
How do google minutes compare to imperial? :sarcasm:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He hasn’t made a single play on these goals that stands out as anything more than being smart and in the right place at the right time. Which is his calling card. I wouldn’t rate the production as more than that. His skating has always been rough and he’s not the most skilled guy. He’s smart, he hustles and he does the dirty work defensively. I think what we would hope for most for him being in Sweden is being around euro’s every day in practice, their coaches, developing chemistry with highly skilled players and working on things THEY work on. Which are things that he lacks a bit of. That’s what will help his offensive game here. Hard to rate his points over there. I saw one goal where the goalie went behind the net and turned it over right onto his stick, and Drury scored into the empty net. I’m not counting plays like this. The others have been just smart play around the net.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Seems to be what's said of him at every level. I won't mind if that's the case up to and including the NHL.
He can be a solid nhl player for sure. We always look for signs of growth that changes or raises expectations for our prospects, no different here. His NCAA stats don’t really imply much and it’s really hard to rate his production here. I’ll be content if he’s an every day 3/4 line center who’s contributing. I don’t we took him as an offensive player, anything we get in that direction is a bonus.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
He can be a solid nhl player for sure. We always look for signs of growth that changes or raises expectations for our prospects, no different here. His NCAA stats don’t really imply much and it’s really hard to rate his production here. I’ll be content if he’s an every day 3/4 line center who’s contributing. I don’t we took him as an offensive player, anything we get in that direction is a bonus.
Sure, I don't disagree that's his likely wheelhouse. I think he has an outside shot at developing into a smart two-way 2C, but that's at his very tippy top end. More than likely, he can be a perfect 3C type. I think he has some skill and a lot of smarts and I'm very excited for him. I've said before that I like him a bit more than most, though not to an insane level.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Sure, I don't disagree that's his likely wheelhouse. I think he has an outside shot at developing into a smart two-way 2C, but that's at his very tippy top end. More than likely, he can be a perfect 3C type. I think he has some skill and a lot of smarts and I'm very excited for him. I've said before that I like him a bit more than most, though not to an insane level.
Yeah, I’d be very impressed if he made it to threatening 2C but I’d hardly complain.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
No, it's what the partisans did to Mussolini.
cut-2.png
olonel Valerio

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Just wanted to give some thoughts on Hurricanes prospect Jack Drury. I am a big fan of Växjö Lakers and SHL in general and I just want to give my thoughts on him as a player.

Jack is really, really good. This is his first season playing against men and he is one of the better players in the league. He did not start out very well but it is understandable that he needed time to adapt. Now more than 50% of the season has went by and Jack is one of the better forwards in the SHL and he plays in all situations and is very smart and responsible while making decisions on the ice. He also have the best corsi on his team and one of the best in the entire SHL.

I have to say that Växjö has not had a forward with this much skill at such a young age since Elias Pettersson played here a few years ago and that says a lot. Drury is going to be really, really good and you should be happy that he is drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Drury.

Any comparable players come to mind?

What is the weakest aspect of his game?

Do you think he will benefit from another season in the SHL?

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’ll be worried about Drury ever putting on a Canes sweater if he spends another year in the SHL. I’d hope by next year he’s ready to challenge for a bottom 6 spot or ready for just 1 more year of seasoning in his backyard of Chicago.

Ideally, Drury signs with the Canes in the spring after the SHL season is over, and he’s groomed to eventually take over the Jordan Staal role.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Here's Wheeler's evaluation of Drury. There's more in the Athletic article with video clips.

5. Jack Drury, C, 21 (Växjö Lakers HC)
Drury doesn’t have some of the dynamic qualities many of the other Canes prospects ranked here do but with each passing season he feels like more of a sure thing than many of them do. He was the fourth-most productive player in college hockey last season (1.39 points per game) and its second-most productive goal scorer (0.71 goals per game, trailing only Sharks forward John Leonard). This year, when Harvard cancelled its season due to the pandemic, Drury turned pro and signed in the SHL, where he has been the league’s second-most productive under-21 forward (0.71 points per game, trailing only Red Wings prospect Jonatan Berggren) and most productive rookie, playing 18 minutes per game (which also leads all forward rookies) on the best team in the league. Drury has always been knowns as a driven, 200-foot centre who involves himself in the play, plays within his team’s structure without cheating, works to get the puck back, and excels at moulding his game to play alongside talented wingers. But his offensive skill has also developed along a steep trajectory, with above-average tools across the board as a finisher, handler, and passer who create offence in a variety of ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad