Hurricanes getting $300 million from local government for PNC Arena upgrades, sign 20 year lease extension

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Fronting $50m for an event everyone (wrongly) tells you is a moneypit of a venture isn't being anything close to the level of conservative you accuse him of being with his money

First of all, you talk about me accusing him of something like I’m saying it’s a negative. I’m not even making a criticism here. Dundon running a lean ship in his businesses isn’t exactly a secret. Everyone was talking about it when he low-balled Brind’Amour, who could easily have doubled his salary going somewhere else.

Dundon does what he wants to do, so it doesn’t surprise me that he ignored what other people were saying and it doesn’t surprise me that he was right either. That $50m doesn’t represent extravagance just by saying the number. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the lowest number he could pay while still making sure it’s a quality event. Note: again, that’s not saying he’s cheap. It’s saying he’s “strategic” about it, to use the other poster’s terminology. It’s a particular skill of his that’s a big part of his success.

You mean, the businessman is running the sports franchise like a business and investing money where he expects the most direct return?

I don't think the question is why Dundon is so "conservative" with the money spent on the franchise (I think the better word is "strategic"), The question is why on Earth other owners wouldn't spend the same way.

There’s a crazy amount of wasteful spending in business.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I would say that it depends on the circumstances. The two circumstances where it probably works best are either when it's a brand new building or when the anchor tenant is on solid financial footing.
Its been a while since I have been to NC but Raleigh-Durham has been booming for over 30 years, so it would seem to me that doing a mixed use development (arena or not) is a good investment.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
They got a 20 years lease, and crapload of peripheral investments for doing renovation on assets they own. I'd say Raleigh got a win there, as long as it does not come with a bunch of tax break they make their money back and then some.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Quebec isn’t ever gonna happen under Bettman.
QC never stood a chance in the first place. The league is never going to do the right thing and help send a franchise QC's way - and it's the league's loss for it.

And this gift to the Hurricanes is a huge mistake. These teams are rich and can afford their own toys.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
QC never stood a chance in the first place. The league is never going to do the right thing and help send a franchise QC's way - and it's the league's loss for it.

And this gift to the Hurricanes is a huge mistake. These teams are rich and can afford their own toys.
Yet Quebec City spent millions of tax dollars for an empty arena. I have day to wait for you to criticize that all well.

Reactions: cptjeff

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Yet Quebec City spent millions of tax dollars for an empty arena. I have day to wait for you to criticize that all well.
Tax dollars should never ever be invested in sports facilities. Owners are rich and can pay their own way.

And QC should have known that they were never going to get an NHL franchise. The NHL has always been gas lighting them and giving them false hope.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Tax dollars should never ever be invested in sports facilities. Owners are rich and can pay their own way.

And QC should have known that they were never going to get an NHL franchise. The NHL has always been gas lighting them and giving them false hope.
The NHL flat out told them there were no guarantees.

Reactions: cptjeff and Chan790

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Anytime Dundon gets anything done locally/for his team, it's good for the Canes, but his business success makes me nervous as a fan in general.

No, Im not saying "oh damn, he did this one good thing for his team, that means everything that worries me about him a will come to pass and the game is doomed!!!". He's just kinda become the voice of the small market owners in the league and the more good he does for league business, the warmer the others will become to his influence and thats how we end up with his garbage ideas such as turning jerseys into NASCAR liveries. Even the rotating board ads implementation reeks of Dundon...it's hard not to assume he was a prominent voice behind that given what he wants jerseys to become.

Nothing personal against Canes fans, but I actively root against everything Dundon does just because I personally believe he's well respected and seen as somewhat of a leader at least amongst the small and medium markets in league circles...and that I don't think he's particularly friendly to the general viewer.

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
They don’t need the NHL to tell them that. If they’re dumb enough to do this without a firm guarantee, then it’s on them.
The NHL has a responsibility to tell a market they aren't getting a team. The way they've been treating the QC market they definitely owe it to the locals to finally be honest about it. It would also be helpful it they were honest with cities like Calgary and told them that the really don't need help with arena projects that should be privately funded. But they're obviously incapable of showing care and concern for the markets they've been dealing with.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
The NHL has a responsibility to tell a market they aren't getting a team. The way they've been treating the QC market they definitely owe it to the locals to finally be honest about it. It would also be helpful it they were honest with cities like Calgary and told them that the really don't need help with arena projects that should be privately funded. But they're obviously incapable of showing care and concern for the markets they've been dealing with.
No they don’t because they can dangle Quebec City as a threat to get taxpayers to pay to for new arenas much like the nfl did with los angeles

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
No they don’t because they can dangle Quebec City as a threat to get taxpayers to pay to for new arenas much like the nfl did with los angeles
Given the way the league has treated the market it's not much of a threat. It's pretty obvious QC will never get a franchise as long as the current management is running the league.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
QC is necessary as a plug-in-play emergency relocation landing spot. That's what the Jets were and they had the massive fortune of not being in the EST and Atlanta Spirit Group self-immolating.

The actual path for the return of the Nords is when an eastern city needs to relocate. But the league is in an unprecedented level of stability, sadly for them.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
The NHL has a responsibility to tell a market they aren't getting a team.
No they don't. What does NHL gain but flat out shutting out any possibility of city getting a team? Maybe 10 years down the road QC grows and city becomes more viable for a team. NHL can't tell the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad