Hurricanes Logo

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
I have been a Hurricanes fan since 2001 and since then, all I have heard is how “bad” or “ugly” our logo is.

I absolutely love it, but more and more especially with our secondary logo now, do you ever think we change our logo?

Second tier to this question, how many Caniacs here like or dislike our logo?

Reactions: poobags

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The same people who hate the logo are the same people who are biased in favor of the Original 6 and think all those logos are the greatest thing on this earth. Mens Magazine and some other publication some 10 years ago ranked our logo dead last and had all the original 6 teams in the 1-6 order :rolleyes:. I wouldn't put a lot of value on their opinion, because if it was up to them our team would be in Quebec City or Saskatoon or some other bullshit location.

As for changing it, I don't really care. If ownership decides one day to revamp it, thats cool, just make it look good. If not, no problem.

I will say I like the secondary logo a lot more than I did at first. Hell even the 'CANES' road jersey is growing on me. The primary logo is what it is, there's good memories attached to it (2006) so I'm cool with it.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I am neither cursing or praising the logo before I go to bed. There is nothing glorious or disgusting about it.

It’s the people and their character that matter. It was not the reason I chose Canes not so long ago, but I am very happy that the people in charge are who they are.

By the way my post has been outright sent without pressing F5, which is a pleasant surprise.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
The same people who hate the logo are the same people who are biased in favor of the Original 6 and think all those logos are the greatest thing on this earth. Mens Magazine and some other publication some 10 years ago ranked our logo dead last and had all the original 6 teams in the 1-6 order :rolleyes:. I wouldn't put a lot of value on their opinion, because if it was up to them our team would be in Quebec City or Saskatoon or some other bullshit location.

As for changing it, I don't really care. If ownership decides one day to revamp it, thats cool, just make it look good. If not, no problem.

I will say I like the secondary logo a lot more than I did at first. Hell even the 'CANES' road jersey is growing on me. The primary logo is what it is, there's good memories attached to it (2006) so I'm cool with it.

Yea that gets old. I can’t even look at those lists because we all know who will be in the top 10.

So many northern fans (I’m from Michigan) and fans of original 6 teams feel like they have such superiority over smaller market teams. No matter what our logo looked like they would still call it trash.

I love our logo.

Reactions: cptjeff

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Why is the double flag bad? How many other ways do you logo a hurricane?
Simply put from my perspective the logo makes for terrible visual symmetry. The concept in itself is solid but the balance is completely off being an execution of extremes in tall vs thin. Even so much as adding the triangle background from the old third logo makes for a much more aesthetically pleasing presentation.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I can’t get on board with the “Canes” logo yet. Plus in order to get that they took away the white that was great before it.

Agreed. I don't think I'll ever get behind the diagonal lettering logo. I was happy to find out my wife found a white jersey with the eye on closeout for me before the pandemic began.

I think the eye logo actually looks better on the white jerseys because of the contrast. It would make more sense to go to another logo on the red before the white.

Reactions: djboos22 and DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I've loved most of our jerseys and logos. Only one I really disliked was the Red New Storm jersey. The shoulder piping they did once upon a time didn't do much for me, but not a big deal.

I know it's divisive, but I love all of our current jerseys and I love that we have 4 great, different jerseys. I look forward to whatever Stadium Series jersey we get.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Simply put from my perspective the logo makes for terrible visual symmetry. The concept in itself is solid but the balance is completely off being an execution of extremes in tall vs thin. Even so much as adding the triangle background from the old third logo makes for a much more aesthetically pleasing presentation.
Understandable POV. I don’t agree with this perspective but won’t say its wrong either. I think the detail in logo has made up for any visual unpleasantries. Then again I detest the white jerseys and plenty of people like them. So, my opinion isn’t popular.

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Change is scary. Rememeber this?

SLUBMONTAGEEEE.jpg

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Why is the double flag bad? How many other ways do you logo a hurricane?

Understandable POV. I don’t agree with this perspective but won’t say its wrong either. I think the detail in logo has made up for any visual unpleasantries. Then again I detest the white jerseys and plenty of people like them. So, my opinion isn’t popular.

As Dave G mentioned, it’s just a terrible visual. I like the idea of the stick plus flag but two flags just looks bad. I know the one flag is just a warning or whatever so it wasn’t factually correct but it looked better than the current version. Even still the single flag didn’t look great either. It’s good in theory but the problem is it’s just not a great flag so it doesn’t make for a good logo.

Ive said this before but something around the NC state map would look infinitely better as an alternate jersey.

https://previews.123rf.com/images/m...north-carolina-filled-with-the-state-flag.jpg

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
As Dave G mentioned, it’s just a terrible visual. I like the idea of the stick plus flag but two flags just looks bad. I know the one flag is just a warning or whatever so it wasn’t factually correct but it looked better than the current version. Even still the single flag didn’t look great either. It’s good in theory but the problem is it’s just not a great flag so it doesn’t make for a good logo.

Ive said this before but something around the NC state map would look infinitely better as an alternate jersey.

https://previews.123rf.com/images/m...north-carolina-filled-with-the-state-flag.jpg
One flag = tropical storm
Two flags = hurricane

basically we downgraded ourselves with the old logo.

The NC logo is shutter-rific.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
One flag = tropical storm
Two flags = hurricane

basically we downgraded ourselves with the old logo.

The NC logo is shutter-rific.

Yeah, I get the whole Storm downgrade thing. I mentioned it in my post. My point is that logos have to be aesthetically pleasing as much, if not more than being super accurate for the storm chasing community. The two flags on a hockey stick looks really dumb. Congrats on being accurate though I guess.

For the link I posted, I’m not suggesting copying and pasting it and putting on the jersey. But I think using the state outline as an inspiration for a design is a good idea and a way to pay tribute to the whole state.
I’m not photoshop competent so I’m not gonna give it a go but I’m sure someone could put together something cool with it.

Reactions: cptjeff

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I've grown to really like the black jerseys though I'm still not wild about the chest logo. Losing the grey shoulders would help them a lot though too- if they just put full color hurricane logos up there instead of the greyed out ones I think they'd look sharper. The old black logos had a similar issue, too much grey, not enough white. The white really makes the numbers pop and saves it from all mudding together

Reactions: skipnjump

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Yeah, the old flag logo was far better, and was, IMO, the best logo we've ever used. The two flags thing was a poorly thought through response to the haters who were always harping on the fact that it wasn't a hurricane flag since there was only one- who were also the same people that mocked our primary logo and would have mocked it regardless because they hate the team and want it to be moved to Yellowknife. They're bad faith actors, and we should have continued to ignore them.

The primary is good. I like the old flag logo better, but the primary is a clean and crisp rendition of a hurricane. It instantly communicates what it's supposed to be, and has a nice visual balance to it. It's not my favorite logo in the league, but it's very well done. The new wordmark is nice, I like the flags in the C. The old wordmark was more than a little dated. It was very clearly a product of the 90s, and while it worked for a time, it was time to update that.

Not a huge fan of the double flag logo. And I'm really not nuts about us wearing the Whalers stuff, just gives too much ammo to the aforementioned bad faith actors.

Reactions: djboos22 and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad