Prospect Info: Hurricanes select C Jack Drury #42 OA

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Drury is scoring at Harvard. However, his scoring is almost non-existent in international play (except for the Hlinka on a team that had anemic scoring). In 12 WJC-20 games he has 1 goal and 1 assist. Compare that to Wallmark who played 14 games and had 14 points.

The WJC isn't everything, but looking over the leaders list is likely to give you a great idea of who will be productive in the NHL in 5 years. That alone is why I was surprised to see Wheeler have Drury above Bokk.

It's possible that Drury's trajectory is similar to Oscar Sundqvist and he becomes a solid 3C type. But Sundqvist is an exception while Rourke Chartier is more the norm.

Drury's numbers in the 12 WJC games are deceiving as he was the 13th forward for the 7 games last year. This year he had 2 points in 5 games in a more prominent role.

That being said, it's absolutely true that he's been on the USA roster for 12 games and hasn't produced much offense...but it's also true that he made the USA team twice.

Making the WJC, his numbers at WJC are data points...just like performance at Harvard and his combine performance. Account for WJC info, but don't over or under weight it.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well thinking a guy who’s the 13th forward on the USA team is ready for pros based off of stats he’s putting up against weak competition is part of this conversation. And part of the “he’s got nothing left to prove at the NCAA” conversation as well. People who are so good they have nothing left to prove at that level tend to be higher end players at the WJC.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Harvard played Yale last night...pretty fun game to watch. Much better play than that 7-0 beat-down at MSG.

Drury had one goal...a snap shot from outside the dots...nice snipe. He also saved two goals in net-front scrambles and had some good feeds that just didn't get converted.

Reactions: zman77

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Well thinking a guy who’s the 13th forward on the USA team is ready for pros based off of stats he’s putting up against weak competition is part of this conversation. And part of the “he’s got nothing left to prove at the NCAA” conversation as well. People who are so good they have nothing left to prove at that level tend to be higher end players at the WJC.

We're conflating two perspectives...he's got nothing left to prove in college vs his forecast for the pros is poor because he produced 0 points at WJC as an 18 year old.

I was only responding to the latter point.

Should he stay another year in college or go pro...which is better for his development? I think a reasonable case could be made for both options. I lean towards him staying in school for development...you've made a good case for that.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
@bleedgreen, I don't think most that are considering signing Drury are using the nothing left to prove logic. I think it's more that he's proven a lot, so let's strike now before he can even get anywhere close to thinking about free agency. That may be too cautious on our part, we and you may prefer that he stay in college if there were no other factors, but I think we know it's worth considering with so many other versions of guys going UFA when blowing up even more than expected for years now across the NHL. Whether college UFA or NHL players reaching July 1, they always say the closer you let them get, the more tempted they might get to at least take a sniff.

Don't let the guy from the Northeast and whose famous uncle played and now works for the Rags anywhere close to free agency.

Oh and from that end I agree you can't wait too long, but theres definitely been some voices that think he should be signed because the's done enough down there.

If things weren't the way they are now I'd say he's a perfect candidate to follow the family development path and stay all four years. Drury at 22 is what we want. Given the current climate yes I'd be pulling to sign him after his junior year for sure. After his Sophomore is pushing it, he needs more baking.

Here's what I'll say having really not watched him except at WJC - Drury's pattern has been "one year as a solid 3rd line center finding his way in a league, then one year as a dominant two-way forward" in each league he's played in. AHL might be the next step for him to do that in. Maybe even NHL. Not saying he has "nothing left to prove", but I don't mind giving him that shot now.

As far as "needing more baking", he's 4th in the NCAA in PPG as a sophomore, for a guy who's theoretically not even supposed to be the high-end offensive point producer. Again, not a finished product, but I don't feel like that's the kind of guy where you question trying to sign him as soon as possible to minimize chances of free agency.

Points have very little to do with his growth. I can’t say it enough, not only is the ncaa in general deceptive but the Ivy League schools he plays a lot against are padding the numbers. Some may view that as a reason to leave but I disagree in this particular case. This a guy who needs to work on the aspects of finesse, puck carrying in space, learning how to be an all around offensive stud when it doesn’t come natural. Then let it sit in for a couple years so when you get to the pros some of that offense can’t be easily knocked out of him. He doesn’t need AHL development, he already thinks the game defensively. He won’t learn offense there, not nearly as well as at school. The offense doesn’t come natural to him, the stats are leading you wrong if you think that of him. His Dad was a two point a game guy in the same league, at the same exact stature and style. Comments about how college then was different is just wishful thinking. It’s improved relative to how all hockey has improved. He’s better than his dad the way the whole generation is.

This is a player that if you leave in there longer he’s way more likely to step right in and not need the AHL hardly at all.

Some more good discussion of Drury. Wanted to capture it here as opposed to the carpet gdt.

Last edited:
Reactions: zman77

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Harvard hockey season done, wonder if he goes pro.

Edit-not so fast:

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I wonder if this is a Corona Virus decision. With college play likely suspended until the virus gets under control

Edit: Definitely didn’t see Gocanes practically same post
Certainly is the case with the Ivy League schools since the league has stated that Football is being moved to the spring. Harvard usually starts up their hockey play in October about a month after football starts.

Random thought but what does this do for his reserve list status. Would it be now set to expire after this coming season on June 1st instead of 2 years from now in August? Also would he be a UFA or would he have to re-enter the draft if this were the case?

Reactions: emptyNedder

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Certainly is the case with the Ivy League schools since the league has stated that Football is being moved to the spring. Harvard usually starts up their hockey play in October about a month after football starts.

Random thought but what does this do for his reserve list status. Would it be now set to expire after this coming season on June 1st instead of 2 years from now in August? Also would he be a UFA or would he have to re-enter the draft if this were the case?

I'd say we keep the rights at least to June 1, 2022:

CBA 8.6 (c)(ii) said:
If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college student. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

(the grey is about final year dropouts only)

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yep that was my exact thought on this. The UFA loophole was the other question but this has to be a big boost for us either way.

On June 2nd, 2022, if not signed, he will become a Draft-related UFA. The CBA 8.6 (c) has the further stipulation:

"Furthermore, a Player who is removed from his Club's Reserve List as a result of the operation of the above provisions shall be a draft-related Unrestricted Free Agent effective upon such removal." If he waits out the exclusivity period, he's free to go anywhere.

It's not a loophole though, but a legit agreed-on stipulation of the CBA. The same thing happens to non-college guys who got drafted and then re-drafted but held out for 2+2 years.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
On June 2nd, 2022, if not signed, he will become a Draft-related UFA. The CBA 8.6 (c) has the further stipulation:

"Furthermore, a Player who is removed from his Club's Reserve List as a result of the operation of the above provisions shall be a draft-related Unrestricted Free Agent effective upon such removal." If he waits out the exclusivity period, he's free to go anywhere.

It's not a loophole though, but a legit agreed-on stipulation of the CBA. The same thing happens to non-college guys who got drafted and then re-drafted but held out for 2+2 years.
The loophole I'm referring to is the one that Mike Van Ryn used a ways back where he left college after his 2nd year to play one season of major junior as an overager becoming a UFA following that season. That's the big reason I was wondering if we still held Jack's rights for another 2 years or not following this move.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The loophole I'm referring to is the one that Mike Van Ryn used a ways back where he left college after his 2nd year to play one season of major junior as an overager becoming a UFA following that season. That's the big reason I was wondering if we still held Jack's rights for another 2 years or not following this move.
Ah, ok then. It looks like they've shut down that one in the 2013 CBA, if not already earlier, and the college drop outs will go by the original 4 year college player plan (with the exception that the draft-based exclusivity ends on June 1 of the fourth year instead of August 15, unless you're a last year dropout).

I would say it's hard to find an actual loophole to abuse in the current set of college draftee rules.

Obvuously there maybe will be other issues in signing him to an ELC. Practically he will be similar to an European-drafted guy now: Canes hold his rights for four years, but the European leagues continuing to play deeper into the spring effects onto his potential spring-time signing. The burning-of-the-first-year-of-ELC option to entice him to sign may viably not be there.

Maybe he gets ATOed to the AHL affiliate in the next spring while at the same getting signed on ELC from 21/22 onwards. If he stays in Europe for 21/22, the free agency may start to look too luring for him.

Gotta mention here the usual caveat, that draft-related UFA is different from the actual UFA: a draft-related free agent only gets to choose where he signs, but he's still subject to all the Entry-level system rules, signs an ELC as per them, and becomes an RFA at the end of it, until he's eligible for the actual UFA status by the normal rules (= in practice in the year he's 27 on June 30).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad