Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes @ Rangers 10/16/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He's been the best thing to start this season, outside of Nash. Also love Stempniak. Not exactly a lot of competition with the rest though.

Agreed.

I'd still like to see a game or two with Miller and Hayes at the center position.

AHB*

Agreed.

I'd still like to see a game or two with Miller and Hayes at the center position.

For Sure. I know people will scream at me for this but I would like to see a game with these lines. When Stepan comes back we swap Hayes with Miller and put Steps back on #1.

Nash-Hayes-MSL
Kreider-Brass-Zucc
Hags-Miller-Stempniak
Malone-Moore-Fast

Last edited by a moderator:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
For Sure. I know people will scream at me for this but I would like to see a game with these lines.

Nash-Hayes-MSL
Kreider-Brass-Zucc
Malone-Miller-Stempniak
Duclair-Moore-Fast

What happened to Hagelin?

And I really don't like the idea of putting Duc on the 4th line.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Where is the Duke? Guy is a beast with tons of untapped potential, who in their right mind will cut him?

When Step and Boyle return:

Anthony Duclair-Derek Stepan-Rick Nash
Chris Kreider-Derick Brassard-Mats Zuccarello
Carl Hagelin-Kevin Hayes-Martin St. Louis
Ryan Malone-Dominic Moore-Lee Stempniak (now that's wing depth :nod:)

Ryan McDonagh-Dan Girardi
Marc Staal-Dan Boyle
John Moore-Kevin Klein

Henrik Lundqvist
Cam Tablot

Bingo. Stepan has nothing to do with Duclair, when he gets back. Miller is the odd man out. Unless he starts playing better and Duclair suddenly looks overwhelmed.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Game reminded me of one of those mid-season dog days games.

Whatever. They got two points, that's all that matters. Khudobin played well.

The lineup is very disjointed right now so all this doom and gloom is ridiculous.

They'll hit their stride. Nobody wins in October.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
This. It's exaggeration but he looks twice as fast as last yr. & yrs prior.

Phyisically he looks to be the size he was when he entered the league 10 years ago. You could see it in his first interview in camp. He had a heck of a summer. Good for him.

He is playing faster and getting to the interior of the ice a lot more which IMO was his #1 issue last year. If I got concussed twice in a year I probably would have worked the perimeter too. But it's nice to see thus far he seems to be playing more loose and aggressively.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Honestly, I kinda think Duclair is already showing signs of falling behind a bit. I wouldn't say he has been bad and he still has extremely impressive flashes. But I don't think he's a lock to stay when Stepan is back, nor do I think spending the rest of the year tearing up Juniors and the WJC after getting a real taste of the NHL (and where he still can improve) would be a bad thing AT ALL.

I think it's a real tough decision and can see the merits of both choices. But I don't think he's a lock at all.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Really like Hayes. He's got a great size/speed combo and I've been impressed with his patience with the puck and his vision.

His game needs some rounding, but you can see why he was a 1st rounder.

Vickers8

Really like Hayes. He's got a great size/speed combo and I've been impressed with his patience with the puck and his vision.

His game needs some rounding, but you can see why he was a 1st rounder.

Great agility for a big man

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Nash was an absolute animal last night. Speed and his stripping of the puck was amazing.

Duclair was pretty much sat late in the game. Not a fan.

IMO, Miller should be playing. Let the kid play.

Glass was not needed last night. Malone was okay.

Hayes looked VERY good. MSL at center should be done. Hayes-Brassard-Miller-Moore until Stepan comes back. The strength will be on the wing, that's fine.

Hayes looked like he has legit offensive moves and his skating has gotten better. Most likely he has adjusted to the pro game and his size is evident with his reach and protection of the puck.

I think he and Nash may have a nice chemistry. Both are bigger guys, move the puck well, Hayes likes to pass, both skate well.

When Stepan comes back:

Nash-Hayes-MSL
Kreider-Stepan-Stempniak
Hagelin-Brassard-MZA

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Phyisically he looks to be the size he was when he entered the league 10 years ago. You could see it in his first interview in camp. He had a heck of a summer. Good for him.

He is playing faster and getting to the interior of the ice a lot more which IMO was his #1 issue last year. If I got concussed twice in a year I probably would have worked the perimeter too. But it's nice to see thus far he seems to be playing more loose and aggressively.

I forgot which period it was, 2nd or 3rd but he took a pass and was in the 50/50 spot trying to go around the defender, he turned the jets on and walked right by... I have been a Nash "criticizer" for almost as long as he's been here (in my eyes rightfully so) but he's shown more in the past few games than in his tenure to this point. He's been what I expected (hoping maybe) since we decimated the cupboard for him. Yes, concussions are to be taken into account, but he didn't look this good prior to those IMHO

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hayes has this patience and poise with the puck that you really don't see in a lot of NHL'ers at all. Multiple defenders will bar down on him at once, and he'll still have full control of the puck, even with no room. There's absolutely no panic in his game. I especially love how he uses his freakishly long reach to take the puck away, and back check. You can also see his decision making improve each game, and see him start to utilize his size more along the boards. Just a beautiful package of athletic gifts and hockey smarts. If he puts it all together, we've got a hell of a player.

He is playing to his size and strength. He's able to keep control of the puck when he's hit and advance with it and make a play. He's so big and strong that defenders need to some time gang up on him and that always leaves someone open. He has good hands and good vision for how a play can unfold. He's patient with the puck--not panicky at all. He hasn't been able to put it all together where he or one of his line mates actually finish a play but in every game he's been close and usually more than one or two times. It will come.

There are some issues with his defensive play and he needs to get a lot better on face-offs. His skating is okay but can be worked on too. He's a load when he gets the puck--should be great at cycling it.

AHB*

Bingo. Stepan has nothing to do with Duclair, when he gets back. Miller is the odd man out. Unless he starts playing better and Duclair suddenly looks overwhelmed.

Miller isn't even playing. Who is the odd man out based on last nights lineup? Stepan absolutely has something to do with Duclair. When he comes back, MSL goes back to the wing then we have to many wingers. Who are we benching for Duke? Malone? Glass? Stempniak looks better then Duke. He shouldn't be moved to the 4th line at the expense of a rookie, just to get him playing time.

Frankly, Duke has been invisible the last few games when it counts. Guy has a ton of promise, but he just doesn't seem quite ready for the big show. I'm a major fan, but it'll be a waste putting him on the 4th line and he's not ready to handle top line minutes yet. Send him back to juniors, let him marinate for another season, build his body up, learn the game a little better and then give him a big shot next year.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Missed the game, can I get a brief rundown?

Did the lines change? I saw on the highlight of Brass' goal Kreider and Zucc were on the ice. Did AV make that change?

Hayes?

Duclair?

Nash?

MSL at center?

The D?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated - I know how annoying this is :(

AHB*

Stempniak on the 4th is called having depth. lol

Why are we putting Stempniak on the 4th? He's been our best player outside of Nash. He certainly shouldn't be dumped down because of Duke and quite frankly, with the way he's been playing, we should be bumping him up and giving him more playing time.

Too many people want to sacrifice things to fit Duke in this lineup. He hasn't looked good the last few games, assists or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad