Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes @ Maple Leafs | We're Facing a "C" Team.. We Good | SNO 730PM

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Everybody seems to be talking about Kadri tonight, my two cents is that we're going to keep him, under Babcock the dudes game has come along immensely, and he's still putting up points, given better talent I see him doing really well.

The cool part of this whole situation I find is that he doesn't have his points to go to in contract negotiations, this was his "show me" year and he has played great but hasn't produced statistically as much as he could have, the leafs can use this to their advantage and sign him to a nice long term deal maybe 5-7 years around 5 million a year, and I would be ecstatic about this.

He's the kind of guy you win with in the playoffs, he played great against Boston, he hits, gets in peoples faces and he produces, I really see no other choice but to resign him, we're just going to end up looking for someone like him anyways.

Over the past years I've noticed quite a few times, Kadri would be wide open with his stick raised ready for a one timer and the puck never seems to get to him. You'd almost think the guys just ignored him.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Young guys are playing well. Some mistakes (Leivo passing into Percy's feet giveaway, Percy standing still) but overall they looked good, and they aren't even our "A" prospects. That was a big game in helping securing Pittsburghs first this draft, I think there are some things Hunter and Lou could do with that this year that might not be available to them next year.

I am starting to think Edmonton won't win another game this year. :shakehead

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Young guys are playing well. Some mistakes (Leivo passing into Percy's feet giveaway, Percy standing still) but overall they looked good, and they aren't even our "A" prospects. That was a big game in helping securing Pittsburghs first this draft, I think there are some things Hunter and Lou could do with that this year that might not be available to them next year.

I resigned myself to that fact, weeks ago.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

Yeah, I'm liking what I've seen from the young guys.

Leivo needs to improve in his own end a bit more, but once he's in the neutral zone and in the offensive zone, he's money.

Not sure what Percy could do in that situation. He should be standing there for the 2nd pass out of the zone, but it was just a terrible 1st pass by Leivo. He'll learn and that's what the last 20 games are for. Realize that you can't be doing that.

Even with the young defence, they looked pretty decent. I don't remember a lot of grade A opportunities that they gave up.

Most of them are using the techniques of boxing out with basically a lacrosse technique. Where the stick is parallel with the ice and you're essentially boxing out the other forwards from getting close to the net. Loov does that the best out of the young guys that I've seen.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Percy with a rookie giveaway there

Listening to ?Millen? go on and on about Grabner's giveaway at the blueline when Leivo took the hooking penalty.

#50?

So transparent.

When you want to pile on some guy make sure you're at least close to being accurate.

He has his favorites and gets careless when he gets a chance to bash a guy.

Percy has work to do, same thing that happened last time he was up with the team, his decision making is a little slow against NHL players and once they get on him he has trouble.

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
I wasn't impressed with Eric Staal jumping in on Kadri. I get that Jordan is his brother, but really, Kadri didn't start it and it's safe to say it was a mutual disagreement. And it's not like it was Rich Clune or Colton Orr trying to scrap. I thought that was pretty lame by Eric. Good for Reilly and others jumping in there too. And I'm sure we all remember last year when Eric took the big slapper at the empty net with Dion in the way.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Just Eric trying to stay relevant. Wouldn't even have noticed him last night if not for that incident and taking a dumb penalty. If not for his name, he'd be getting about the same trade value as PAP.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I wasn't impressed with Eric Staal jumping in on Kadri. I get that Jordan is his brother, but really, Kadri didn't start it and it's safe to say it was a mutual disagreement. And it's not like it was Rich Clune or Colton Orr trying to scrap. I thought that was pretty lame by Eric. Good for Reilly and others jumping in there too. And I'm sure we all remember last year when Eric took the big slapper at the empty net with Dion in the way.

Just Eric trying to stay relevant. Wouldn't even have noticed him last night if not for that incident and taking a dumb penalty. If not for his name, he'd be getting about the same trade value as PAP.

They had 30 shots, but never seemed to threaten.

Did anyone look good for the 'Canes?

Was this pre Deadline Day choke?

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
24 points in his last 31 games... not bad considering he doesn't have any star linemates.

Grabner has gone 21 games without getting a point. He can't hit the net, he can't make a pass. When he's on the ice in the O-zone, the Leafs are pretty much playing shorthanded.

Since Grabner stopped scoring, Kadri has 12 points in 19 games (52 point pace over a season).

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Carolina seemed to want a piece of Kadri even at the end of the game. I get that you sometimes want to rush in when a teammate get decked, even after a clean hit. Still going at it 30 minutes later feels ridiculous though, at least to me.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Grabner has gone 21 games without getting a point. He can't hit the net, he can't make a pass. When he's on the ice in the O-zone, the Leafs are pretty much playing shorthanded.

Since Grabner stopped scoring, Kadri has 12 points in 19 games (52 point pace over a season).

Kadri needs a finisher on his line, 4 goals in 20 games works out to 16 goal pace over a season, which is what his pace is.

Boedker is UFA this summer, has wheels and size. He isn't a pure scorer, but he will open up space and is still young.
Boedker-Kadri-van Riemsdyk on the first line would support those youngsters lower in the line-up.

Can't run a team on prospects, and unless you are moving Kadri and van Riemsdyk, you need some support for the kids coming over over the next 3-4 years.

This won't be an Oilers where the kids are going to have too much pressure put on them.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

I watched the Edmonton L.A game. It was a good game. L.A poured it on in the third like they do to many teams. Edmonton couldn't match it is all. They tried hard though.

I seen taylor Hall making returns to the bench the way Kessel used to with no rush to do so. Yakupov looked good and caused L.A fits with his speed.

Pretty good game though by the Oil.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Carolina seemed to want a piece of Kadri even at the end of the game. I get that you sometimes want to rush in when a teammate get decked, even after a clean hit. Still going at it 30 minutes later feels ridiculous though, at least to me.

There's probably more than just this game going on with Kadri.

I'd guess around the league he isn't the most loved player, think Burrows and Marchand.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

That used to be one of the Staal's going after Phaneuf every time we met.
Nice to see Kadri keeping the tradition alive. Also between Kadri and Phaneuf, the hits have never been dirty.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
That used to be one of the Staal's going after Phaneuf every time we met.
Nice to see Kadri keeping the tradition alive. Also between Kadri and Phaneuf, the hits have never been dirty.

The Staals are babies. We've seen this plenty and they were probably embarrassed losing in their home province to an AHL team. A team they're used to having their way with.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
There's probably more than just this game going on with Kadri.

I'd guess around the league he isn't the most loved player, think Burrows and Marchand.

6' 3" tall and 200 pounds didn't look that big when Kadri tagged him. The Staals are morons and i hope Kadri fills them in good when the opportunity arises.

Kadri is a fierce little ...... !

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
How were Loov and Percy last nite?

I know loov had a assist. Percy looked tentative at times. They were good though on the overall. Loov is solid defensively.

Percy played 14 minutes and change.Loov played 9 and looked better. I think they are showcasing Percy but thats just my take.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
How were Loov and Percy last nite?

Loov was quiet and steady. He's been solid since being called up and is looking good as an NHLer. Also had an assist.

Percy was OK but had two bad giveaways that almost led to goals (one led to a penalty).

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Also Komarov deserves to win now. We are not going to win any time soon.

I never want to see Komarov out of a Leafs sweater.

Buuut, if he can go to a team where he has a chance of actually winning something and can somehow solve our lack of blue-chip prospects in net or defense, I'd have to agree with moving him I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad