Hurricanes getting $300 million from local government for PNC Arena upgrades, sign 20 year lease extension

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Carolina truly has top tier ownership. Makes me jealous as a Canadian franchise fan

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
No they don't. What does NHL gain but flat out shutting out any possibility of city getting a team? Maybe 10 years down the road QC grows and city becomes more viable for a team. NHL can't tell the future.
QC is viable now. That's why it's clear that, for whatever strange and bizarre reason, the league doesn't want a team there and should be up front with the market.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
QC is viable now. That's why it's clear that, for whatever strange and bizarre reason, the league doesn't want a team there and should be up front with the market.
NHL clearly doesn’t believe it is right now or they’d have a team. Y’all need to chill out with thinking you know better.

Reactions: DaveG

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
The NHL has a responsibility to tell a market they aren't getting a team. The way they've been treating the QC market they definitely owe it to the locals to finally be honest about it. It would also be helpful it they were honest with cities like Calgary and told them that the really don't need help with arena projects that should be privately funded. But they're obviously incapable of showing care and concern for the markets they've been dealing with.

The NHL lead QC to believe they wanted a team there. This is back in 2009: NHL Admits Interest In Returning Teams To Quebec City, Winnipeg

They encouraged the city to build an arena. The article is in French but you can translate it in chrome: Québec : Bettman encourage la construction d'un amphithéâtre

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
NHL clearly doesn’t believe it is right now or they’d have a team. Y’all need to chill out with thinking you know better.
I lived in QC and have read the tea leaves. It's not complicated. The league isn't going there and should be honest with the people there.

The NHL lead QC to believe they wanted a team there. This is back in 2009: NHL Admits Interest In Returning Teams To Quebec City, Winnipeg

They encouraged the city to build an arena. The article is in French but you can translate it in chrome: Québec : Bettman encourage la construction d'un amphithéâtre
I've read the same stories. Lots of encouragement but no action. The league's not going there and should be telling people in the market that.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I know people just like saying this stuff like "well, theres money in the banana stand!" but do you think Montreal has ANY desire, any whatsoever, to dilute potential fans/fanbases to share? Absolutely not. A LOT of this league is driven by 3 franchises and owners, Boston, Toronto, and Montreal.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I know people just like saying this stuff like "well, theres money in the banana stand!" but do you think Montreal has ANY desire, any whatsoever, to dilute potential fans/fanbases to share? Absolutely not. A LOT of this league is driven by 3 franchises and owners, Boston, Toronto, and Montreal.

I would be surprised if it had much support with the league as a whole. Montreal certainly has influence, but while QC scores high on viability, it scores very low on growth potential. The owners care much more about the latter than the former.

And to put this closer to on topic... Carolina scores high enough on viability and much higher on growth potential. It's a better market for the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad