98.5 The Sports Hub Hurricanes coach Rod Brind'Amour says Dougie Hamilton is 'misunderstood'

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
And yet he has a team with no superstars, no goalie, etc. In the conference final. When I look at Carolina at times, when I look at their roster, I find it hard to believe they made the playoffs. Yet here they are. Now maybe the Bruins will finish the domination in Carolina, but I won't be shocked if we see a different

He seems like a good motivator type coach. But he had zero answers for the Bruins in game 2 after an undisciplined game 1 and I question leaving his goalie out to dry like that. I don’t think Carolina is that devoid of talent that he’s drawing up some sort of game plan that’s baffling the other coaches and beating them with it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
On a separate note, Rod is waaaaaaay over his head as a coach. I’m totally against the “former great player gets big job in organization” movement and he’s a good example in my favor.

I`ll disagree, I think he`s experiencing for the first time, likely as he did as a player how different coaching in the playoffs is and up to this series, he`s clearly done a terrific job and that Canes team was a team who played terrific hockey the last few months just to scratch their way into the playoffs.

Game 1 I really liked his reaction on the bench during the time out having just given up two quick goals to the B`s, shrugging his shoulders, asking or telling his boys to settle down, lots of time left. He wasn`t ranting and raving. Is he being outcoached? Don`t necessarily think so, think in the first two games, we have watched a Bruins team who now has 4 solid lines, loaded with vets and experience, not show panic when behind and/or if things are going their way.

Think RBA is a very good coach, just learning the playoff game from behind the bench and working with a young, inexperienced team outside of a few players

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
On a separate note, Rod is waaaaaaay over his head as a coach. I’m totally against the “former great player gets big job in organization” movement and he’s a good example in my favor.

I'm going to echo what's already been said, he's in the conference finals with a team that should probably not have made the playoffs.

Credit where it's due.

Look at Bostons roster, look at the Canes. You'd be very hard pressed to find someone who would prefer the latter.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I'm going to echo what's already been said, he's in the conference finals with a team that should probably not have made the playoffs.

Credit where it's due.

Look at Bostons roster, look at the Canes. You'd be very hard pressed to find someone who would prefer the latter.

Slavin. Pesce. Hamilton. Faulk. Aho. Teravainen. Svech. Necas.

Id take the young canes roster

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Prior to the 2010-2011 OHL season, I surveyed the 20 OHL General Managers on a bunch of things related to the 2011 NHL draft. You'd be surprised at the results.

One of the questions was: All things considered, which draft eligible defenceman projects to have the best NHL Career?

In order, according to those OHL GM's

1) Scott Harrington
2) Ryan Murphy
3) Dougie Hamilton

Reactions: GarbageGoal

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Every team is putting more emphasis on character. Yet, they still don't always get it right. Jesse Gabrielle is a player that falls into that. There is a story to be told there one day. We've seen where he ended up.

The thing is, by all accounts the Bruins (management) wanted Dougie to stay. The players may have felt differently. We'll never know. Why Dougie didn't want to stay, we'll probably never know that either. But I had that lousy feeling in my gut when they drafted him.
My friends kid played with Gabriel and said he was unreal. He heard there were issues with him before the draft. He couldn’t believe how muscular he was.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Prior to the 2010-2011 OHL season, I surveyed the 20 OHL General Managers on a bunch of things related to the 2011 NHL draft. You'd be surprised at the results.

One of the questions was: All things considered, which draft eligible defenceman projects to have the best NHL Career?

1) Scott Harrington
2) Ryan Murphy
3) Dougie Hamilton

Well, Dougie may not be what he could be in a best case world. He's a much better player than Harrington and Murphy.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Dougie has talent to burn, at some point, likely when all is said and done, we`ll hear about why this guy is in more cities than a travelling salesman/woman

All you have to do is watch an old episode of Behind the B to understand why he’s so unlikeable.

Or “misunderstood”.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
All you have to do is watch an old episode of Behind the B to understand why he’s so unlikeable.

Or “misunderstood”.
watched them a bit when they first started but so much is cookie cutter stuff, can`t recall any Dougie parts, but if I only read/hear rumblings about him not being liked from one team or it`s media I don`t typically pay attention, when we continue hearing things from other teams he is then on, it`s more than likely on Dougie. I dunno, seems like a guy who thinks he should always be THE guy

member 96824

1) Scott Harrington
2) Ryan Murphy
3) Dougie Hamilton

Murphy :(

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I`ll disagree, I think he`s experiencing for the first time, likely as he did as a player how different coaching in the playoffs is and up to this series, he`s clearly done a terrific job and that Canes team was a team who played terrific hockey the last few months just to scratch their way into the playoffs.

Game 1 I really liked his reaction on the bench during the time out having just given up two quick goals to the B`s, shrugging his shoulders, asking or telling his boys to settle down, lots of time left. He wasn`t ranting and raving. Is he being outcoached? Don`t necessarily think so, think in the first two games, we have watched a Bruins team who now has 4 solid lines, loaded with vets and experience, not show panic when behind and/or if things are going their way.

Think RBA is a very good coach, just learning the playoff game from behind the bench and working with a young, inexperienced team outside of a few players

Agree.

And please, don't fall for the Haggerty/Kalman/KPD choir, predictably trashing the Canes at every turn & singing the Bruins' praises. Yes, yes, we're but a few games from the Cup. Get the duck boats ready.

These are the same b@astards who will turn on the Bruins -- immediately -- if things go wrong. They are professional jackals.

Never underestimate the opposition and don't sleep on them while admiring your clippings.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Dougie has talent to burn, at some point, likely when all is said and done, we`ll hear about why this guy is in more cities than a travelling salesman/woman

That's what they said about Kessel. (Who will likely be on the move again, but never mind.)

Fans have this attitude that when he's on our team, he's great -- particularly when he's very talented. When he leaves, for whatever reason, he's a bum.

You can say you don't like the guy or his attitude, but you can't say he isn't talented or a good player. Look at his numbers.

I've heard Dom's story before, and a few others. I don't want a guy like Hamilton on my club. But, he doesn't go from gold to tin overnight as a player simply because he spurned the B's.

Reactions: Estlin

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don’t know where to start, but I think you are WAY off on Brind’amour. I think he’s a great coach now and I think he’s going to continue to learn and grow in that role over the next decade.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I don’t know where to start, but I think you are WAY off on Brind’amour. I think he’s a great coach now and I think he’s going to continue to learn and grow in that role over the next decade.

Maybe. I've never thought good players should be coaches, but that's me.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Yup. They snuck in the playoffs and might be closer to the worst team in the NHL whomever that may be than the best whomever that may be. Yet here they are in the final 4.

When you get a gift opponent after pulling an upset like they did and sweep them with that young of a team a lot of credit has to go to the guy behind the bench. No coach can help that team in this series though. I think the physical play of the Canes is gonna work against them and focus our guys on keeping the series short as possible especially after seeing a much bigger team than us in Columbus.

Go St Louis I want to see a team people thought we’re gonna be trade deadline sellers this year in the Finals.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Wasn’t that good. His career stats are extremely impressive because he wasn’t really that good at any one point in time in terms of his peak.

Always known as much for his leadership it’s no surprise at all he’s having success as a coach.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Wasn’t that good. His career stats are extremely impressive because he wasn’t really that good at any one point in time in terms of his peak.

Always known as much for his leadership it’s no surprise at all he’s having success as a coach.

I think it's very hard to justify saying he wasn't that good.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think it's very hard to justify saying he wasn't that good.

No peak where he was ever considered a top elite talent he’d be pretty far down the trough from a Crosby/McDavid. But he has those kinds of all time stats he’s up there, played forever, and was known for 2 way play.

Of course he was a very good player but he wasn’t close to being an all time great or anything.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
No peak where he was ever considered a top elite talent he’d be pretty far down the trough from a Crosby/McDavid. But he has those kinds of all time stats he’s up there, played forever, and was known for 2 way play.

Of course he was a very good player but he wasn’t close to being an all time great or anything.

giphy.gif

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad