Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Info and Discussion - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I haven't seen enough this year to say where he's at, honestly. Just enough to see he's gonna play his style, and if the offense is going to come in time it comes. I just don't think the canes are looking at him as a scorer. He had a slump for awhile this year. The rookie pro year is just an unfair thing to judge a kid on. Rask wasn't racking up huge pts last year, and he's had a pretty solid year for the canes. I expected maybe a 40-50 pt season for him in Charlotte.

This team has created a concept for fans that if any kid is gonna have success it's gonna be immediate. McGinn is developing on a more normal track, and it looks like we are trying for a more normal growth rate with RF. This is good thing. Wish they could send Lindy down sometimes.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I've watched some Charlotte games this year. McGinn seems to have played better than the numbers would indicate when I've watched. He creates a lot of chances, and hopefully he will eventually cash in on them. He does still seem like a pest to play against. It's still not impossible his offensive side will improve from a results standpoint, but I think his numbers in his last junior season were just a factor of being older and on a really good team. Likewise, Charlotte has been awful and has trouble scoring quite a bit this year. Also prone to getting blown out. So I think his numbers are fine. I agree with the sentiment that the numbers he has in the AHL are probably closer to directly translatable to the NHL than the average prospect given his style. If he was going to make the Canes, it would have been as an energy guy that can chip in a little bit, and he's still on that trajectory if they find themselves in need of that next year.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I've watched some Charlotte games this year. McGinn seems to have played better than the numbers would indicate when I've watched. He creates a lot of chances, and hopefully he will eventually cash in on them. He does still seem like a pest to play against. It's still not impossible his offensive side will improve from a results standpoint, but I think his numbers in his last junior season were just a factor of being older and on a really good team. Likewise, Charlotte has been awful and has trouble scoring quite a bit this year. Also prone to getting blown out. So I think his numbers are fine. I agree with the sentiment that the numbers he has in the AHL are probably closer to directly translatable to the NHL than the average prospect given his style. If he was going to make the Canes, it would have been as an energy guy that can chip in a little bit, and he's still on that trajectory if they find themselves in need of that next year.

Thanks for the insight!

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Glad he signed. NCAA guys make me a bit nervous with the current loophole allowing them to become FA.

It is about to happen twice to Chicago in the course of a year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Glad he signed. NCAA guys make me a bit nervous with the current loophole allowing them to become FA.

It is about to happen twice to Chicago in the course of a year.

Unless there's someone else the Hawks got their Vermont guy under contract after some posturing from his agent that he'd go UFA. Had to do what we did with Welsh to make it happen though, get him NHL time this year to guarantee that this counts as a year off his ELC.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Unless there's someone else the Hawks got their Vermont guy under contract after some posturing from his agent that he'd go UFA. Had to do what we did with Welsh to make it happen though, get him NHL time this year to guarantee that this counts as a year off his ELC.

Ah ok. Just saw the article a few days ago that it was imminent.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Sweden is going to play two games against Slovakia 2nd april and 4th april. Lucas Wallmark is with the team in those two games. The youngest in the team.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Ned signed to a 3 year ELC, per the Canes app

He'll report to the Checkers for the remainder of the season.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
They won the first with 4-3. Wallmark with two assist.

Being that Wallmark is a year older than other 2014 draftees, when should we look for him to come to NA? He's obviously not as old as someone like Arvidsson who was passed up multiple times and is playing here now, it's just hard to tell when they'd come over. I'd probably want him to play one more year in Sweden but I feel that he could play solidly in Charlotte like, now.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Being that Wallmark is a year older than other 2014 draftees, when should we look for him to come to NA? He's obviously not as old as someone like Arvidsson who was passed up multiple times and is playing here now, it's just hard to tell when they'd come over. I'd probably want him to play one more year in Sweden but I feel that he could play solidly in Charlotte like, now.

He signed a new contract with Luleå a couple of days ago, and I think it's good for him to play another year in Sweden. He will probably get a little bigger role. After next season, he moves to NA (probably).

Last edited:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Let's hope he signs. The franchise has not recovered from when Gregory The Hoff Man refused to sign.

2011 NHL Draft - Gregory Hoffman
2012 - No playoffs
2013 - No playoffs
2014 - No playoffs
2015 - No playoffs

Coincidence?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not surprising, he had a strong back half of the season but didn't really meet what his standard that he set last year was. We still have 2 more years to get this done.

Whether or not we get Ganly and/or Pedersen under contract is my question now.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Not surprising, he had a strong back half of the season but didn't really meet what his standard that he set last year was. We still have 2 more years to get this done.

Whether or not we get Ganly and/or Pedersen under contract is my question now.

Or whether or not we should....I'd say yes as I think both have "bubble" player potential, but I'm scared of Jeff Daniels led development. Or maybe I'm just being harsh.

I do think that Ganly would make a serviceable AHLer and will have to see what he could work his way into. Pedersen is a bit of an enigma....NHL size, has shown skills in the past, but has not seemingly found the formula to put it all together.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ganly has another Bellemore type prospect written all over him IMHO. At the very least that's something real nice to have from a depth standpoint even if he doesn't ever become an NHL top 4 dman.

Pedersen will be interesting to watch for me if we do sign him. He didn't score a lot in juniors but if he dedicates his game to it he has the frame to be a nice bottom six type. Most likely though he'll just be AHL depth which honestly I'd be OK with as well.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Pedersen will be interesting to watch for me if we do sign him. He didn't score a lot in juniors but if he dedicates his game to it he has the frame to be a nice bottom six type. Most likely though he'll just be AHL depth which honestly I'd be OK with as well.

i on the other hand would not be okay with him being ahl depth.

we drafted him to be a top six forward and that's what he better pan out as.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Meh, we spent a 5th on him. I'm not going to lose sleep over a guy that we drafted that late thinking the upside could be there for him to be a middle 6er turning out to be another say Ryan Bayda instead.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Meh, we spent a 5th on him. I'm not going to lose sleep over a guy that we drafted that late thinking the upside could be there for him to be a middle 6er turning out to be another say Ryan Bayda instead.

And for me I'd rather have the Checkers lose with guys we drafted and are at least attempting to develop. While Char might be a feel good story in Charlotte, I'd much rather use his slot on a kid we're hoping to develop. Same with Hagel, Holmstrom, and to a lesser extent Sandlak. So sign these guys and get them in the rotation. If we're gonna suck in Charlotte, let's suck with our homegrown guys....my two cents...

Oh, and yes, I realize it is a business and the Checkers are trying to ice a winning team, but come on, how much better are these guys than some of our young options. I agree with Dave as I'd like to get 'em on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad