Hurricanes Lounge XXXII: wait, but why?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Eddie Van Halen. Gone at 65 from cancer.

2020....your name is mud.

I’ve been playing guitar and hockey since I was five, and the teenage years were all obsessed with him. Few people in music truly create something even close to original, and he was one of them. Rip.

Holy shit. I didn't know this til now. Unbelievable.

Reactions: bleedgreen

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Anybody letting their kids Trick or Treat this year? We haven't seen a consensus in our neighborhood yet, although I know North Hills is going to be like 50/50. I figure if they kids wear masks it should be no more risky than going to the McDonalds drive thru, which apparently everyone is cool with.

I'm going to leave bowls of candy on the porch and hope kids are reasonable this unlike the animalistic way they treat that scenario in a normal year.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Anybody letting their kids Trick or Treat this year? We haven't seen a consensus in our neighborhood yet, although I know North Hills is going to be like 50/50. I figure if they kids wear masks it should be no more risky than going to the McDonalds drive thru, which apparently everyone is cool with.

I'm going to leave bowls of candy on the porch and hope kids are reasonable this unlike the animalistic way they treat that scenario in a normal year.
Ours are old enough that they don't do it anymore. We haven't decided if we are going to give candy out or not yet. My wife wants to but I'm leaning the other way.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

Yes

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I don't think I put on a jacket until, Thanksgiving maybe? Even after Halloween last year it was still pretty warm most days. At least so far I've been wearing them early in the morning.

I remember Halloween itself being nearly unbearable, 85 and humid, we had a block party and trick or treating and the kids were all sweaty in the costumes, by far the hottest ever. Then again one year I drug them around in a wagon when it was 38 degrees and pouring rain. Good thing they were in fuzzy hedgehog costumes that night.

Looks like we'll actually have a fall this year. Headed out to Brevard for a week.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Don’t jinx us! A real fall in NC has to be some of the nicest weather around and I am here for it.
So gorgeous at Grandfather Mountain today. Foliage is stellar.

And, the Old Hampton Store, along with their delicious eats, also has an Apple Butter Margarita. Perfect spot for post-hike outdoor dining.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017

And, the Old Hampton Store, along with their delicious eats, also has an Apple Butter Margarita. Perfect spot for post-hike outdoor dining.

I'm jealous. We usually make it out that way around this time every year but aren't this year due to the pandemic. I could use some crisp mountain air right now....

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Durham mayor strongly discouraged, which made the decision for us. Tough decision because Halloween is our Super Bowl. We'll basically put up the decorations, sit in our driveway in our costumes, and wave. And drink.

The McDonald's analogy is almost right, except for the kid backlog. At 7pm on a busy night, we can have 50 kids/parents in our driveway at one time.

Also, we have literally no idea how much candy we should have bought. It's tough to forecast even in a normal year, where we can see anywhere between 250 and 450 kids... but this year? Impossible.

And we live on a cul de sac. Houses on Club Boulevard can see 1500-2000 kids in a night. It's insanity.

Last edited:

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Durham mayor strongly discouraged, which made the decision for us. Tough decision because Halloween is our Super Bowl. We'll basically put up the decorations, sit in our driveway in our costumes, and wave. And drink.

The McDonald's analogy is almost right, except for the kid backlog. At 7pm on a busy night, we can have 50 kids/parents in our driveway at one time.

Also, we have literally no idea how much candy we should have bought. It's tough to forecast even in a normal year, where we can see anywhere between 250 and 450 kids... but this year? Impossible.

And we live on a cul de sac. Houses on Club Boulevard can see 1500-2000 kids in a night. It's insanity.

Oh, wow, that's a lot of kids. I guess when you put it that way its not a good idea. In North Hills its not much of a crowd, never a line to get in to any houses. Even Aho's house, who was handing out candy last year.

My kids know they have to wear masks, we'll probably poke around the new neighborhood and see whats going on, and go to the places with lights on and keep our distance.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

I'm headed to a house overlooking a waterfall just SW of Brevard tomorrow. Taking a whole week vacation for the first time in a while. Going white water rafting and apparently walking llamas along mountain trails, lol. My girls are excited. Glad to hear the foliage is good to go.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I'm headed to a house overlooking a waterfall just SW of Brevard tomorrow. Taking a whole week vacation for the first time in a while. Going white water rafting and apparently walking llamas along mountain trails, lol. My girls are excited. Glad to hear the foliage is good to go.
Hope you have a great visit..lovely area and waterfalls aplenty.

A Forest Ranger friend told me last night that the foliage is trending almost 3 weeks ahead of schedule. He also said that 2020 attendance at State Parks has increased well over 100% from last year's numbers. Accordingly, the help calls they're are receiving are wild and unusual..mostly from newbies who've never visited before.

Reactions: Unsustainable

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
He also said that 2020 attendance at State Parks has increased well over 100% from last year's numbers.

Think the National Parks are similar—in Acadia for a long weekend and the crowds are much larger than I have seen in 3 previous trips (though never doing foliage frenzy).
Anyway, the weather has been nearly perfect for hiking as it is cool in the morning when we go and mild by afternoon for dinner in Bar Harbor.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Think the National Parks are similar—in Acadia for a long weekend and the crowds are much larger than I have seen in 3 previous trips (though never doing foliage frenzy).
Anyway, the weather has been nearly perfect for hiking as it is cool in the morning when we go and mild by afternoon for dinner in Bar Harbor.

And it's into the 70s today here in central Maine. Hope it's nice at the Hahbah.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

wife and I just drove up to The Finger Lakes region of NY and couldn’t believe how packed various campgrounds were. I know it’s both leaf peeping and grape harvest timeframe, but I rarely see these campgrounds that packed, except probably the 4th and Labor Day. I suspect that the pandemic is really helping their business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad