OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIII: As Fun As Waterboarding

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I watched most of the OJ trial. While I think he killed Nicole, if I was on the jury, I would have found him not guilty as well. It was one of most poorly prosecuted cases that I can remember. Marcia Clark and Christopher Darden could not have made a poorer set of decisions throughout, highlighted by the infamous "if it doesn't fit, you must acquit" episode of having OJ try on the bloody glove.

Also, DNA evidence was in its early years and many just didn't understand it. The defense did a masterful job of obfuscation and inserting doubt.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I watched most of the OJ trial. While I think he killed Nicole, if I was on the jury, I would have found him not guilty as well. It was one of most poorly prosecuted cases that I can remember. Marcia Clark and Christopher Darden could not have made a poorer set of decisions throughout, highlighted by the infamous "if it doesn't fit, you must acquit" episode of having OJ try on the bloody glove.

Also, DNA evidence was in its early years and many just didn't understand it. The defense did a masterful job of obfuscation and inserting doubt.
It's why you don't get selected for juries. :sarcasm:

While I agree with you that Darden and Clark made bad decisions, I think there are a few other factors that lead OJ to be found innocent:

a) He had money to hire the best lawyers.

b) There were millions of people (and I suspect some of those were on the jury) that couldn't believe a hero like OJ could do something so evil. He was a football hero. He was a funny actor. He was the Hertz guy.

It's why Crosby got away with it for so long. No way Cliff Huxtable could be a bad guy.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I feel so seen especially on Friday lite work days. I am trying to decide upon my early retirement date but I have this fear that this will become my daily state of being.

IMG_8793.png

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It's why you don't get selected for juries. :sarcasm:

While I agree with you that Darden and Clark made bad decisions, I think there are a few other factors that lead OJ to be found innocent:

a) He had money to hire the best lawyers.

b) There were millions of people (and I suspect some of those were on the jury) that couldn't believe a hero like OJ could do something so evil. He was a football hero. He was a funny actor. He was the Hertz guy.

It's why Crosby got away with it for so long. No way Cliff Huxtable could be a bad guy.
Totally agree. All those factors came into play....as well as the theory of jury nullification. Still watching Barry Scheck eviscerate the crime lab guy and the DNA evidence....I'm not sure how significant doubt wouldn't creep in.....at least for me.

FYI - when I lived in Wilmington I did get called for jury duty and was selected to be on a jury....very gross underage rape trial. In the end the defendant changed his plea to guilty once he got a look at the jury.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Totally agree. All those factors came into play....as well as the theory of jury nullification. Still watching Barry Scheck eviscerate the crime lab guy and the DNA evidence....I'm not sure how significant doubt wouldn't creep in.....at least for me.

FYI - when I lived in Wilmington I did get called for jury duty and was selected to be on a jury....very gross underage rape trial. In the end the defendant changed his plea to guilty once he got a look at the jury.

I was on a jury for a drug trial here in Durham about a decade ago. We eventually acquitted the guy because the police department so f***ed up the chain of custody that we had no choice. We all believed he probably did it, but when the police officer who was "guarding" the evidence before the warrant was issued to search the bag could not be identified or found by the police during the trial, we couldn't convict the defendant and send him to prison for decades.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Thanks to whomever that is was that pointed out the I series bond and its high rates 18 months ago or so. I put in the full amount allowed and have gained 1000 bucks so far. The interest rates have cooled to 5.27% but this does offer more flexibility than long term CDs.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Thanks to whomever that is was that pointed out the I series bond and its high rates 18 months ago or so. I put in the full amount allowed and have gained 1000 bucks so far. The interest rates have cooled to 5.27% but this does offer more flexibility than long term CDs.
We cashed out of ours a couple of months ago and are just using high yield savings accounts now. About 1% less but easier to get for liquidity. It was nice when the rates were near 10%.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Jury duty on an attempted murder case in Person County. The defense didn't even present a case, his attorney just stressed that the prosecution had to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt. They didn't come close, and I think the final deadlock was 10-2 in favor of not-guilty. I doubt the DA retried the case, but they had already convicted the guy on violating a restraining order so I'd bet he did a pretty good chunk of time anyways.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think I may be the one that recommended it back then. I know I recommended it to other family members.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad