Hurricanes Lounge XXXI: The Self Quarantined Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Well, I do, but we haven't had ethnic or racial tensions since we drove out Germans after WW2. No hard feelings today. It's probably good to have this sort of mutually historic experience between everyone on the continent. Everyone going with and against each other.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Sounds like poor planning!
Well to show an example where proper scouting changed the history was the battle of Gaugamela where Alexander the Great's Macedonians noticed that the battlefield was cleared of vegetation and stones which implied the usage of scythed chariots.

So the Macedonians were ready and when chariots came charging they were greeted with a rain of javelins and well if you get hit by a speeding javelin on a speeding chariot the physics... stack against you.

Those who got through were easily avoided by the infantry which opened up its ranks.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I turned my rage into a hardcore, no-holds-barred house cleaning, declutter and semi-renovation. My wife and kids went to stay at her mom's house for a week; I rented a 30-foot rollout dumpster, tossed out all the junk and cleaned the house from top to bottom. I bet this house hasn't been this clean since it was built in 1932.
I kind of want to borrow you and piss you off so you'll rage clean my house...but I also get the feeling if i did that it'd be so clean there would literally be nothing left in my house...

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I kind of want to borrow you and piss you off so you'll rage clean my house...but I also get the feeling if i did that it'd be so clean there would literally be nothing left in my house...

To be fair, most people do not accumulate enough junk over 5-6 years to fill up 1400 cubic feet of dumpster. My wife has hoarding tendencies.

Reactions: DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
2 years into home ownership I still have 1.5 empty bedrooms in 1300 SQ ft house lol
Shit gets real when you’ve had kids for a decade or two...and then your parents start downsizing. We’ve got more furniture and paintings than walls to place them. Unlike Robo, my solution is more like to involve a pile in the back yard and some matches.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Shit gets real when you’ve had kids for a decade or two...and then your parents start downsizing. We’ve got more furniture and paintings than walls to place them.
Exactly. And while a walk up attic seemed like a great feature when we bought our prior home 16 years ago, it became a catch all. Particularly after my wife’s father passed away. When we downsized and moved this spring, it was 1 garage sale, 1 big truckload picked up by Habitat Restore, multiple pickup truck runs to the dump, ReStore and GCF, selling tons of stuff online, and a 15 yard dumpster for the rest. Granted, we moved to a house 1/2 the size with no attic space at all, no crawl space or basement either and minimal garage space. It was refreshing getting rid of all that stuff.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
glad to hear the election will be delayed this year as it would be unfair to vote during a pandemic
No one has learned anything yet? It’s been 3 1/2 years.

Tweet for reaction, get told “sir you actually can’t do that,” soft backpedal. Rinse, repeat.

Stop falling for it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Is it political if we ignore his political decisions and just discuss the end results of said decisions?

For instance, Americans are now banned from traveling to most countries in the world due to the rampant spread of disease in the US. This comes at a time when many Americans would probably be looking to travel (either for summer trips or other reasons...like pre-empting a bad result for a certain upcoming election). Is that too political to discuss?

Also, is discussing COVID (either here or in its respective thread) considered too political? Frankly, it’s maddening that it’s even considered a political issue in the first place (it’s a VIRUS. It doesn’t care if you lean left or right), but since it has become one, what’s the line we can’t cross in that regard?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Keep America in your thoughts and prayers...

...can't even use that line now

If Facebook has taught me anything, the virus is still around because there hasn't been enough thoughts and prayers.

Also, you should totally join this obvious-to-everyone-except-me-apparently-MLM-scheme.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Is it political if we ignore his political decisions and just discuss the end results of said decisions?

For instance, Americans are now banned from traveling to most countries in the world due to the rampant spread of disease in the US. This comes at a time when many Americans would probably be looking to travel (either for summer trips or other reasons...like pre-empting a bad result for a certain upcoming election). Is that too political to discuss?

Also, is discussing COVID (either here or in its respective thread) considered too political? Frankly, it’s maddening that it’s even considered a political issue in the first place (it’s a VIRUS. It doesn’t care if you lean left or right), but since it has become one, what’s the line we can’t cross in that regard?

It's hard to not discuss politics in a climate where the simple act of putting on a face mask in the midst of global pandemic as seen by many as a political statement.

Meanwhile, back home in Louisiana, there is literally not one single ICU bed available. I told my mom, just stay home and do not go anywhere, I will have food and necessities shipped and delivered to her.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't know. Blackhawks are banning using headdress from the fans. Brad Marchand has an opinion that a reporter is the problem when suggesting Tuukka Rask's headdress choice is a problem. Meanwhile, outside of the arenas, there are paramilitary folks without insignia allegedly doing thangs somewhere that is not Crimea.

I've been enough to the Politics board to know it's a cesspool, but... I really don't know if the blanket ban of politics-related matters really cuts it in times like these. It's coming just too close to sports to effectively pretend it's not there. Really feels like HF closing itself into a bubble with the returning circenses like Prince Prospero would try to seal himself into an abbey. Didn't work for him either.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
And then again, I don't know. NBC tapes a Rask interview with him wearing a Boston Police cap. Then the Boston hockey team releases a BLM supporting statement. After that NBC runs the (according to Rask) pre-taped interview, allegedly saying that it's live.

And this happens in a world where a Trump-supporting former NHL hockey player commentator is currently suing NBC for wrongful termination, and where Boston sports has a certain reputation.

An Athletic reporter posts a tweet:

Twitter frenzy ensues. The toxic hockey culture gets called out a plenty in retweets and replies, with vocal expectations on what the NHL should do now.

You can make plausible cases either way if this was an accident or if it was a deliberate move by NBC, the broadcasting partner of the NHL with the contract negotiations upcoming, and what were the true motivations behind it if it indeed was deliberate.

Could be nothing. Could be "Let's hint the sport is racist to make Fox Sports a bad optics choice for the NHL", if you subscribe to the bold "businesses are in it to profit" worldview.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad