Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes @ Rangers 10/16/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndThereGoesGrabner*

I expect the Rangers to be better than this, but the depth on the team as a whole is not as good as last season, and thats with Stepan and Boyle healthy. If there is an injury to one of your top players, like right now, the team will struggle.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I expect the Rangers to be better than this, but the depth on the team as a whole is not as good as last season, and thats with Stepan and Boyle healthy. If there is an injury to one of your top players, like right now, the team will struggle.

I don't know. We have depth on the wings. Not much at all at center or defense, which is the problem right now. AV is also still messing with his line combinations and not giving guys a lot of time to gel. It'll get sorted out. Hayes had a very good sequence when he was in between MSL and Nash.

DieByTheShield

Fire AV
Sep 15, 2014
San Diego CA
Nash looks superb. Like a dominant force, let's hope he stays healthy. If he does, he could have his best season in a long time.

Is it just me or has Hayes been vastly better than Miller has? I like his size and I really like his game, honestly, Hayes in preseason game 1 vs Hayes now is night and day.

I only saw the 3rd and OT/SO, why was Duclair benched? Just lost in the shuffle aka the Kreider treatment from AV?

Hagelin and Stempniak are two VERY solid 3rd line wingers and I think play a similar game and should be our 3rd line wingers. Problem is, where does that leave the Duke? When Stepan is back, I see:

Nash-Stepan-MSL
Kreider-Brass-Zucc
Hags-Hayes/JT-Stempniak
Glass-Moore-Malone/Fast

I know a lot of people have Stempniak slotted on their 4th, but honestly, I think he's too good for the 4th.

Just curious how you guys think this will all shake out.

Where is the Duke? Guy is a beast with tons of untapped potential, who in their right mind will cut him?

When Step and Boyle return:

Anthony Duclair-Derek Stepan-Rick Nash
Chris Kreider-Derick Brassard-Mats Zuccarello
Carl Hagelin-Kevin Hayes-Martin St. Louis
Ryan Malone-Dominic Moore-Lee Stempniak (now that's wing depth :nod:)

Ryan McDonagh-Dan Girardi
Marc Staal-Dan Boyle
John Moore-Kevin Klein

Henrik Lundqvist
Cam Tablot

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Nash's S/O move fails in comparison to his play in the 3rd (i believe) where he stripped the puck off someone, got double teamed, then stripped it back AGAIN and then wind milled around the guy to almost setup MSL for a goal. That was just digusting.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Nash's S/O move fails in comparison to his play in the 3rd (i believe) where he stripped the puck off someone, got double teamed, then stripped it back AGAIN and then wind milled around the guy to almost setup MSL for a goal. That was just digusting.

I know. I almost threw up.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Happy they got the win, didn't see much because it was on a small screen at the bar, but saw Duclair draw that penalty, was like ohhhh. One of these days they will put in a power play goal.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Just finished watching the game. Thought the team outplayed Carolina. Henrik was Henrik. Hunwick is clearly a better fit and player than Kostka. Yes Hunwick made some small mistakes here and there but was able to make up for it with his skating. Thought the defensive six did a solid job.

We NEED to score on the powerplay. Bottom line. And compared to years past struggles is that these PP units move the puck so much better and shoot more. It will come but damn please come soon.

It was the right move to sit Duke in the third but it was not based on his play. Although I think Duke had been better in the last few games. He still created chances in first two periods. Rangers needed a win badly. He went with three lines. He wanted MSL on the wing and moved Hayes up. Thats all it was.

I want more from Kreider. Yes he did a good job on the tying goal but I want him to be more aggressive. I know its there. Some shifts he has seemed a little more passive but then others he is skating hard being more physical. I love Krieder i think most here know i do if you have been around since before he came up. Just want more consistency.

Lastly...i thought Hayes was outstanding. He skated much better tonight, maybe the best his legs have looked. He was strong on the puck controlling it so well at times. He was physical. His big frame was noticeable. And his vision was great. Some of the passes he made were world class plays. He looked more sure of himself. He has nice hands. I hope he keeps it up.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Does it look to anyone else like Rick Nash lost some weight this year. I always thought he had a fat face. He seems in much better shape this year.

Another thought - hearing McD's interview just confirms how last year Callahan was never really the Captain, Richards was. I honestly wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back next year in a limited capacity. Richards left on amicable terms, and I bet he'd come back.

Hehe, BR back for 1.5m per... ;)

He could make sense at that value, but I don't think we really need a center.

Stepanstones*

Where is the Duke? Guy is a beast with tons of untapped potential, who in their right mind will cut him?

Marc Staal-Dan Boyle
John Moore-Kevin Klein

Henrik Lundqvist
Cam Tablot

Completely 100% agree on those lines stemp, Moore and malone on the 4th line will be beautiful fully believe any line can score + hags and St Louis have great Chem

Bulls9220

Feb 6, 2010
New York
I know we havent exactly started off on fire but people on the main board are saying we wont make the playoffs, which is easily one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Flyers will though.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL

Marc Staal-Dan Boyle
John Moore-Kevin Klein

Henrik Lundqvist
Cam Tablot

Best lineup proposal I've seen by far. Who knows if it works but on paper it's fantastic. This is how I'd run my NYR BAGM at least!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's not exciting to beat Carolina in the shootout but there are a few good things to take from the game...they didn't give up and implode when Carolina scored a fluke goal, and they didn't make many big mistakes they have been prone to doing. Overall they outplayed Carolina (pretty sure their possession stats would show an advantage at least because Carolina had to block a ton of shots as well), Lundqvist was pretty good, good bounceback game for him.

Carolina was playing quite conservatively which can make even a team low on talent hard to play against. Their D men rarely got out of position and had support, so even if they aren't good individually they didn't have to go one on one up against the Rangers forwards very often. They took away the center of the ice in their defensive zone well so the Rangers had trouble getting good chances in those areas, and Khudobin was solid. So I'm not surprised the Rangers struggled to generate excellent opportunities, but they still need to do a better job. Still some sloppy passing out there

Something to build on, hopefully it helps them steady themselves

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
5 games in people.... It's not how you start it's how you finish. Last year the Rangers had Taylor Pyatt playing for them at this point it the season. It's ok we are going to be fine.

Best part of the game was when AV moved St. Louis to Wing and gave Hayes more minutes with better players. That's why AV and his staff are exemplary coaches. In game adjustments like that win games and credit to them. St. Louis looked a million times better at wing!

Also, patience with Duclair. The guy no doubt has tremendous skill but, at 19, he has so much to learn about the game. Asking him to play first line minutes right now is absurd. The more realistic question is, does he benefit more from learning g from guys like St. Louis and Nash by watching them play from the bench and getting used in specific situations( power play, low pressure situations, or does he develop better in the AHL.) I'd lean towards keeping him up here for this year and let him learn from a hall of fame winger in St. Louis. Lord knows there are no hall of famers playing in Hartford right now.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kevin Hayes is the man. End of fight between him and miller. And I was very pro miller in training camp. Miller stood out in the beginning but never really improved as the competition improved around him.. He could use more time in the A to learn about being a pro and bringing it constantly..
If we didn't sign Hayes just imagine how bad we'd look right now? Hats of to slats on tht one

I agree and I am suprised by this.

At the same time, Kreider at this point last season was a major failure in the AHL. Like not only couldn't he keep a job in NY, he was very invisible in the AHL. Then he just started to put it together.

Like I don't know, sometimes you are just wrong, but I would be suprised if Miller don't start to move up soon. I think he started the training camp really strong, and I just don't think he has moved nearly as well lately as he did early in Camp. I wouldn't at all be suprised to hear that he is playing through groin problems or whatever. Where is the intensity in his skating?

AHB*

Disappointed with the overall game. Happy we got the win. Internet went out with a minute left in the third how was the shoot out goal by Nash?

Beautiful

Marc Staal-Dan Boyle
John Moore-Kevin Klein

Henrik Lundqvist
Cam Tablot

You're right about Duke's untapped potential, but I think there's certainly a chance he gets sent back to Juniors for the year. He was moved to the 4th line last night and frankly, the team looked much better when he was. Those 3rd period lines were the most balance and more important, most effective we have seen this season.

Hayes again had a good game. He will learn to get shots off and should improve much more. Seems very confident and heady as well.

I was certainly wrong about Miller being better then him to start the year. Hayes looks like an NHL player.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Hayes has this patience and poise with the puck that you really don't see in a lot of NHL'ers at all. Multiple defenders will bar down on him at once, and he'll still have full control of the puck, even with no room. There's absolutely no panic in his game. I especially love how he uses his freakishly long reach to take the puck away, and back check. You can also see his decision making improve each game, and see him start to utilize his size more along the boards. Just a beautiful package of athletic gifts and hockey smarts. If he puts it all together, we've got a hell of a player.

AHB*

Hayes has this patience and poise with the puck that you really don't see in a lot of NHL'ers at all. Multiple defenders will bar down on him at once, and he'll still have full control of the puck, even with no room. There's absolutely no panic in his game. I especially love how he uses his freakishly long reach to take the puck away, and back check. You can also see his decision making improve each game, and see him start to utilize his size more along the boards. Just a beautiful package of athletic gifts and hockey smarts. If he puts it all together, we've got a hell of a player.

He's been the best thing to start this season, outside of Nash. Also love Stempniak. Not exactly a lot of competition with the rest though.

Vickers8

Love the way he uses his size like Nash to shield defenders from the puck, very poised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia