Jack LaFontaine|Michigan Wolverines|B1G|4|1-2-1|132|2.69|.923|0
Michael Leighton|Charlotte Checkers|AHL|10|6-2-1|237|1.66|.937|2
Alex Nedeljkovic|Charlotte Checkers|AHL|7|2-5-0|166|3.35|.888|0
Collin Olson|Western Michigan Broncos|NCAC|1|1-0-0|18|1.00|.947|0

Last edited:
Reactions: sheriff bart

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
14 GP for Altshuller...did they misplay this one by not returning him for an overage year?

I count 45 current contracts and would guess Pedersen, Slavin, Pesce, and maybe Ganly would all get offers. If they sign all 4 that would leave 1 contract open to sign an UDFA.

Would be nice if they could trade a D prospect for a F to balance things out...the F prospect pool is ugly.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I have to think they did re: Altshuller. The other problem he ran in to is that he's in Florida who's usually all-in on the Kelly Cup rather then being used for player development. Down there he's stuck behind Allen York, who has played in the show and put up surprisingly decent numbers, and Andy Iles who's 3 years older then Altshuller.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
What a waste of a year for Altshuller.

Watching Jenkins play in the final regular season game here in Mississauga. Unfortunately, Peterborough is keeping their main guys on short shifts so I've barely noticed him.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He's my favorite to take the Open this year. Unfortunately Nestrasil is gonna miss the cut, I mean look at that leaderboard.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Terrible prospect pool. Let's hope we sign some UFA kids and start draft with more success.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Terrible prospect pool. Let's hope we sign some UFA kids and start draft with more success.

Well the first step toward that would be to draft BPA and not super safe positional needs. Middle/late-rounders from the '14 draft seem to be pretty solid like Wallmark and Bishop, but I just get keep getting bad feelings about that Fleury pick in comparison to what we could've had. I (obviously) hope he proves me wrong though.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Well the first step toward that would be to draft BPA and not super safe positional needs. Middle/late-rounders from the '14 draft seem to be pretty solid like Wallmark and Bishop, but I just get keep getting bad feelings about that Fleury pick in comparison to what we could've had. I (obviously) hope he proves me wrong though.

The one thing I'll say on that pick is he was given some very specific stuff to work on this season, and has done quite well in that regard. His offense has suffered as a result but Red Deer also wasn't that great of a team this year. They're thinking next year when they host the Memorial Cup. I'd rather have a guy like Fleury working on his defense then increasing his offense, it will make him an even better player long term.

Yes, we could have had Nylander or Ehlers where we picked. I still think we made the right call for this organization, we won't know how he pans out until at least 3-4 years from now anyway but I'd actually say things are looking good.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
My biggest disappointment and my most happy prospect.

I'll start with biggest disappointment. Brock McGinn
McGinn coming into this season was considered our 3rd best prospect and a lot of people thought he was going to get a roster spot out of training camp. He missed out on that opportunity and by the numbers is looks like he took a poop and put up lack lustre production in his first year as a pro. I only saw him play once, but is there any good insight to still be hopeful about for him? I understand this was his first season as a pro, but wasn't expecting it to be this disappointing.

My happy prospect is Sergey Tolchinsky
He of course is known as an offense first player, and it showed last season. But from what I've heard this season he has substantially added to his all around game, and has still managed to slightly increase his points per game production. If he continues to grow his all around game he may just have a shot to bring his incredible hands into the NHL. Though I'm still not sold he will make it in the NHL, but he definitely has a chance. Excited to see what he can do in Charlotte next season.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Wonder if Erik Karlsson will come over to the AHL if Frölunda lose tomorrow. They play against Luleå (Wallmark) and it's 3-3 now, last game tomorrow.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Wonder if Erik Karlsson will come over to the AHL if Frölunda lose tomorrow. They play against Luleå (Wallmark) and it's 3-3 now, last game tomorrow.

What kind of season has he had? I should've paid more attention but I've been spending most of my hours watching Wallmark for obvious reasons.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
What kind of season has he had? I should've paid more attention but I've been spending most of my hours watching Wallmark for obvious reasons.

Well, I've not watched Frölunda much, but I think he mostly played as extraforward or in the fourthline. Can ask a friend who watch them every game if he can tell me anything.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
My biggest disappointment and my most happy prospect.

I'll start with biggest disappointment. Brock McGinn
McGinn coming into this season was considered our 3rd best prospect and a lot of people thought he was going to get a roster spot out of training camp. He missed out on that opportunity and by the numbers is looks like he took a poop and put up lack lustre production in his first year as a pro. I only saw him play once, but is there any good insight to still be hopeful about for him? I understand this was his first season as a pro, but wasn't expecting it to be this disappointing.

My happy prospect is Sergey Tolchinsky
He of course is known as an offense first player, and it showed last season. But from what I've heard this season he has substantially added to his all around game, and has still managed to slightly increase his points per game production. If he continues to grow his all around game he may just have a shot to bring his incredible hands into the NHL. Though I'm still not sold he will make it in the NHL, but he definitely has a chance. Excited to see what he can do in Charlotte next season.

If you bought hf hype that's your own problem. Mcginn is still the far better pro prospect between these two. AHL production from a banger in his first year pro at 19? Reign it in.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think McGinn will be fine. Seems like a slightly lesser version of his brother in Colorado good for 20-30 pts and a pest to play against.

Tolchinsky is more intriguing to me as a boom or bust prospect. He has the potential to be every bit as good as Tyler Johnson. He could just as easily fail to transition to the more physical, bigger AHL/NHL and fizzle out. Either way it will take another 2-4 years to pan out.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If you bought hf hype that's your own problem. Mcginn is still the far better pro prospect between these two. AHL production from a banger in his first year pro at 19? Reign it in.

Don't disagree, but he is 21 not 19.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I'm very excited about our prospects on the back end.

Fleury/Faulk/McKeown/Murphy/Carrick/Pesce/Slavin is some serious young blue line depth.

We definitely need to focus heavily on forwards in this draft.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I still always say BPA. You can trade from a position of depth at any time. If you're in a coin flip situation though, tie has to go to the forward no doubt.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

I did buy into the hype a bit, so did management, and did the media. I don't think I am wrong, but wasn't he one of the last players cut from training camp? Peter's spoke a lot of praise about him during training camp saying "This is the type of player we need on our team". Countless websites had him as one of our top 3 prospects. And NHL.com even had him as our top prospect haha.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=727266

For our supposed "top prospect" I'd expect a little bit better production than the 12 goals, 11 assists, and +\- of -18 in 63 games. I'm still holding a lot of hope for Mcginn, I do understand this is his first pro season, and think he can still develop into a very nice player.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Some guys have a style of play that translates more directly from the CHL to the AHL to the NHL and Brock is one of those guys. I said the same thing about Rask during his time with the Hitmen of the WHL.

McGinn's 20-30 points in the AHL may translate directly to 20-30 points in the NHL. Meanwhile a guy like Boychuk can put up a ppg in the AHL but it doesn't translate whatsoever to the NHL.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
I'm very hopeful for the little Russian Sergey! I hope he can figure out how to play with the big boys given his small stature. I feel like he is the diamond in the rough! Great skills! I would think he finishes out as a second line forward.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I did buy into the hype a bit, so did management, and did the media. I don't think I am wrong, but wasn't he one of the last players cut from training camp? Peter's spoke a lot of praise about him during training camp saying "This is the type of player we need on our team". Countless websites had him as one of our top 3 prospects. And NHL.com even had him as our top prospect haha.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=727266

For our supposed "top prospect" I'd expect a little bit better production than the 12 goals, 11 assists, and +\- of -18 in 63 games. I'm still holding a lot of hope for Mcginn, I do understand this is his first pro season, and think he can still develop into a very nice player.

We like him for his grit, physical style and do anything to win approach. I don't think he was ever hyped as the biggest scorer, I think as he developed that side in junior there became hope he show that side of the game too. He reminds me of Kevin Dineen. Lots of in your face and enough offense to chip in.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
We like him for his grit, physical style and do anything to win approach. I don't think he was ever hyped as the biggest scorer, I think as he developed that side in junior there became hope he show that side of the game too. He reminds me of Kevin Dineen. Lots of in your face and enough offense to chip in.

I was actually going to ask about that and his grittiness. Sounds like you've seen him play a bit in the AHL this year? So has his physical game shown and translated into the AHL for him? If so that is good to hear.

Side note: I wish the Canes would do those prospect updates again on players like they used to back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad