Prospect Info: Hurricanes select C Jack Drury #42 OA

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not sure what started clicking from 16/17 to 17/18 but he sure made a huge leap in terms of production, and was a "C" to boot. I really like this pick.
Worth noting that in 16-17 Waterloo was a rather deep team for the USHL and lost a lot of guys to the NCAA ranks. Finished 2nd in their conference that year. Drury took over as captain in an increased role this season and they had an even BETTER year, though they still lost in the semi-finals again.

He's a guy that doesn't exactly have a ton of flash but like Paul Stastny really upped his game from year 1 in the USHL to year 2.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Worth noting that in 16-17 Waterloo was a rather deep team for the USHL and lost a lot of guys to the NCAA ranks. Finished 2nd in their conference that year. Drury took over as captain in an increased this season and they had an even BETTER year, though they still lost in the semi-finals again.

He's a guy that doesn't exactly have a ton of flash but like Paul Stastny really upped his game from year 1 in the USHL to year 2.
I really like the Drury pick as I've stated already....the only red flag is that 1/2 of his points are secondary assists.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
If you get 2 NHL regulars out of each draft, you're doing OK. Drury will make the NHL...he's the kind of hard working kid that will not be stopped, plus he has the DNA to do so. Granted it may be as a 4C, hopefully a 3.
While I don't like any pick after our first 2, if Drury pans out like I think he will, it was a good draft.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
His ceiling seems to be third line center, which makes for a poor second rounder to me sometimes but maybe he’s viewed as a near lock for making at least as a fourth line center so he was rated high? I had hopes until I saw him skate at that first camp. Then I stopped having any hopes and was annoyed we drafted him there. He’s basically a slower Clark Bishop to me at this point unless he really works at the skating and improves his offense.

Weak on his edges, limited length in his strides, not a lot of quick twitch adaptation to make up for it.

From the little I've been able to find, I do believe that Drury's skating has gotten a bit better. I'd also say he's got underrated hands. Kid was in the Top 20 in freshman scoring, putting up 24 in 32 games. In his draft year, he had a 22 game point streak. The point is, he's not without offensive skills. It's just that he's also allegedly got serious leadership qualities, plays the game hard all the time, and thinks the game well. I'm not hoping for a 2nd coming of anybody in particular, but I think his ceiling would be a 2nd line center and would be an adequate 3rd liner. The fact that he's good in the dot and is a defensive beast smells like "Jordan Staal" replacement.

Some good in-house prospect analysis for Drury. Thought is was worth capturing in his draft thread.

It might be helpful to reference the old Hockey's Future prospect grading rubric:

https://www.hockeysfuture.com/playerprojections/

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I still think Jack Drury is in the AHL next season if he's willing to sign. A couple of AHL seasons against that competition would be more effective than NCAA time in my opinion.

I'm watching the replay of the 7-0 game against Yale (and Hurricanes older blood-line pick L.Stevens).

Lots of open ice for Harvard and Drury. He's not really under much pressure to use his skating and create space/lanes because of the level of competition and the relatively good puck movement / team-play on Harvard.

Not sure what would be best for his development next year...going pro would definitely force him to put a focus on his skating.

Here are the highlights...nice snipe on his 2nd goal:

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm watching the replay of the 7-0 game against Yale (and Hurricanes older blood-line pick L.Stevens).

Lots of open ice for Harvard and Drury. He's not really under much pressure to use his skating and create space/lanes because of the level of competition and the relatively good puck movement / team-play on Harvard.

Not sure what would be best for his development next year...going pro would definitely force him to put a focus on his skating.

Here are the highlights...nice snipe on his 2nd goal:

This is the exact video to watch if you want to understand why points in the NCAA are deceiving. That was awful. It may not push his skating but he will be able to play with the puck a lot more and develop the offense, plus pp development. If he goes to the pros he's going straight to chip and chase and nothing but defense. Yes the skating will get worked on but that's it. I had this problem with us rushing Sutter, he had some raw skill that would've been more developed if we left him in juniors one more year. Didnt do him good to come to us when he did, and despite some scoring early on he played a defensive minded game. If Jack is going to be anything beyond a fourth line player (maybe third) he could use to play a more offensive role in such low key situations. Once they are in the tournament it's not like this. They do play good teams in their schedule during the season too.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
This is the exact video to watch if you want to understand why points in the NCAA are deceiving. That was awful. It may not push his skating but he will be able to play with the puck a lot more and develop the offense, plus pp development. If he goes to the pros he's going straight to chip and chase and nothing but defense. Yes the skating will get worked on but that's it. I had this problem with us rushing Sutter, he had some raw skill that would've been more developed if we left him in juniors one more year. Didnt do him good to come to us when he did, and despite some scoring early on he played a defensive minded game. If Jack is going to be anything beyond a fourth line player (maybe third) he could use to play a more offensive role in such low key situations. Once they are in the tournament it's not like this. They do play good teams in their schedule during the season too.

They played #7 in the country Clarkson last Saturday. I caught the 2nd half of the game...at that point it was already 4-2 Clarkson.

Drury had a primary assist to make it 4-3...think it was his only point of the game.

Donato was leaning heavy on Drury's line in the 3rd to try and tie the game...seemed like he was on the ice every other shift...given how he's used at Harvard, I'm coming around to the idea it would be best for him to stay in school as opposed to go pro.

He's getting so much ice and getting used in different ways...even saw him line up as point on PP. But mostly he plays around the net. He was fed a nice pass in front of the net that would've tied the game but he muffed it.

Here are highlights:

Reactions: cptjeff and vorbis

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They played #7 in the country Clarkson last Saturday. I caught the 2nd half of the game...at that point it was already 4-2 Clarkson.

Drury had a primary assist to make it 4-3...think it was his only point of the game.

Donato was leaning heavy on Drury's line in the 3rd to try and tie the game...seemed like he was on the ice every other shift...given how he's used at Harvard, I'm coming around to the idea it would be best for him to stay in school as opposed to go pro.

He's getting so much ice and getting used in different ways...even saw him line up as point on PP. But mostly he plays around the net. He was fed a nice pass in front of the net that would've tied the game but he muffed it.

Here are highlights:

I agree that it’s a good place to leave him. He has work to do, and teaching him how to be a grinder as a pro shouldn’t be something we feel needed to rush as he’s already that guy. He’ll develop more skill down there. That’s where he needs growth.

Reactions: DaveG

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I remain scared of leaving our guys in the NCAA after their 2nd year....and not just because of Fox...injuries, speed of the game, etc. I think Drury would get as good or better development in the AHL and likely play 3rd line minutes.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad