GDT: Hurricanes @ Devils - DAS EUPHORIA PART DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If they can only must 2 goals against Scam Ward, what do you think they're going to be able to do against better competition? The PP has one play. The transition game is a disaster. The Devils are a mess defensively and the ONLY reason they're where they are right now is because of Cory. Oh, and these teams can score.

That's last year with a completely different team.

The Devils won 8 out of 30 games against divisional opponents in regulation last year. This year's team has showed zero improvement offensively and ticked down defensively. If Henrique, Palmieri, Camm and to a lesser extent Bennett don't pick up the slack, it's going to be a LONG season

dude we've beaten Florida, Tampa, and Anaheim...some of the better teams in the league. Last year, we were losing to the crap teams and squandering points left and right.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Is it that hard for this fan base to be happy? :laugh:

The parity in this league is extremely high, anyone can beat anyone at any given time.

Be happy with 2 wins in a row. Let's hope for the same with Buffalo.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I know that. You can't score if you don't shoot.

But if you can't generate good chances and more than half of your shots are generated outside the box on the left side, you have what the Devils are suffering from. A lack of scoring....again.

Question for you. How many odd man rushes have the Devils generated this year? Very few because the transition game ****ing BLOWS

The Devils' ES shooting percentage right now is 6.1%. The lowest shooting percentage in the NHL last year was Toronto at 6.4%.

The Devils will start scoring more ES goals if they keep at it.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

The parity in this league is extremely high, anyone can beat anyone at any given time.

Yeah, it's absolutely amazing. After four straight non-playoff seasons, people are actually crapping on the team that has started 6-3-3 and shown vast improvement in shot/possession metrics.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah, it's absolutely amazing. After four straight non-playoff seasons, people are actually crapping on the team that has started 6-3-3 and shown vast improvement in shot/possession metrics.

Beyond that, the team is fun to watch. Love the Devils, but they would've been probably 29th on my list of neutral teams to watch the last few seasons if I were a fan of another team. Right now they've got interesting players on every line.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Taylor Hall's shifts alone make us more fun to watch than last year. And it's so encouraging that we're putting up points at a solid pace despite 2 of our best players from last year sucking ass.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
This game was last night?

My bad for DAS GDT. Still, the EUPHORIA came through in the end. Nice!

I wasn't there so you didn't miss anything <3

-----

For all the complaining about how Hynes worked the OT, you guys do realize we've been absolutely owned in OT this year so far, right? Might as well try something new.

Last edited:

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
team is performing well, this board has forgotten how to enjoy it

I'm not sure that this board ever knew how to enjoy things...

I'm absolutely ecstatic about our future. Do I want to see Santini? Yes, but when he's ready. Do I think they could settle on some line combos - yes.

Zajac has been awesome. Hall has been awesome. Zacha, who is only 19, has been awesome.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
The Devils' ES shooting percentage right now is 6.1%. The lowest shooting percentage in the NHL last year was Toronto at 6.4%.

The Devils will start scoring more ES goals if they keep at it.

The PP isn't clicking like it was last year, the PK isn't much better. Did Henrique and Palmieri have career years last year? Zajac isn't going to stay Kopitar-lite all year. I hope he does, but I don't see it.

To me, this team has Montreal Canadiens written all over it. If Cory gets hurt, this team is ****ed.

This team has not played one 60 minute contest this year. It has the habit of going into hibernation for VERY long stretches. They also are taking a ton of penalties which kills momentum. This is why I'm concerned.

dude we've beaten Florida, Tampa, and Anaheim...some of the better teams in the league. Last year, we were losing to the crap teams and squandering points left and right.

We beat how many backup goaltenders? We played Eddie Lack, Cam Ward (faux starter), Vasilevskiy, Justin Peters

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
how many teams do you think look good for 60 minutes? you can go on every team's board and they say the same things about their team as you do about the Devils.

This team and last year's team is night and day when it comes to 5 on 5.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
The PP isn't clicking like it was last year, the PK isn't much better. Did Henrique and Palmieri have career years last year? Zajac isn't going to stay Kopitar-lite all year. I hope he does, but I don't see it.

To me, this team has Montreal Canadiens written all over it. If Cory gets hurt, this team is ****ed.

This team has not played one 60 minute contest this year. It has the habit of going into hibernation for VERY long stretches. They also are taking a ton of penalties which kills momentum. This is why I'm concerned.

We beat how many backup goaltenders? We played Eddie Lack, Cam Ward (faux starter), Vasilevskiy, Justin Peters

Putting Vasilevsky's name on that list is a sham.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
how many teams do you think look good for 60 minutes? you can go on every team's board and they say the same things about their team as you do about the Devils.

This team and last year's team is night and day when it comes to 5 on 5.

Exactly. What's impressed me is that we've pulled wins out of games we didn't play a full 60 for. We couldn't do that with any regularity the last few years.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
some people will just never be happy, I guess. Team is 8th in the league in points and yet we are still hearing complaints.

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey
some people will just never be happy, I guess. Team is 8th in the league in points and yet we are still hearing complaints.

Especially starting 1-2-1 through 4 games. We beat the Wild, Lightning, Ducks and took points against the Blackhawks and Florida x2 which apparently isn't good enough :shakehead

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

Stop with the "8th in the league in points" thing. While that maybe be factually correct, we're 1 point from 16th, 2 pts from 20th, 3 from 23rd, and 4 from 27th. Columbus is in 21st with 12 points. They have two games in hand. If they win those games in hand, they jump over us.... all the way back from 21st.

The fact is, the Devils have had a good start. Parenteau, Hall, and Zajac have been good to great. The Devils badly need Cammalleri, Henrique, and Palmieri to find their game and consistency or things will drop off dramatically.

We're also 27th in the league in goals. Cory is not going to steal every game for us.

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey
Stop with the "8th in the league in points" thing. While that maybe be factually correct, we're 1 point from 16th, 2 pts from 20th, 3 from 23rd, and 4 from 27th. Columbus is in 21st with 12 points. They have two games in hand. If they win those games in hand, they jump over us.... all the way back from 21st.

The fact is, the Devils have had a good start. Parenteau, Hall, and Zajac have been good to great. The Devils badly need Cammalleri, Henrique, and Palmieri to find their game and consistency or things will drop off dramatically.

We're also 27th in the league in goals. Cory is not going to steal every game for us.

That might be true, but they would have to win BOTH games. We have games in hand over 14 teams behind us in the league standings and 7 teams behind us in the conference plus our schedule is a little favorable right now, but Buffalo can't be taken lightly

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Pretty stupid argument.

Devils have done well to start the year. Certainly things to improve upon, but if you spend life constantly complaining about all the things that could be better, it'll be tough to be happy. Let's savor some winning hockey.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I am in no way complaining.

I like Hynes' rotation of the bottom six. It keeps everyone on their toes and promotes 100% effort night in and night out.

I was not thrilled with the game plan in overtime last night as Lovejoy was a disaster. Auvitu should have been out there.

Schneider was fantastic.
I thought Moore and Severson played very well also. Zajac looks like a beast right now.

Overall I am having so much fun watching this team. They need to improve their finishing which ties into Palmieri, Cammy, and Henrique struggling... but there are some scoring changes, plays, and rushes that we just haven't seen in the past few years. This team is fun to watch for the first time since 2012.

Hall is electric every single time he's on the ice.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I was not thrilled with the game plan in overtime last night as Lovejoy was a disaster. Auvitu should have been out there.

Hynes changed the game plan because we lost the last two OTs.

In all honesty, I'm not sure I trust Auvitu in OT. Hall scares me in OT with his defensive coverage but at least he generates enough offense to offset that.

The OT rotation should be between Hall, Henrique, Zajac, Palmieri, Moore, Greene, and Severson. Bennett and JJ would not be bad options either. I wouldn't mind Auvitu or Zacha, but only on a heavily sheltered unit.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

how many points did you realistically expect to have at this point in the season? We're on a ~103 point pace right now.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Given how poorly I felt they've played, this is a damn good start, points-wise. More importantly, the team seems to be improving some structural things with a lot more quick plays in and out of every zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad