Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Info and Discussion - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Meh, we spent a 5th on him. I'm not going to lose sleep over a guy that we drafted that late thinking the upside could be there for him to be a middle 6er turning out to be another say Ryan Bayda instead.

ryan bayda arguably one of the more important players in franchise history

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Will be interesting if Francis release Daniels after this season. Something needs to happening in Charlotte over the summer.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
And for me I'd rather have the Checkers lose with guys we drafted and are at least attempting to develop. While Char might be a feel good story in Charlotte, I'd much rather use his slot on a kid we're hoping to develop. Same with Hagel, Holmstrom, and to a lesser extent Sandlak. So sign these guys and get them in the rotation. If we're gonna suck in Charlotte, let's suck with our homegrown guys....my two cents...

Oh, and yes, I realize it is a business and the Checkers are trying to ice a winning team, but come on, how much better are these guys than some of our young options. I agree with Dave as I'd like to get 'em on board.

Every AHL team needs a couple vets to teach the young guys how to be professionals. **** haven't you seen Bull Durham.

froze

Jul 1, 2011
And for me I'd rather have the Checkers lose with guys we drafted and are at least attempting to develop. While Char might be a feel good story in Charlotte, I'd much rather use his slot on a kid we're hoping to develop. Same with Hagel, Holmstrom, and to a lesser extent Sandlak. So sign these guys and get them in the rotation. If we're gonna suck in Charlotte, let's suck with our homegrown guys....my two cents...

Every AHL team needs a couple vets to teach the young guys how to be professionals. **** haven't you seen Bull Durham.

I think that (regardless of the movie) you have to include a vet or two with character - guys like Hagel, LaRose or Holmstrom. LaRose adds some offense but I think a guy like Hagel who is not a scorer but knows exactly what to do on and off the ice is a huge asset for development of the more skilled yutes.

Sandlak is actually still on an ELC but he has not shown much in the AHL and has been a scratch mostly. It seems like he is a good player when he is in the ECHL so maybe he would benefit from time down there to get his game together.

The Hurricanes need to stop being so myopic in scouting the Plymouth Whalers. I know that PK owns the Whalers as well as the Hurricanes so I guess that is understandable. But they keep bringing on players like Sandlak, Schmitz, Levi who just are not going to make it even in the AHL.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
The Hurricanes need to stop being so myopic in scouting the Plymouth Whalers. I know that PK owns the Whalers as well as the Hurricanes so I guess that is understandable. But they keep bringing on players like Sandlak, Schmitz, Levi who just are not going to make it even in the AHL.

PK sold the Whalers this season and the team is being moved to Flint. Hopefully this puts an end to the whalers pipeline of prospects.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think that (regardless of the movie) you have to include a vet or two with character - guys like Hagel, LaRose or Holmstrom. LaRose adds some offense but I think a guy like Hagel who is not a scorer but knows exactly what to do on and off the ice is a huge asset for development of the more skilled yutes.

Sandlak is actually still on an ELC but he has not shown much in the AHL and has been a scratch mostly. It seems like he is a good player when he is in the ECHL so maybe he would benefit from time down there to get his game together.

Yup, I understand all of that, but we do have (or at least should have that with guys like Shugg, Muse, and to a lesser extent, Keegan Lowe, Jared Staal and Brody Sutter. I feel that it should be an ebb and flow. There was no way this year's Checker's team was going to be very competitive, so it would have been the perfect opportunity for younger, but experienced players to step up into leadership roles. Between the coaches and those "young vets" they should be able to provide the locker room and "street" guidance. All I'm saying is that if we're looking at bumping up against contract limits then some of these older players are the expendable ones. And if some of our previous draft picks haven't panned out, it is time to cut bait.

Finally, I wouldn't mind seeing Dennis Robertson get a look see. Seems like he's got some underrated offensive talent.

froze

Jul 1, 2011
Yup, I understand all of that, but we do have (or at least should have that with guys like Shugg, Muse, and to a lesser extent, Keegan Lowe, Jared Staal and Brody Sutter. I feel that it should be an ebb and flow. There was no way this year's Checker's team was going to be very competitive, so it would have been the perfect opportunity for younger, but experienced players to step up into leadership roles. Between the coaches and those "young vets" they should be able to provide the locker room and "street" guidance. All I'm saying is that if we're looking at bumping up against contract limits then some of these older players are the expendable ones. And if some of our previous draft picks haven't panned out, it is time to cut bait.

Finally, I wouldn't mind seeing Dennis Robertson get a look see. Seems like he's got some underrated offensive talent.

Most AHL teams would have probably two-thirds on 2-way contracts with the parent club which means that they are still considering them prospects - of that I guess half on Entry Level (ELC) and half on one-year contracts which are typically year-by-year (guys like Boychuk, Shugg, Jordan, Rissanen) who have finished their ELC but the organization wants to keep them around as options. The rest would be on AHL contracts or PTO's (except until the end of the year when they bring several people up on Amateur try-outs).

Some of the players with expiring ELC's or one-year contracts would be cut loose every year if the organization does not think they will be NHL players. Some of those players will seek contracts elsewhere if they think that they have a better opportunity or can make more money at the AHL level.

Expiring this year are:

(original Carolina prospects now on one-year 2-way contracts) - Shugg, Boychuk, Staal, Terry, Rissanen, Jordan.

(original Carolina prospects on expiring entry level contracts) - Sutter, Schmitz, Levi

(new Carolina prospects on one year 2-way contracts) - Neimisz, Holmstrom, Nestrasil, MacIntyre

(on AHL contracts) - LaRose, Hagel, Muse

(on PTO contracts) - Aleardi, Cornell

The Hurricanes need to make decisions on most of those players this off-season.

Of the contracted players, it seems like Tolchinsky and Karlsson are eligible to play next year (as well as Pesce, who has played two games already). I would expect to see Tolchinsky in the AHL for sure.

froze

Jul 1, 2011
And if some of our previous draft picks haven't panned out, it is time to cut bait.

I agree that it is the time to cut bait on several players (draft picks and free-agents) who have just not shown that they are NHL players. There are some difficult decisions to make on fringe NHL players like Boychuk, Terry, Bellemore, etc. They might be able to find better opportunities with other teams but they just don't seem to fit in with Carolina.

froze

Jul 1, 2011
Brock McGinn had his first fight on Thursday. An OKC guy blind-sided Patrick Brown as he was trying to get the puck in his skates (probably not worthy of a penalty and Brown was fine). McGinn did not hesitate for a second and just attacked the guy. Not much of a fight at all and if the guy was ready he probably would have schooled McGinn but it demonstrates McGinn's "do anything" attitude. I have been quite impressed by him even though he is not scoring at the pace some may have expected in his rookie year. He plays a full game for sure.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I agree that it is the time to cut bait on several players (draft picks and free-agents) who have just not shown that they are NHL players. There are some difficult decisions to make on fringe NHL players like Boychuk, Terry, Bellemore, etc. They might be able to find better opportunities with other teams but they just don't seem to fit in with Carolina.

Yes, and there's a few of these guys I'd likely resign/keep around. Unfortunately I'd likely not renew LaRose's contract, I would continue Terry's, Bellemore's, Jordan's, and likely Rissanen's.

Staal, Sutter, Neimisz I think deserve new contract's as well. I'm not sure I'd keep the rest of 'em around, but I'm sure coaches see/know things that I don't. I'm sure we'll have to back fill some, but when ever possible, I'd like us to push our prospects into the fray.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I don't see any way that Terry hasn't earned a one way deal for next season. 10 goals is nothing to sneeze at even for a fringe guy. Plus his skill in the shootout is a great weapon to have. He's not an ideal third liner, but if he were insulated with the proper talent he could make it in that role. I think his comfort level is rising and it's good to see. Terry and Nash are two guys who I think could find a decent home on a line with an established veteran. Not on a contender of course, but on the Hurricanes. Our options aren't fantastic. He scores goals and damn we need more goals.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Those that know my history with being a fan of Jeff Hamilton probably understand that I like Terry for the same reasons. He has the best one-timer on the team. Can play the point effectively on the PP. 5 for 9 in the shootout this season. If he gets the chance long term that Hamilton didn't we'll see those numbers continue to pick up. The guy has such deceptive hands and his shot seems incredibly hard to pick up.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Those that know my history with being a fan of Jeff Hamilton probably understand that I like Terry for the same reasons. He has the best one-timer on the team. Can play the point effectively on the PP. 5 for 9 in the shootout this season. If he gets the chance long term that Hamilton didn't we'll see those numbers continue to pick up. The guy has such deceptive hands and his shot seems incredibly hard to pick up.

And like Nash, Terry has continued to improve over the course of the year. While there are times that I find Riley Nash frustratingly inconsistent, there's no denying that he has progressed every year and will likely continue. He's a solid 3rd line center now. Not great, but solid. I see no reason that Chris Terry wouldn't follow a similar path....and yes, he's got a great shot.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I don't see any way that Terry hasn't earned a one way deal for next season. 10 goals is nothing to sneeze at even for a fringe guy. Plus his skill in the shootout is a great weapon to have. He's not an ideal third liner, but if he were insulated with the proper talent he could make it in that role. I think his comfort level is rising and it's good to see. Terry and Nash are two guys who I think could find a decent home on a line with an established veteran. Not on a contender of course, but on the Hurricanes. Our options aren't fantastic. He scores goals and damn we need more goals.

Imagine if we didn't nitpick the third and fourth liners, but asked for more from the ones who are actually supposed to score the most goals on the team. The stars (supposed stars? Paid like stars?).

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I like Chris Terry. He has been a top scorer and a steady hand in Charlotte for years. All the while this team giving chance after chance to the likes of Dalpe and Boychuk only because they were higher draft picks (not that they were necessarily more deserving). This is Terry's turn now, and he has earned his shot. I say give it to him.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I'm just surprised anyone remembers Jeff Hamilton anymore. Ridiculous shot in the smallest body.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Just figured I'd stop by and say Clark Bishop played some great hockey for the Eagles in the playoffs this year, he might have missed 40 games or whatever during the regular season but he really took it to the Memorial Cup Quebec Remparts.

Finished with 5 goals + 3 assists in 7 games, I would not be surprised at all to see him have a huge offensive breakout next year. Likely going to be playing with Svechnikov and Lazarev on the top line.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Damn that was a hockey play. Thanks for posting that. Interesting that he's been a player described as having limited skill and thus limited upside by several draft outlets last season.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Just figured I'd stop by and say Clark Bishop played some great hockey for the Eagles in the playoffs this year, he might have missed 40 games or whatever during the regular season but he really took it to the Memorial Cup Quebec Remparts.

Finished with 5 goals + 3 assists in 7 games, I would not be surprised at all to see him have a huge offensive breakout next year. Likely going to be playing with Svechnikov and Lazarev on the top line.

Holy ****, that was a great sequence.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Damn, his line/anticipation of where Erne was going was a thing of beauty.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Damn that was a hockey play. Thanks for posting that. Interesting that he's been a player described as having limited skill and thus limited upside by several draft outlets last season.

He has really worked on his shot this year and it showed whenever he wasn't injured. He kind of has a knack for scoring the first goal of the game to get his team in to the game (scored first goal in 4 of 7 games in the series).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I really think the back half of our draft this year is turning out remarkable already.

Wallmark, Bishop, Jenkins, all 3 have had underrated seasons. Bishop really reminds me a LOT of how Helm was as a prospect.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Would be nice if some 3rd and 4th rounders start to turn out. We are spoiled in Ottawa, lots of mid and late rounders have been working out lately.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Would be nice if some 3rd and 4th rounders start to turn out. We are spoiled in Ottawa, lots of mid and late rounders have been working out lately.

We're starting to even with the current crop.

Terry - 5th 07
Bellemore - 6th 07
Jordan - 4th 08
Biega - 3rd 10
Woods - 5th 12

And Andersen almost certainly would be with the big team now had his agent not ****ed us.

None of those guys are game breakers, but the difference between good teams and the Canes is the Canes for the longest time weren't getting literally ANYTHING beyond the 2nd round (or 1st in some cases). The Canes literally went 7 drafts from drafting Bayda and Wallin to finding anyone else that would play 100+ games for us in the mid & late rounds of the draft in Bellemore. That alone would probably cause entire scouting staffs to get canned, instead all that happened here between then and 07 was we brought in Marshall Johnston in 05.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
We're starting to even with the current crop.

Terry - 5th 07
Bellemore - 6th 07
Jordan - 4th 08
Biega - 3rd 10
Woods - 5th 12

And Andersen almost certainly would be with the big team now had his agent not ****ed us.

None of those guys are game breakers, but the difference between good teams and the Canes is the Canes for the longest time weren't getting literally ANYTHING beyond the 2nd round (or 1st in some cases). The Canes literally went 7 drafts from drafting Bayda and Wallin to finding anyone else that would play 100+ games for us in the mid & late rounds of the draft in Bellemore. That alone would probably cause entire scouting staffs to get canned, instead all that happened here between then and 07 was we brought in Marshall Johnston in 05.

Please don't bring up Andersen anymoreeeee, hearing that name makes me tick haha. It would be nice to know what our goalie situation will look like past the 2016 season, Andersen would of been that answer. :(

I really feel like Andersen might come close to being the next Lundqvist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad