Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes @ Maple Leafs | We're Facing a "C" Team.. We Good | SNO 730PM

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Carolina is garbage. 2 more useless points

Leivo is a stud
Bernier and pap increased their trade value

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I hope JVR and Komarov stick around as well.

Komarov has to stay. The Leafs need players like him.

I'm up and down in regards to JVR. The minute you trade him, you're looking to pick up a guy just like him.

On the other hand, with his contract and specific "skills", he may be a key trading chip to getting a real valuable piece.

I guess management will have to decide if he's in their future, if not, trade him ASAP for maximum value.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
My position is that you don't trade him at the trade deadline. It's a dumb move and makes little sense.

After the draft, you see what you have, who you want to sign and what Kadri wants and you take it from there.

Let's face it, Matthews is a pipe dream. It's not really a realistic situation. Management knows that, unless they are planning a trade for the first pick, which isn't likely.

It's not totally absurd to say they will sign Stamkos and if they do, there is no reason Kadri can't stay.

The way he's playing- with heart and determination, how can you let him go. He's been like this all year but unfortunately, people are obsessed with points. It gets ridiculous and it's the only real argument against him. The guy is 25 and by the start of next season will be 26-entering his prime.

How long did it take Steen to break-out? 10 years? Now he's in the conversation for the Selke Trophy.

I'm just thankful that this management team knows what they are doing.

To be honest, I think Kadri should be part of the nucleus of the team moving forward even if we land Matthews and/or Stamkos. Bozak should be the odd man out.

It's not as if Nylander and Marner are going to be ready to take the reins in the next couple of years. They will need at least 2-3 years in the NHL before they are ready to assume front line roles.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Reilly and kadri are becoming the heart of this team. Really hope they can become leaders for the young guys.

Leivo my homie, never stopped believing, hes a beauty sniper.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I hope JVR and Komarov stick around as well.

Komorov yes JVR however. Talent & ability is there most definitely to keep around but for me the lack of gumption in his game irritates me. We talk about playing the right way JVR just doesn't do it for me and these past 3 years as a Leaf I certainly understand why Philly traded him.

If we take in at what this regime talks & preaches there's a characteristic that doesn't get talked about much around here mainly do to many just don't know what it is and often misconstrue it as grit, or heart & character. Gumption is very big on this brass. They want players that don't settle, that have a drive to be better no matter how good they are... Everything that Babcock preaches fro being a good man, eat right, train right be good at nights (The Kadri faux pas ;)) compete, play right etc. is all about drilling into the players heads that without gumption there's no success to come by overtime as you will fade faster than a James Reimer hot streak. :innocent:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I didn't say it would happen at the draft. It may be off-season. they're waiting for the best package. It may not be Monday for Kadri.

So it may or may not be at the draft.

And it may be off-season (meaning also it may not).

And it may not be Monday.

And of course, you didn't specify which draft, which off-season and which Monday so ... :laugh:

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I can say that if we trade Kadri it would be only for a big over payment....he is going no where. Huge hit and stands up for him self and Rielly the protector came in and helped him.

Our future core looks good tonight again. Gardiner, Rielly and Kadri...

Its crazy people just base Kadri on points, still.

1. He is playing with garbage... as he did in the 2nd half of last year
2. He is finally an above average faceoff guy
3. His defensive play has grown immensely
4. He lays out big hits
5. He remains the best drawer of penalties in the NHL
6. And despite his "offensive stagnation" he remains one of the top 40 centers in points in the NHL

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Its crazy people just base Kadri on points, still.

1. He is playing with garbage... as he did in the 2nd half of last year
2. He is finally an above average faceoff guy
3. His defensive play has grown immensely
4. He lays out big hits
5. He remains the best drawer of penalties in the NHL
6. And despite his "offensive stagnation" he remains one of the top 40 centers in points in the NHL

24 points in his last 31 games... not bad considering he doesn't have any star linemates.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I "think" I was the first one here to say that Kadri was not injured, he was sat down. Purely a "thought" of course.

So yeah, I "think" management are wary of Kadri. But there is something about this guy, something competitive, and I he is still young enough. I dunno, I think he has grown up a lot, and I think he competes hard. Well I don't think that, he does.

I also think Babcock has reached this guy. Still, Shanahan wants a certain type of player and Nazem might not be the guy. I don't know that. I do "think" Shanahan was mortally offended about the throat slash though.

I "think" that as incredibly silent as he has been versus last year, Shanahan carries the huge stick in this organization.

We never hear about him, but this guy I "think" is seen by MLSE, as being a guy who can do what they did to get to where they are in life. Make tons of money for the MLSE brand and bring lots of contention to the MLSE brand over the next few years.

If Shanahan wants a guy gone, I think he goes pretty fast. A la Kessel.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Everybody seems to be talking about Kadri tonight, my two cents is that we're going to keep him, under Babcock the dudes game has come along immensely, and he's still putting up points, given better talent I see him doing really well.

The cool part of this whole situation I find is that he doesn't have his points to go to in contract negotiations, this was his "show me" year and he has played great but hasn't produced statistically as much as he could have, the leafs can use this to their advantage and sign him to a nice long term deal maybe 5-7 years around 5 million a year, and I would be ecstatic about this.

He's the kind of guy you win with in the playoffs, he played great against Boston, he hits, gets in peoples faces and he produces, I really see no other choice but to resign him, we're just going to end up looking for someone like him anyways.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
So if Kadri or anyone else dear to our hearts goes, I think the executioner, Lou, gets to do the job in the most practised and expedient way.

I don't know the Leafs as well as I used to. But if Kadri and Gardiner go, its not because of the package coming back, its because of a MLSE upper tier feeling about them. Same for Reimer.

Just a "thought" though.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I "think" I was the first one here to say that Kadri was not injured, he was sat down. Purely a "thought" of course.

So yeah, I "think" management are wary of Kadri. But there is something about this guy, something competitive, and I he is still young enough. I dunno, I think he has grown up a lot, and I think he competes hard. Well I don't think that, he does.

I also think Babcock has reached this guy. Still, Shanahan wants a certain type of player and Nazem might not be the guy. I don't know that. I do "think" Shanahan was mortally offended about the throat slash though.

I "think" that as incredibly silent as he has been versus last year, Shanahan carries the huge stick in this organization.

We never hear about him, but this guy I "think" is seen by MLSE, as being a guy who can do what they did to get to where they are in life. Make tons of money for the MLSE brand and bring lots of contention to the MLSE brand over the next few years.

If Shanahan wants a guy gone, I think he goes pretty fast. A la Kessel.

Dude he missed practice and was seen limping after the game with the "gesture". Give it a rest, you have 0 evidence to back up your opinion.

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
To be honest, I think Kadri should be part of the nucleus of the team moving forward even if we land Matthews and/or Stamkos. Bozak should be the odd man out.

It's not as if Nylander and Marner are going to be ready to take the reins in the next couple of years. They will need at least 2-3 years in the NHL before they are ready to assume front line roles.
Finally common sense prevails, damn right you keep Kadri around for those exact reasons

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
van Reimsdyk - Nylander - Laine
Komarov - Kadri - Marner

Would be glorious

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So if Kadri or anyone else dear to our hearts goes, I think the executioner, Lou, gets to do the job in the most practised and expedient way.

I don't know the Leafs as well as I used to. But if Kadri and Gardiner go, its not because of the package coming back, its because of a MLSE upper tier feeling about them. Same for Reimer.

Just a "thought" though.
I know that went on in the old days, but I wonder how that would go over now? I think it might tend to piss a lot of the wrong people off. Even the suits must be able to recognize by now the Leafs' management team knows what its doing. I sure as hell hope so, anyway. I also think winning organizations tend to develop and keep their good players, which would certainly include Gardiner and Kadri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad