Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes @ Rangers 10/16/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
This Girardi on the PP thing has to end. It's been a joke for months, its gone beyond ridiculous and ludicrous into something that can't be defined with language.

AV is usually pretty sharp, but I really can't see the reasoning here. At all. Are we that afraid of SHG's that we can't use a forward on the point? Is he some sort of phenom in practice that we just never see?

Unless we are protecting a lead Girardi should be nowhere near the PP.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Miller played wing the majority of time he was up with the team last year and contributed basically nothing offensively. Stop acting like putting him on wing is going to spark him offensively cuz he doesn't have to think as much

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
Nash Hayes MSL
Kreids Brass Zucc
Hags Moore Duc
Malone (???)Stemp

???= Miller, Lindberg Mueller

I would really like to see Stemp with Brass and Zucc, he is a huge upgrade over Pouillet but I can't make the pieces work ie what do you do with Kreider if Stemp is there.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
This Girardi on the PP thing has to end. It's been a joke for months, its gone beyond ridiculous and ludicrous into something that can't be defined with language.

AV is usually pretty sharp, but I really can't see the reasoning here. At all. Are we that afraid of SHG's that we can't use a forward on the point? Is he some sort of phenom in practice that we just never see?

yeah, its a weird obsession of av's. he seems to always defer to girardi on the pp.

no idea why.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Miller played wing the majority of time he was up with the team last year and contributed basically nothing offensively. Stop acting like putting him on wing is going to spark him offensively cuz he doesn't have to think as much

please stop force feeding us jt miller in the middle. aint working. remember last season, up and down. up and down. over and over. hate to have a repeat of that.

atleast on the wing hell have less responsibility and more chance of contributing.

basic hockey fact. playing center requires more iq,more thinking and more responsibility than playing the edge. give him a chance to contribute. maybe hell catch fire.

keep him at center and hes destined for hartford.

Vickers8

10 points in 59 games

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I will guess that If Duclair is not in the top 6 at practice, that he is headed back to juniors very soon

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Well he has caught on to the speed of the game a lot faster than I anticipated. Not sure that makes us nuts

He's doing the same things he was doing in preseason though...I don't really understand why people had so much of an issue with his skating. He's never going to have a quick first step and his skating is never going to look graceful and effortless, but he has good top speed and he's not actually that lumbering despite his skating stride.

AHB*

mistake in judgment = nuts?

It's not even a mistake in judgement necessarily. He's played 3 games. This isn't directed at you at all, as I"m in agreement, but some people on here don't just want to throw 3 -5 kids in the lineup and go forward. That's not a safe or smart game plan.

I've liked Hayes the most out of the rookies. He's really blown away my expectations in the THREE games he's played. That being said, I see a lot of people on here only looking for the positives in Duke's games instead of the fair amount of negatives I've seen.

Miller has been a major letdown unfortunately.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I know the Miller at center is not working, but he will be playing there again if AV sticks with the 3 lines he had. He could role miller with Stempniak and Hagelin. Moore between Glass and Malone. I agree that Duke is going back. There is no spot for him now. Once Stepan is back, he really has even less of a role because of PP time.

No shame in sending the 19 year old back. Also, Miller will be sent down when Step is back or at least he should be. Step, Brass, Hayes, and Moore down the middle.

The biggest concern for Hayes is the rookie wall he'll hit. Being in college, he played less games than junior or AHL. I could see that time as opportune for Miller/Lindberg to get a recall if it plays out like that.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
With a full roster we don't really have a top 6/bottom 6 as much as a top 9/bottom 3.

It might be tough for Duclair to find top 9 time even if he is playing well. I doubt they view MSL at pivot as a long term solution and if Hayes (or Miller) stick at center when Stepan returns, there wont be much room on the wings.

If he makes it impossible to send him down, maybe they think about trading Hagelin.

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Hagelin/Duclair-Hayes-Nash
Stempniak-Brassard-MZA
Malone-Moore-Fast/Glass

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Yeah I agree no reason to waste him on the bottom 6.

IMO a third line role for him is fine. AV balances the ice-time enough that he wouldn't be wasted in a top 9 role.

People who thought Hayes wasn't NHL ready are nuts this guy can hang with the big boys.

Certainly didn't look ready in the first few pre-season games. I think it's more that he's been progressively improving in every game since, which is fantastic.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Given that the Duke isn't on a 9-game restriction since the 1st year ELC gets burned off anyway, I could see the Duke getting the "39" game trial.

In other words more than 9 games, and less than 40 so it doesn't affect his UFA status.

Could be a case where he gets sent down to the WJC and then to Quebec...

That said, he hasn't done anything to deserve getting sent down, he just has to do more to stay up. He has to score.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Still it was Girardi's finely placed shot from off the boards that first Zucc tipped and then Brassard tipped again into the tying goal.

As far as his being on the pwp--he'd probably see a lot less time if it weren't for Boyle being injured. If you're looking for a right handed point shot--you have to go with what you have. The Rangers are using 4 forwards a lot and a forward on the point can be problematic if he is forced to defend. Generally I'd prefer two d-men on the point on a pwp and in our case committing the lion's share of pwp time to McDonagh and Boyle whenever possible. It's not possible now.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
please stop force feeding us jt miller in the middle. aint working. remember last season, up and down. up and down. over and over. hate to have a repeat of that.

atleast on the wing hell have less responsibility and more chance of contributing.

basic hockey fact. playing center requires more iq,more thinking and more responsibility than playing the edge. give him a chance to contribute. maybe hell catch fire.

keep him at center and hes destined for hartford.

U clearly didn't read the post u quoted... Miller played wing most of last season including stinks with zucc and brassard where ppl keep trying to put him and he was ineffective. Miller should just get a spot because the franchise has a lot invested in him. He clearly can't win a consistent spot on this team so send him down so he can play top line minutes in the AHL...

And I understand that playing the wing is easier but he couldn't do tht last yr and I doubt that putting him on wing now and having to learn a new position after playing center all throughout camp.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
It's not even a mistake in judgement necessarily. He's played 3 games. This isn't directed at you at all, as I"m in agreement, but some people on here don't just want to throw 3 -5 kids in the lineup and go forward. That's not a safe or smart game plan.
I considered wording it a potential error in judgment, and I think that applies. You're right--he's been better than I expected, but it's too soon to be throwing any parades.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
As someone who doesn't see the game as in depth as some of you, what was so bad about Hayes in preseason that most thought he needed "seasoning". I saw him using his body on offense just as well as he is now. Was it defensively? I know face offs have been a weak point but what else is new with the Rangers.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If Hayes is the guy and Miller is the odd man out I'd love for him to increase his trade value.

If hes not an asset on the ice he can still be one off the ice

AHB*

I considered wording it a potential error in judgment, and I think that applies. You're right--he's been better than I expected, but it's too soon to be throwing any parades.

Lol, I'll take that. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino