Rumor: Hurricanes discussing trading Darling and Faulk to Blackhawks

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I have to imagine there's a good plus going the way of the Canes.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Powers is about as reputable as it gets in Chicago. He won't just throw rumors out there.

Powers also said the price for Faulk was high and that Carolina was overvaluing its assets. With how many teams that could use a top-4 RHD I doubt the Canes end up folding Faulk’s positive value into Darling’s negative value.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Darling's contract? Damn near up there with Seabrook. Who can afford an expensive back up like that while paying Crawford 6M+ ?

Not even close. Darling can be bought out and it would cost the Canes $7.9M over six years. Seabrooks salary this year alone is $9M and he's owed $37M.

50% retention on Darling would cost the Canes $5.9M. I could see them retaining on Darling, but for a $2M savings over a buyout (which is really less with time value of money), I can't see them giving a discount on another asset to do it.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
This screams Chicago trying to figure out a way to add Faulk without giving up any of their A-grade assets. 27OA is a weak centerpiece for Faulk alone, but perhaps the Hawks are thinking that if they take on a player that they're familiar and comfortable with in Darling, with retention, Carolina would amicable to that type of deal.

Hopefully Waddell holds firm.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not even close. Darling can be bought out and it would cost the Canes $7.9M over six years. Seabrooks salary this year alone is $9M and he's owed $37M.

50% retention on Darling would cost the Canes $5.9M. I could see them retaining on Darling, but for a $2M savings over a buyout (which is really less with time value of money), I can't see them giving a discount on another asset to do it.

I can't see them retaining that much. I think something like 27% gets his caphit down to right around 3mil which isn't too bad for a backup. I also think they probably take Hossa back so the cap addition for Chicago is just 2.5mil. Not sure if the 8th is too much for Faulk and Darling and Chicago doesn't have any real prospects Carolina would be interested in. Maybe Carolina adds a forward prospect like Saarela or Wallmark to give Chicago an NHL ready forward as well.

Faulk + Saarela/Wallmark + Darling(27% retained) for 8th + Hossa? Get Svechnikov at 2 then the best defender left at 8, hopefully it's a RD. Trade Skinner for the 13th or 16th + then trade one of those picks to the Rangers, maybe with a +, for their two late 1sts and use one of them to snag Grubauer. For Chicago you are in a win now mode and Faulk helps a lot more than whoever you'd get at 8.

Reactions: Unsustainable

JLarucci23

May 22, 2015
Chicago, IL
I can't see them retaining that much. I think something like 27% gets his caphit down to right around 3mil which isn't too bad for a backup. I also think they probably take Hossa back so the cap addition for Chicago is just 2.5mil. Not sure if the 8th is too much for Faulk and Darling and Chicago doesn't have any real prospects Carolina would be interested in. Maybe Carolina adds a forward prospect like Saarela or Wallmark to give Chicago an NHL ready forward as well.

Faulk + Saarela/Wallmark + Darling(27% retained) for 8th + Hossa? Get Svechnikov at 2 then the best defender left at 8, hopefully it's a RD. Trade Skinner for the 13th or 16th + then trade one of those picks to the Rangers, maybe with a +, for their two late 1sts and use one of them to snag Grubauer. For Chicago you are in a win now mode and Faulk helps a lot more than whoever you'd get at 8.
Id pass on that from a Hawks perspective. Moving number 8 is a non starter for me.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio

The problem with this is that Hossa contract already doesn’t really affect the Hawks cap situation that much with LTIR, so getting rid of it would be nice, but not very valuable. Personally, if the price for Faulk is 8, I’m not at all interested. I like Faulk a lot as a player, but he has two years left and the Hawks would be better served using that pick on a high-end prospect that’s cost-controlled for the foreseeable future.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Is this anywhere close to reasonable? I'm not sure...

FAULK
DARLING
Helvig

for

C MURPHY
CRAWFORD
Krys/Mitchell/Kayumov/2nd
The idea behind acquiring Darling is that Crawford’s coming off an injury, and he could solidify the backup spot. If Crawford isn’t injured, the Hawks would never trade him, and if he is, this doesn’t help Carolina. I don’t mind moving Murphy, I think he’s has more to show, but a deal could make sense. I just don’t think that Carolina is going to be able to sell off Faulk, get rid of Darling, and get a D and good prospect in return. Also, there’s a big difference in value between Mitchell and the other Hawks assets mentioned.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Can you give a brief synopsis on Helvig? Can’t say I heard of him very much and assume he isn’t the higher prospect on the Canes list.
I'm not a Canes fan really. Helvig is a non elite goalie prospect drafted 4 years ago (I think). I just know that Carolina has Nedeljkovic and Booth coming in the AHL, and Helvig I believe needs to be signed soon if Carolina wants to keep his rights.

If Hurricanes were to end up with all three of Crawford and Nedeljkovic and Booth, I assume all other goalie assets would be available for trade.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
The idea behind acquiring Darling is that Crawford’s coming off an injury, and he could solidify the backup spot. If Crawford isn’t injured, the Hawks would never trade him, and if he is, this doesn’t help Carolina.
So if Chicago won't trade a healthy Crawford, will they let him walk for nothing in 2 summers or will they try to extend him? What if he doesn't wanna stay for a rebuild? Lose the asset for nothing?

Or does Chicago management think they are still a contender?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad