Prospect Info: Hurricanes select C Jack Drury #42 OA

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think in time he could be our longer term replacement for Staal's current role as #3C, definitely like what I keep hearing about the kid
It would be great to get him signed. I am a bit worried that he chose to go pro, but didn't sign with his drafting team and instead went and signed a separate contract with an SHL team on his own.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
It would be great to get him signed. I am a bit worried that he chose to go pro, but didn't sign with his drafting team and instead went and signed a separate contract with an SHL team on his own.
Probably getting more money than playing in the AHL, plus at the time there was still a lot of questions about whether or not the AHL would even play this year and he wasn't going to make the NHL roster yet.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

I think the Fox thing has made some of us more concerned about this than we should be. I recognize that it is a valid concern but I personally am not too worried. I don't think we'll have any issues signing him. Maybe I'm just overly optimistic...

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
I think the Fox thing has made some of us more concerned about this than we should be. I recognize that it is a valid concern but I personally am not too worried. I don't think we'll have any issues signing him. Maybe I'm just overly optimistic...
Its not far fetched to envision him holding out and signing with NYR, who employ Chris Drury as AGM. They could certainly use some help at C now and in the future. I doubt he would even play in the AHL if he signed with NYR. If he does end up signing with us, there is not a clear path to go straight to the NHL.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Its not far fetched to envision him holding out and signing with NYR, who employ Chris Drury as AGM. They could certainly use some help at C now and in the future. I doubt he would even play in the AHL if he signed with NYR. If he does end up signing with us, there is not a clear path to go straight to the NHL.
So don't draft anyone who wants to play for, or has association with NYR for the forseeable future? As that would then be 2 players lost same way. I didn't even think about the Drury connection, but that definitely dampers my spirits/expectations a bit. You pretty much KNOW they'd be willing to sign him, they probably wouldn't even need to give us Fox assets just wait for UFA :(

Reactions: Unsustainable

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Is he willing to spend another year across the pond? Because CAR is his only route to the NHL until 8/15/22, barring a trade. I’ll say it again, I’m not really worried about them signing Drury until news comes out that he is staying in the SHL for another year.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Is he willing to spend another year across the pond? Because CAR is his only route to the NHL until 8/15/22, barring a trade. I’ll say it again, I’m not really worried about them signing Drury until news comes out that he is staying in the SHL for another year.
So wait one year playing in the SHL and then sign with the Rangers who have an immediate need at center, or wait two or three years to get your shot at the NHL in Carolina where Aho, Trocheck, Staal and Geekie (Jarvis, Rees, etc.) are already in the system. Yeah, I know what I'd do as a kid who can "talk" any time he wants to with a Rangers front office member.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
So wait one year playing in the SHL and then sign with the Rangers who have an immediate need at center, or wait two or three years to get your shot at the NHL in Carolina where Aho, Trocheck, Staal and Geekie (Jarvis, Rees, etc.) are already in the system. Yeah, I know what I'd do as a kid who can "talk" any time he wants to with a Rangers front office member.

Who’s to say there won’t be openings in CAR?

I haven’t really been impressed with Geekie this year. Staal is getting older. Trocheck is only signed for 1 more year after this one. I imagine that only one of McGinn, Foegele and Martinook are kept. He’ll have the chance to compete for a bottom 6 spot next year for sure with Rees, Jarvis and Lorentz.

Does he really want to play for his uncle? Who knows. I’m not going to worry about it until he gives a sign that there’s something to worry about.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Chris grew up disliking the Whalers and preferring the Rangers. Not sure about Teddy but the family definitely has a strong northeast connection in general. I could easily see Jack preferring the B’s or the rags over anywhere. With everything as disjointed as it is, no better time than now to play that card if he can.

I’d sign him ASAP and be concerned if it was an issue getting him to sign.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Chris grew up disliking the Whalers and preferring the Rangers. Not sure about Teddy but the family definitely has a strong northeast connection in general. I could easily see Jack preferring the B’s or the rags over anywhere. With everything as disjointed as it is, no better time than now to play that card if he can.

I’d sign him ASAP and be concerned if it was an issue getting him to sign.

Welcome to Fairfield County. (Yes, I'm aware bleed knows this as well as anyone.)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Welcome to Fairfield County. (Yes, I'm aware bleed knows this as well as anyone.)
I actually met Chris once and he flat out told me all about it! I already knew Fairfield was slanted that way, put it perspective to have a pro say it straight to my face like it still really mattered to him. Not remotely surprised he ended up working for the Rangers. They are definitely his team.

Side note, Chris was actually a prick. First and only time I got that feeling being around a pro. Not because of the topic, just his whole demeanor. My girlfriend at the time and some of her friends were teachers with his fiancé and had met him, independently coming to the same conclusion. Sometimes to be good you gotta be that way I guess. :dunno:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I actually met Chris once and he flat out told me all about it! I already knew Fairfield was slanted that way, put it perspective to have a pro say it straight to my face like it still really mattered to him. Not remotely surprised he ended up working for the Rangers. They are definitely his team.

Side note, Chris was actually a prick. First and only time I got that feeling being around a pro. Not because of the topic, just his whole demeanor. My girlfriend at the time and some of her friends were teachers with his fiancé and had met him, independently coming to the same conclusion. Sometimes to be good you gotta be that way I guess. :dunno:

I grew up right next door and knew some kids who played against the Trumbull LL kids as they aged up in baseball. He wasn't the only one who was affected by early fame.

But it's hard to blame most of those kids for not following the Whalers. It was difficult to do so when Fairfield County received the New York stations and cable channels instead of SportsChannel New England. It's how I grew up following the Rangers instead of the Whalers and I was right at the end of Fairfield County.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm excited about his development. Would be great if he won the 4C role next year and even better if he worked out as the long-term Staal replacement. But I don't think it's worth too much worry, it'll get resolved this summer one way or another.

If he's willing to play here that's great, if not we move him and get compensated for that extra year of control. The front office certainly has experience dealing with the Ranger's in this scenario. I'm confident we'd get a good return if it came to that.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I grew up right next door and knew some kids who played against the Trumbull LL kids as they aged up in baseball. He wasn't the only one who was affected by early fame.

But it's hard to blame most of those kids for not following the Whalers. It was difficult to do so when Fairfield County received the New York stations and cable channels instead of SportsChannel New England. It's how I grew up following the Rangers instead of the Whalers and I was right at the end of Fairfield County.
Totally. I didn’t know about the cable rights until my 20’s, it was one of the more insulting aspects of the whole debacle. Makes total sense everyone who grew up on that side never saw a Whaler game. Chris even talked about that in the conversation we had.

That’s interesting insight, being a superstar at 11 I’m sure changes kids.

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
I hope as much as anyone that he signs with us. He has a Brind'amour style work ethic on the ice, with good anticipation (hockey IQ) and willingness to go to the front of the net. I think he is one of the better C prospects we have, if not our best. (I'm not saying he has the highest ceiling but he is on track to be a future NHLer.) I could see him in the Staal shutdown role for sure. Geekie has been solid this season but very replaceable, so maybe we can tempt Drury with a guaranteed shot at 4C to start the 21-22 season. Then after Trocheck is gone we can re-evaluate the Center group. He is just so close to being an un-signed FA, might as well explore all options.

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
I knew Ted, Jack's dad in high school. Very good person and super down to earth. Even as a super star, he would ask how I was doing in my sports and give me training tips. I was a few years younger than him. From what I know of him, he would want what is the best for his son and his career. He would be more interested in where Jack would have the best opportunity to grow...not playing for a certain team because of the team's name like NYR. Fans tend to think about teams differently than pro athletes.

As a player, you might actually shy away from a team where your uncle is the ast. GM. Adds a lot of pressure and you are always under suspicion of whether you are getting favored or not. If I was him, I would definitely shy away from playing for NYR. If he was going hometown, he would probably want to go for the Blackhawks.

Almost everyone in Fairfield county area was a Rangers fan at that time. You get NYC channels and are able to see the games. We never saw Whalers games and they were never that good during that era.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I knew Ted, Jack's dad in high school. Very good person and super down to earth. Even as a super star, he would ask how I was doing in my sports and give me training tips. I was a few years younger than him. From what I know of him, he would want what is the best for his son and his career. He would be more interested in where Jack would have the best opportunity to grow...not playing for a certain team because of the team's name like NYR. Fans tend to think about teams differently than pro athletes.

As a player, you might actually shy away from a team where your uncle is the ast. GM. Adds a lot of pressure and you are always under suspicion of whether you are getting favored or not. If I was him, I would definitely shy away from playing for NYR. If he was going hometown, he would probably want to go for the Blackhawks.

Almost everyone in Fairfield county area was a Rangers fan at that time. You get NYC channels and are able to see the games. We never saw Whalers games and they were never that good during that era.
We had our own example. Keegan Lowe specifically did not want to be drafted by the Oilers. What makes everyone tick is different. Maybe he's dying to play for the Rangers or some other specific team. Maybe he's one of those guys that has some loyalty to the team that drafted him. As long as he either signs or we get something for him like Fox, I'll be fine. But I've said before I probably have him higher in my rankings than most, so I definitely favor if he signs with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad