Hurricanes Off Season Thread: When Tlusty doesn't score 40, who will be to blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Gonna be interesting to see how much playing time Lindholm and Rask get together. They could help each other make the team if the chemistry is there.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Some info on Boychuk:

Paul Branecky ‏@PaulBranecky
Rutherford on Boychuk: "It’s really up to Zach. He’s disappointed with the way things have gone and expected to be in the NHL by now (1/2)"

Paul Branecky ‏@PaulBranecky
Rutherford on Boychuk: "We’d like to re-sign him, but so far he hasn’t accepted so I’m not sure where that’s at (2/2)"

So I'm gonna guess they're stuck on a 1-way vs. 2-way. Not sure how Boychuk can really make an argument for anything more than a 1 year, 2-way deal at this point. He should be thankful that a team actually wants something to do with him.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He was ppg game player last season in the AHL, and is still south of 25. Did you just say retire? You must be kidding. Maybe looking for a better opportunity with another team or Europe.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'd let him find his offer sheet if he wants to play hard ball. Like I said, he's welcome to try Europe. At this point, he would probably progress better over there anyways. Let him pull a Bud Holloway and boost his own stock and we can evaluate him next season. But he should probably know he's walking away from a wide open door if he leaves here. He's not going to find another NHL team with a more accessible bottom six.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He was ppg game player last season in the AHL, and is still south of 25. Did you just say retire? You must be kidding. Maybe looking for a better opportunity with another team or Europe.

I really think a year in the SEL or FEL would do wonders for his game. I would say the KHL but there's a good chance he'd get buried there. He has little to prove in the AHL, but doesn't have the skillset to stick on a 3rd line in the NHL. So either he can go overseas and hopefully develop his game into a guy that can stick in a top 6, or go back to the AHL and keep bouncing around because he's not producing with the 9 minutes a night he's getting from us.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm just going to guess the NHL is going to expand by two teams in the future and go to 8 4 team divisions like the NFL. The current alignment just makes no sense to me. Could have just brought Columbus to our division.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Based on Muller's little Q&A session with Forslund and the fans, it REALLY seems like McGinn is starting off on the right foot with Muller. He's brought him up three times without being prompted to.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm just going to guess the NHL is going to expand by two teams in the future and go to 8 4 team divisions like the NFL. The current alignment just makes no sense to me. Could have just brought Columbus to our division.

It's all because Detroit wanted to move into the east. And I do like the divisional playoff setup, but you really do need 32 team for it to work, and I'm not really thrilled about expansion. Seattle and Kansas City would be my guess for new teams. I don't see how Quebec is getting a team, unless they want to completely redo this alignment in a couple years, and send someone else out west.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, that's an appropriate response.

On another note, the new HF division alignment looks like a total cluster**** with 8 teams in each division of the east.

I didn't even notice the new setup until you mentioned it. Carolina remained on top, so it was like nothing changed.

And as much as the board loves to **** on LaRose, at least he's going out with the respect of the coach. Kind of squashes that rumored rift between them.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Based on Muller's little Q&A session with Forslund and the fans, it REALLY seems like McGinn is starting off on the right foot with Muller. He's brought him up three times without being prompted to.

Great to hear! Maybe spending a 2nd round pick on the kid wasn't a reach after all.

After Karlsson, Rask, McGinn, Pedersen, Pesce, Carrick, Lowe, etc. I'm really beginning to warm up to Tony MacDonald's drafting acumen post round 1. Maybe these picks we toss away are worth more than many people think.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Brock wasn't ever a bad pick despite what a lot of folks around here were saying at the time. He was overdrafted, but when you see a player that brings what he brings it's not hard to see why scouting services disliked him but also why that doesn't matter. If you're on the smaller side and physical you don't get nearly as much credit for it as you would if you were a few inches taller. If McGinn was 6-1 instead of 5-11 he would have been a no doubt second round pick. But as Luke mentioned on twitter, he hits like a truck. So much of hitting hard has less to do with being bigger and so much more to do with the willingness to do it and the disregard for the pain of throwing them. What people don't often realize is that it hurts just as much to throw a hit most of the time as it does to take one. Not all players are willing to come into hits at full speed, and McGinn has that trait that can't be taught.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Exactly. You don't have to be huge to be a big hitter. Nobody would ever believe these guys to be as small as they were based on the way they hit: Tie Domi, Darcy Tucker, Mike Peca, Doug Gilmour, Darius Kasparaitis, Chris Chelios. You don't have to be huge to hit like a truck, you just have to play balls out. If McGinn is willing to do just that he'll be an effective player, he has a lot more skill then your typical grinder but he can be effective in that role as well.

Last edited:

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
I've been critical of the overdrafting of McGinn but agree that size isn't the end-all.

Kamarov was one of the nastiest hitters in the league last year at 5'10"

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
It's all because Detroit wanted to move into the east. And I do like the divisional playoff setup, but you really do need 32 team for it to work, and I'm not really thrilled about expansion. Seattle and Kansas City would be my guess for new teams. I don't see how Quebec is getting a team, unless they want to completely redo this alignment in a couple years, and send someone else out west.

I agree with you 100%, but can you imagine the media circus and all the "Bettman hates Canada" talk if//when Seattle and KC get teams ahead of Quebec.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I never understood the hate for the McGinnis pick. This guys gets a lot of praise wherever he goes. His coaches love him, and he has a some skill too. This is how Kevin Dineen was. Smaller but strong and fiesty. If he is anything like his brother here in Colorado, we're good with this pick. I don't care if he lacks size, he is high in areas we will always need more of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad