GDT: Hurricanes @ Lightning Round 2

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Disagree. I feel like TB looks like shit and the better game was vs NYI

The way Carolina played last night they would've made any team playing them look like shit.

Yes, TB did not look good but Carolina's 'team' game was sharp last night and that contributed to it.

I noticed a definite difference from the FL game; we looked scared vs Florida. Obviously Florida is still in our heads.

And even though Florida beat us and the team had a bad game; folks, we've won 6 out of our last 8 games. So, for the last 8 games we've been playing better as a whole.

Haven't had a good winning or point streak yet (like the Rangers) but I do feel it'll eventually happen.

Last edited:

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Yes, but I also feel like that’s a bit incomplete. How did the other Canes goalies do at home during that time? And also, would it be a good assumption that its more about the Canes simply being much better at home rather than Raanta himself?
This.

Especially in the playoffs we are an AWFUL road team. That's because of our shutdown style where we need to control matchups, and RBA is actually good at that.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
This.

Especially in the playoffs we are an AWFUL road team. That's because of our shutdown style where we need to control matchups, and RBA is actually good at that.

I never actually understood that because in the regular season we've always been a great road team (20+ wins a season) and for some reason we can't win in the playoffs. Yeah, I know the playoffs are a different animal; just don't know how a team with that many road wins every regular season does poorly on the road in the playoffs (has to be more than controlling matchups).

This year, we're starting a little slow on the road though, but we have 30 road games left. Still time to definitely turn it around.

Reactions: Tryamw

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Yes, but I also feel like that’s a bit incomplete. How did the other Canes goalies do at home during that time? And also, would it be a good assumption that its more about the Canes simply being much better at home rather than Raanta himself?
Andersen
21-22 18-6-2
22-23 11-6-1
23-24 2-0-0

The other 3 season goalie is mrazek
18-19 12-5-1
19-20 15-8-0
20-21 5-0-2

It is incomplete as Raanta typically gets the lower team but he still played against quality teams.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Am I counting right that we’ve only played 4 home games so far? Out of 15 total? Might be factor

Yep, we've played the least home games of any team in the NHL and the most road games (11). No other team has played more than 8.

A 9-6 record and 2nd in the Metro is not bad considering how our first 7 games of the season were.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Andersen
21-22 18-6-2
22-23 11-6-1
23-24 2-0-0

The other 3 season goalie is mrazek
18-19 12-5-1
19-20 15-8-0
20-21 5-0-2

It is incomplete as Raanta typically gets the lower team but he still played against quality teams.

So Andersen had a 31-12-3 record (67 W%), Mrazek with a 32-13-3 record (66 W%) and Raanta with a 23-2-2 record (85 W%)

Even if we account for the possibility of lower quality of competition, that's still an impressive number by Raanta.

Would also mean our record at home between those three is 84-27-8, or a 70% win percentage at home, which is very, very impressive.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I never actually understood that because in the regular season we've always been a great road team (20+ wins a season) and for some reason we can't win in the playoffs. Yeah, I know the playoffs are a different animal; just don't know how a team with that many road wins every regular season does poorly on the road in the playoffs (has to be more than controlling matchups).

This year, we're starting a little slow on the road though, but we have 30 road games left. Still time to definitely turn it around.

Home: Staal vs Barkov
Away: Aho vs Barkov

Away Aho isn't scoring.

Matter much less vs teams like Montreal or Chicago....Suzuki or Domi?/Bedard aren't going to dominate Aho.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Yep, we've played the least home games of any team in the NHL and the most road games (11). No other team has played more than 8.

A 9-6 record and 2nd in the Metro is not bad considering how our first 7 games of the season were.
Not even mid nov and 27% of our road schedule played and only one more west coast trip left.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So Andersen had a 31-12-3 record (67 W%), Mrazek with a 32-13-3 record (66 W%) and Raanta with a 23-2-2 record (85 W%)

Even if we account for the possibility of lower quality of competition, that's still an impressive number by Raanta.

Would also mean our record at home between those three is 84-27-8, or a 70% win percentage at home, which is very, very impressive.
Don’t forget before that game 7 against the Rangers he was 6-0 at home in the playoffs too, despite the fact that he hasn’t played that many games in a row since he was in his 20s.

He’s a back up making next to no money and despite his faults he’s done way more than he has any right to be expected to.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Over the last 2 seasons and this one so far the Canes were 61-18-7 which equates to a 123 point pace overall.

Over that same stretch, Raanta is 23-2-2 which equates to a 145 point pace.

The other goalies combined are thus 38-16-5 which equates to a 113 point pace.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Don’t forget before that game 7 against the Rangers he was 6-0 at home in the playoffs too, despite the fact that he hasn’t played that many games in a row since he was in his 20s.

He’s a back up making next to no money and despite his faults he’s done way more than he has any right to be expected to.

Oh, we love us some father Finn up around here.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Koko is making really confident quick decisions lately. Puck in his feet with a mob around him, but he plays it backwards pretty hard to the point with no hesitation, and that gets passed crisply to the other side for a chance. Where you expect the puck to bounce around and nothing to happen becomes a chance because he made a fast play to the point before other sticks could get in there.

It's really noticeably different from his prior play. He used to be a lot slower to make those decisions and executed them in a much more tepid way. Like a switch flipped this year. I'm sure confidence is a big part of it, when things are working you can trust your instincts a lot more.
He’s so damn legit

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Good points plus appears to be a cheerful guy and a great teammate.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

If I were him I'd ask for a raise.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad