Hurricanes Lounge XXXI: The Self Quarantined Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I’ll quote this here as to stop polluting the around the league thread.

Growing up in Rome must have been amazing. History was one of my favorite subjects in school and you have so much of it right there in front of you. Hell, your city has been around for 10x longer than thr United States have been a thing.

The fact that the Colosseum is still standing in the shape it is after two millennia blows my mind.
Well it could have been worse! It is a city that never ceases to amaze, sometimes when I am in the car at the traffic lights I notice things that I had never noticed before that have their own history. It is not a flat city, the ups and downs, the views, without mentioning the most famous monuments, each neighborhood has its history, its squares, its atmosphere. It is difficult for me to describe it because it is often more of a sensation. Thanks for the post, I invite everyone to write me for some advice in case of vacation!

Reactions: SvechneJerk

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I know it feels terrible, but no, not even close.

Joseph-Noël Sylvestre begs to differ on that.

337px-Sack_of_Rome_by_the_Visigoths_on_24_August_410_by_JN_Sylvestre_1890.jpg

Reactions: WreckingCrew

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Mmmmm that's not entirely true either but ok

On a Vengeful, but serious note, getting your news, while not getting into the downward spiral of uncontrolled disgust, contempt or hatred one might feel after seeing way too many stupid opinions, ideas and hot takes... is a really good thing.
As a big fan of what I call "productive rage", getting angry at things that are hard to change isn't doing anything helpful. Rage is good. It is a drive to change things for better or worse. But it needs direction.

During the hard quarantine when I started working the ability to do something that actually matters even a little helped me immensely in the sense that I stopped getting angry in an irrational way. I gained almost total control over my rage. It was beautiful.

Anger and hate with a clear mind and soul. Pristine.

Do things that change something. Vote, persuade other people to vote, tell people that the thing they posted is a freaking hoax and that they should look for sources, go to demonstrations, assassinate someone, go to the politics yourself.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
On a Vengeful, but serious note, getting your news, while not getting into the downward spiral of uncontrolled disgust, contempt or hatred one might feel after seeing way too many stupid opinions, ideas and hot takes... is a really good thing.
As a big fan of what I call "productive rage", getting angry at things that are hard to change isn't doing anything helpful. Rage is good. It is a drive to change things for better or worse. But it needs direction.

During the hard quarantine when I started working the ability to do something that actually matters even a little helped me immensely in the sense that I stopped getting angry in an irrational way. I gained almost total control over my rage. It was beautiful.

Anger and hate with a clear mind and soul. Pristine.

Do things that change something. Vote, persuade other people to vote, tell people that the thing they posted is a freaking hoax and that they should look for sources, go to demonstrations, assassinate someone, go to the politics yourself.

I turned my rage into a hardcore, no-holds-barred house cleaning, declutter and semi-renovation. My wife and kids went to stay at her mom's house for a week; I rented a 30-foot rollout dumpster, tossed out all the junk and cleaned the house from top to bottom. I bet this house hasn't been this clean since it was built in 1932.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't remember posing nude for a painting...
That's how it goes. You go to Moulin Rouge for one, your absinthe tastes a bit weird, you wake up three days later without knowledge that your likeness is now part of a Romaticist masterwork.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah the basis of my post was only the musement of the fact that the painting on an (maybe completely made-up) act
of icnoclasm has, for some reason, been chosen as the main image of the Sack of Rome 410 AD Wikipedia article.

But now to think of it, two trails of thoughts emerge.

1) Iconoclasm has the history as long as history. I think it'd be foolishness to try separate your specific instance from that tradition as "it is something else this time around". Merely pointing that out is not to merit or dismerit the motivations behind the current instance.

2) Yet it is possible that the tearing-down-a-statue picture has intentionally just now been put on the article by someone, as an act of subtle propaganda to liken the current issues to the barbarian hordes tearing down an empire back in 410 AD. And when you stop to think of that, it's scary what kind of subtle power the Wikipedia people field nowadays.

A case study: On the Finnish side of Wikipedia, under the subtitles of "the new iconoclasms", are listed three instances: Talibans 1996-2001, ISIS 2015 and Black Lives Matter 2020.

Ikonoklasmi – Wikipedia

Obviously this kind of association is not something you'd find on the English Wikipedia. There's probably a full edit war raging and people getting banned.

The thing is, the whole thing shows up differently for us on this side of the big water, because of history and culture is very different from the American one.

And yet in Finland for example some of our youngings have been really hard trying to find a colonialist statue somewhere around that they could tear down and feel like part of the movement. The usual vat of red paint "blood" on the Mannerheim statue in Tampere doesn't really do the trick for them.

Funny thing is, we do get teached in the school of the "cultural imperialism" originating from the United States that the stores for example have been capitalizing for a couple of decades by selling us more and more ghastly plastic trinkets at Halloween time every year. It's extremely hard to not to see BLM as a 100 percent imported cause and idea in places outside of US and the more important Trans-Atlantic slave trading countries.

edit: And then I go and read the news that a Boston Finn identified as Tuukka R has been wearing a Boston Police cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Herma - Wikipedia

English Wikipedia for some reason doesn't have a page for 415 BC incident where someone during the Peloponnesoan Wars vandalized the Herma sculptures, ensuing accusations of conspiracy against democracy, an unforeseen witch-hunt for the culprits and, obviously, political expediency against opponents.

Things change, but remain the same.

Last edited:

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Turn off the TV. Stay off social media. And everything is close to the same. It’ll be fine.

I wish you are correct but everything I've seen in a lifetime's involvement in human conflict tells me it won't. Most of the people out there on both sides right now are LARPers who have never been in an actual fistfight let alone gunfight except on Call of Duty who will piss themselves the first time they walk into an L-shaped ambush- but there are all kinds of serious folks waiting in the wings to strike. And when it jumps off for real it is going to make he Balkans circa 1992 look like a f***ing square dance.

The good news is Rome didn't fall in a day. Even after it got sacked, it still kept doing its thing for a while.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I wish you are correct but everything I've seen in a lifetime's involvement in human conflict tells me it won't. Most of the people out there on both sides right now are LARPers who have never been in an actual fistfight let alone gunfight except on Call of Duty who will piss themselves the first time they walk into an L-shaped ambush- but there are all kinds of serious folks waiting in the wings to strike. And when it jumps off for real it is going to make he Balkans circa 1992 look like a f***ing square dance.

The good news is Rome didn't fall in a day. Even after it got sacked, it still kept doing its thing for a while.

I guess you should divide the United States into two halves first so you get your Eastern Roman Empire.

On the notion of the L-shaped ambush, what are the standard countermeasures? Besides the obvious of avoiding it thanks to proper scouting.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I guess you should divide the United States into two halves first so you get your Eastern Roman Empire.

On the notion of the L-shaped ambush, what are the standard countermeasures? Besides the obvious of avoiding it thanks to proper scouting.
1. Hope you make it out (If you have an enemy better than LARPers you probably aren’t)
2. Return as much fire as you can while finding a hiding spot. Formulate a plan for number 3.
3. Break contact, if you can
4. Don’t pee yourself
5. Go back and get your battle buddies later

Reactions: sabremike and DaveG

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
1. Hope you make it out (If you have an enemy better than LARPers you probably aren’t)
2. Return as much fire as you can while finding a hiding spot. Formulate a plan for number 3.
3. Break contact, if you can
4. Don’t pee yourself
5. Go back and get your battle buddies later
Most likely you didn't mean number 4 literally, but one thing I know from my own field (and common sense) is that before any situation like this you should empty your bladder.

In general, none of these "guidelines" sounds surprising, but the obvious problem is to actually perform them. Especially without training or actual experience.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I propose dressing in layers with technical underwear that will transfer moisture from the skin layer to the outer ones.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I turned my rage into a hardcore, no-holds-barred house cleaning, declutter and semi-renovation. My wife and kids went to stay at her mom's house for a week; I rented a 30-foot rollout dumpster, tossed out all the junk and cleaned the house from top to bottom. I bet this house hasn't been this clean since it was built in 1932.
"I'll take 'Things you won't ever see me do because I'm angry' for $200 Alex."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad