Rumor: Hurricanes discussing trading Darling and Faulk to Blackhawks

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
They just had Schmaltz and Debrincat step in and become legit top 6 forwards. As long as Q doesn’t do something stupid, Hinostroza is likely a full time top 6 player this year. Forsling had great stretches last year, he should be in the lineup full-time, hopefully in the top 4. Then Jokiharu and Mitchell seem pretty likely to make their NHL debuts at some point this season. I think you drastically underestimate the amount of young talent the Hawks have brought in and continue to bring in.
I understand about Schmaltz DeBrincat Hinostroza Forsling Jokiharju and so on. I just see the Hawks getting a little bit worse each year, for three reasons.

(A) due to the salary cap

(B) due to the lack of high end guys projected to step in GOING FORWARD (not including the aforementioned)

(C) due to Keith and Seabrook regressing each year as they age. Also the regression of Toews Kane Anisimov Crawford Rutta etc as they age, but that will happen much much slower since they aren't 35ish yet.

As those three things happen each year and slowly pull the team down, I see DeBrincat Schmaltz Forsling Hinostroza Jokiharju 8th overall pull the team back up a bit. But all of this combined, IMO, more or less balances out. The team will be able to prevent regression but will be unable to actually improve (again, IMO).

As they stand now, they're not quite a contender, just a playoff team. I see that being the best they can be going forward without a rebuild or big big shakeup, or without making Seabrook's cap hit disappear.

If this is the case, either work agressively to trade Seabrook or just get it over and start rebuilding (keeping Kane and maybe Toews). Rebuilding means trading out Corey Crawford.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hawks will not try to trade Seabrook to Carolina. That would be a no-go for Carolina, as it should be. No Hawks fans expect that contract to be moved ever except potentially with a compliance buyout after the CBA opt-out.

My prediction for a potential Chicago/Carolina deal is that it will be Anisimov+Murphy/Rutta+27th for Faulk+Darling (10-25% retained)

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
I understand about Schmaltz DeBrincat Hinostroza Forsling Jokiharju and so on. I just see the Hawks getting a little bit worse each year, for three reasons.

(A) due to the salary cap

(B) due to the lack of high end guys projected to step in GOING FORWARD (not including the aforementioned)

(C) due to Keith and Seabrook regressing each year as they age. Also the regression of Toews Kane Anisimov Crawford Rutta etc as they age, but that will happen much much slower since they aren't 35ish yet.

As those three things happen each year and slowly pull the team down, I see DeBrincat Schmaltz Forsling Hinostroza Jokiharju 8th overall pull the team back up a bit. But all of this combined, IMO, more or less balances out. The team will be able to prevent regression but will be unable to actually improve (again, IMO).

As they stand now, they're not quite a contender, just a playoff team. I see that being the best they can be going forward without a rebuild or big big shakeup, or without making Seabrook's cap hit disappear.

If this is the case, either work agressively to trade Seabrook or just get it over and start rebuilding (keeping Kane and maybe Toews). Rebuilding means trading out Corey Crawford.
A - The Hawks don’t have cap problems. They have 6 million in space right now, and that’s before the cap goes up and Hossa goes on LTIR. The only guys of any significance they have to sign are Duclair and Hinostroza. Not only do they have no cap problems, they could trade Anisimov and frre up even more money to play in with in FA.

B - How many high end guys do you want them to have? Debrincat and Schmaltz are already top 6 guys. I’d be willing to bet Hinostroza would be good in the top 6 as well right now. Sikura looks like a top 9 guy already, potential to be a top 6 player. Saad’s a top 6 player in his mid twenties. Ejdsell tore up the AHL playoffs. On D they have Jokiharu and Mitchell, who both had outstanding D+1 years and are tracking to be top 4 guys. Forsling played top 4 minutes this past year and was great for a stretch, he’s about to turn 22. Murphy looks like he has more to show in a decent system, he’s in his mid twenties. They’re likely going to get a potential top pairing guy at 8 in the draft. They’ve proven their ability to get talent overseas with guys like Panarin and Kempny. How many good young players do they need to have? The only major hole right now is in goal, and worst case scenario you trade for someone.

C - Seabrook can ride it out on the third pairing or in the press box. I’m willing to bet Keith has a better year, considering he’s still a great skater and plays a game that ages well. The big problem is that he was the only one that looked like he belonged anywhere near an NHL top 4 with any consistency last year. The other thing is the the core players as a whole all had some of the worst years of their careers production-wise. Several of them were below their career shooting percentages, so I don’t see why they couldn’t return to form.

If the Hawks are bad again early next year, they’re also likely getting rid of Q, who is by far the biggest issue with the team. Once they dump him, it seems likely that the team as a whole gets better, especially since Bowman has built it for a style of play that Q refuses to play.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
If Carolina is retaining on Darling (who at least can physically play), for Crawford (who may not), and some or all of Hossa's contract, in exchange for Faulk - why not just keep Darling and Faulk? Grubauer as 'the prize' screams Darling/Khudobin all over again - a backup who hasn't truly been tested as a bonafide #1 goalie over time. If they're after a Goalie, it better be better than Grubauer for all that wheeling and dealing.

Reactions: DaveG

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Leafs need to man up and get serious about bidding for Faulk. I would hate to see it cost an expensive back-up plus, but how many opportunities is Toronto going to pass up to improve the defense?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I don’t get these rumors at all from a CAR standpoint. Yeah, Faulk was hot garbage at times last year, but he’s also proven he can be a capable top 4 RHD good for at least 15g a year. He’s signed for 2 more years at a very reasonable cap hit for what he brings to the table. Another player, Duchene, played like hot garbage the season prior to being dealt, but he still brought in quite a haul. Granted, C vs. D there, but I see some similarities there. Faulk’s value will not be completely determined by his last season.

The idea of dealing Faulk to dump Darling’s contract seems ludicrous. Faulk alone should pull in a nice return. Adding Darling to that equation seems idiotic. My bet is CHI reached out hoping to find Donnie W willing to lessen the ask on Faulk by agreeing to also take on Darling. Donnie probably didn’t see it that way and still asked for what Faulk should bring on the open market. CHI baulked and the rumors leaked.

That’s my take at least. I don’t see how accepting 27OA + Anisimov + whatever makes CAR a better team, which is the reason behind the very publicly stated purpose of making everyone available outside of Aho. This is regardless of the fact the team would be rid of Darling. I’d hope they’d rather buy him out or bury him in the minors before attaching him to an asset like Faulk.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why would Carolina want Anisimov? They have a similar player in Rask who makes less money, they would have to trade him and after his down year last season his value isn't as high. Anisimov would be an overpriced 4C for Carolina. I could see Murphy being of interest so they have another NHL caliber RD besides Pesce.

leatherneck0507

Jul 10, 2006
I agree that the 8th overall is too much for Faulk as the base of a trade, but would other Hawks fans entertain the idea of 8th overall + Seabrook + Anisimov for Faulk + Darling (25% retained) + Mid Level prospect? Maybe even make it simpler and remove Anisimov and the prospect from Carolina's sides.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I agree that the 8th overall is too much for Faulk as the base of a trade, but would other Hawks fans entertain the idea of 8th overall + Seabrook + Anisimov for Faulk + Darling (25% retained) + Mid Level prospect? Maybe even make it simpler and remove Anisimov and the prospect from Carolina's sides.

Canes fans sure as heck wouldn’t entertain that.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Seriously man......

In every scenario, the Canes end up worse then before the trade.

The only thing of value is the 8th pick. Is Faulk worth the 8th pick? Yes. No matter what anyone says, Faulks value is the 8th pick, and as a Hawks fan, I would do that.

Adding Darling, who the Hawks would want back, is what makes things complicated. Only because of his cap hit. The Canes would need to either retain, or take on a salary themselves. AA? No retention.

Faulk
Darling

8th pick
AA

Why would the Canes want AA? Why would the Hawks unload AA when he's plays great with Kane?
Why wouldn't the Hawks create a DeBrincat/AA/Kane sheltered offensive zone line similar to when AP was here?

Why would the Canes put a huge hole in their top four so they can draft a player who isn't going to contribute in three years?

I say, if both teams really want to make a trade, work around Faulk, Darling, and Tuevo coming back.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Seriously man......

In every scenario, the Canes end up worse then before the trade.

The only thing of value is the 8th pick. Is Faulk worth the 8th pick? Yes. No matter what anyone says, Faulks value is the 8th pick, and as a Hawks fan, I would do that.

Adding Darling, who the Hawks would want back, is what makes things complicated. Only because of his cap hit. The Canes would need to either retain, or take on a salary themselves. AA? No retention.

Faulk
Darling

8th pick
AA

Why would the Canes want AA? Why would the Hawks unload AA when he's plays great with Kane?
Why wouldn't the Hawks create a DeBrincat/AA/Kane sheltered offensive zone line similar to when AP was here?

Why would the Canes put a huge hole in their top four so they can draft a player who isn't going to contribute in three years?

I say, if both teams really want to make a trade, work around Faulk, Darling, and Tuevo coming back.

You say it doesn't make sense for Carolina because they end up immediately worse in every scenario, and then you suggest adding Tuevo in as a remedy.

Not so much

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
You say it doesn't make sense for Carolina because they end up immediately worse in every scenario, and then you suggest adding Tuevo in as a remedy.

Not so much
No, I say the Canes get worse with every preposal, so if there's any way this would actually work, throw Tuevo into the mix and try and build a trade around that scenario instead of Hawks players with little or no value.

8th
27th
Schmaltz

Faulk
Darling
Tuevo

With some retention isn't as far fetched. I don't understand add AA to the mix because he does nothing for the Canes.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hawks have a plan. Either there's retention on the Darling contract or they have a deal lined up to send Darling to someone else. Either way Faulk is a nice piece

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'm guessing they're one of the few teams or maybe the only willing to take Darling with little retained to reduce the acquisition cost of Faulk.

I'm willing to take that gamble that our goalie coach can fix Darling to be a solid 1b again if it means that we get Faulk for a little bit less than had they moved him without Darling in the deal.

I don't think Chicago is going to line up another team to flip him to. Crawford's long term future with the team is in limbo. He only has a couple years of term left and his health could go at any point. Chicago likes Darling, he was a good fit with their team and easily can re-find his game again.

I think Stan rather bet on Darling than go to the market for a backup and possibly spend 2m when he can get Darling for ~3m.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Once again, buying Darling out only costs $7.9M over 6 years. I cannot see Carolina Reducing the price on Faulk just to unload Darling when his buyout cost isn’t that much.

I read somewhere that another GM said the Canes prices for players were too high, so it doesn’t sound like they are offering discounts.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Once again, buying Darling out only costs $7.9M over 6 years. I cannot see Carolina Reducing the price on Faulk just to unload Darling when his buyout cost isn’t that much.

I read somewhere that another GM said the Canes prices for players were too high, so it doesn’t sound like they are offering discounts.

Retention to the tune of ~25%, as suggested by a poster above, reduces the benefit for Carolina down to ~$5 mil.

Dundon would have to be extraordinarily cheap to see that as a worthwhile idea.

Reactions: Unsustainable

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

With an upcoming ED for Seattle in 20 or 21, and Seabrook holding a NMC, can the Canes risk Slavin, Pesce, Hannifin, Fleury, (Possibly Bean if it is in 2021) if they have to hold a protection spot for Seabrook?

Teams have full disclosure that an ED is definitely coming up. 2020 is when Key Arena should be completely renovated, but that's also the year the CBA could expire if either side exercises the opt out clause by September 2019. If there is an opt out, the NHL would surely push the ED to 2021 and not risk Seattle's inaugural season delayed due to a work stoppage.

So, no excuses for teams to not be prepared for the ED.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Faulk is my ***hole defensively and scores 30 points a year.

Hawks could have Gardiner at 50% and their pick of Sparks or McElhinney for the 8th pick.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Hawks could have Gardiner at 50% and their pick of Sparks or McElhinney for the 8th pick.
I agree Faulk is pathetic defensively. Hawks might partner him with Keith though.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

gardiner is not good defensively either and that would be a horrible trade for the blackhawks to make

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
With an upcoming ED for Seattle in 20 or 21, and Seabrook holding a NMC, can the Canes risk Slavin, Pesce, Hannifin, Fleury, (Possibly Bean if it is in 2021) if they have to hold a protection spot for Seabrook?

Teams have full disclosure that an ED is definitely coming up. 2020 is when Key Arena should be completely renovated, but that's also the year the CBA could expire if either side exercises the opt out clause by September 2019. If there is an opt out, the NHL would surely push the ED to 2021 and not risk Seattle's inaugural season delayed due to a work stoppage.

So, no excuses for teams to not be prepared for the ED.

Once a player with NMC/NTC is moves the new team does not have to honor it (I could be wrong though).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Once a player with NMC/NTC is moves the new team does not have to honor it (I could be wrong though).

If that is the case and Seabrook loses control once he opts to leave Chicago, how does that benefit him? He's the one that would need to be convinced to waive it to go to Carolina.

Because Subban's NTC didn't kick in yet when he was moved from MTL to NAS, the Preds had the option to honour it, and they chose not to.

Not sure if that holds when the NTC/NMC is already active.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

HC7

May 2, 2018
gardiner is not good defensively either and that would be a horrible trade for the blackhawks to make

Faulk isn't 20 points defensively better than Gardiner. Both trades are shit, but for some reason Hawks fans are entertaining the Canes one I figured I'd give you another shit deal, but better than the Canes one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad