98.5 The Sports Hub Hurricanes coach Rod Brind'Amour says Dougie Hamilton is 'misunderstood'

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hurricanes coach Rod Brind'Amour says Dougie Hamilton is 'misunderstood'

It was in 2015 that Hamilton, drafted by the Bruins with the ninth overall pick in 2011, essentially refused to negotiate a new contract with the Bruins. That forced B's general manager Don Sweeney to find a suitor for the 6-foot-6 defender. He ultimately landed in Calgary, where he set career-bests in a three-year run with the Flames before he was traded yet again, this time to the Hurricanes as part of a five-asset swap between the teams. All before Hamilton turned 26 years old.

Strange rumors circled Hamilton in both Boston and Calgary, too.

He was reportedly considered a 'loner' in both stops, or as somebody who kept to himself instead of going out with teammates and enjoying team functions. And according to some, it was with the Bruins that Hamilton essentially demanded that the B's trade for his older brother, Freddie Hamilton. (Freddie, spent some time with the Flames following Calgary's acquisition of Dougie, but has done almost nothing in his NHL career, with four goals and two assists in 75 games between four different organizations. Freddie did not play hockey anywhere in 2018-19.)

In other words, Hamilton could certainly seem like an odd bird.

But 'Canes coach Rod Brind'Amour had a different way of describing Hamilton.

"He’s an interesting guy," Brind'Amour, whose Hurricanes trail their third-round series against the Bruins 1-0 after a 5-2 loss on TD Garden ice on Thursday, began. "I think he’s misunderstood, totally.

"We got him and you hear things, and then you sit down with him and he’s very engaging. He wants to win really badly, as does everybody else. I think his personality is a little more laidback."

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
"We got him and you hear things, and then you sit down with him and he’s very engaging. He wants to win really badly, as does everybody else. I think his personality is a little more laidback."

He didn’t look laid back in Game 1. He looked like he was in full panic mode out there.

That giveaway right in front of his goalie, in the last seconds of a period.. Panic

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

It was in 2015 that Hamilton, drafted by the Bruins with the ninth overall pick in 2011, essentially refused to negotiate a new contract with the Bruins. That forced B's general manager Don Sweeney to find a suitor for the 6-foot-6 defender. He ultimately landed in Calgary, where he set career-bests in a three-year run with the Flames before he was traded yet again, this time to the Hurricanes as part of a five-asset swap between the teams. All before Hamilton turned 26 years old.

He was reportedly considered a 'loner' in both stops, or as somebody who kept to himself instead of going out with teammates and enjoying team functions. And according to some, it was with the Bruins that Hamilton essentially demanded that the B's trade for his older brother, Freddie Hamilton. (Freddie, spent some time with the Flames following Calgary's acquisition of Dougie, but has done almost nothing in his NHL career, with four goals and two assists in 75 games between four different organizations. Freddie did not play hockey anywhere in 2018-19.)

"He’s an interesting guy," Brind'Amour, whose Hurricanes trail their third-round series against the Bruins 1-0 after a 5-2 loss on TD Garden ice on Thursday, began. "I think he’s misunderstood, totally.

“He wants to win as much as any other laidback guy”

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I could care less about off-ice behavior, at the end of the day we're fans and don't know anything about that. All I know is that I absolutely hated his play on the ice when he was here, even if he does have talent. One of the most frustrating players I've ever watched.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

In my opinion I couldn't really care if he is a loner or not really social

some people are like this and as long as they are not bothering anybody.... not a big deal

but if I'm a fan I would be worried about his constant looking over his shoulders/avoiding bodychecks

come on, you are 6'6 and weigh 20-30 more pounds than the average nhl player

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Dougie Hamilton is what he is at this point. An extremely talented offensive defencemen that lacks on ice intelligence for defence. He still has time, and I was one off his biggest supporters, but he seems like all tools and no tool box.

I don't don't hate this guy, but if we can get in his head to help win the series, let's do it.

Reactions: Ladyfan and BMC

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I’m just happy that he and Fredo are getting the chance to enjoy participating in the ECF together.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Is he supposed to be the villain this series? Couldn't think of a more boring villian for a series.

So far, my choice would be Foegele.

Cheap dangerous play on Oshie that resulted in TJ missing the rest of the series. Cheap, dangerous play on Krug in Game 1.

How this guy has not gotten on the radar of the DOPS is completely beyond me.

ps imo his playoff stats are a mirage. Heading into the series he was shooting 30+ %. After game 1, it’s down to 26.6% on 19 shots. For comparison, Heinen (who everyone wants to shoot more) has 21 shots in two more games. Only difference is that his % is below 5.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
I could care less about off-ice behavior, at the end of the day we're fans and don't know anything about that. All I know is that I absolutely hated his play on the ice when he was here, even if he does have talent. One of the most frustrating players I've ever watched.
Off ice behavior or personality issues can effect the on ice behavior of your team though. Most stories you hear of winning teams is about how close knit the players are to each other.not everyone has to go bowling after work with each other but definitely makes a stronger team if it’s all for one and one for all.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Off ice behavior or personality issues can effect the on ice behavior of your team though. Most stories you hear of winning teams is about how close knit the players are to each other.not everyone has to go bowling after work with each other but definitely makes a stronger team if it’s all for one and one for all.
Yeah, I don't deny that, I just think there's no point speculating on that as fans as we don't know. We can only really comment on what we see.

Reactions: Johnny4778

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
The guy is obviously an introvert, which in itself doesn’t make you a bad teammate. Mommy and daddy issues and passive aggressiveness with the team and teammates will though. And I think you can still be an introvert and hang out at some team functions both official and non official ones, once in a while. The important thing is you respect the team, your teammates and they respect you. For various reasons with Dougie it seems that’s not the case. A low key small market team is the best place for Dougie. It’s too bad though, if he had marchands charming personality and heart he’d be a multiple Norris trophy winner at some point. But this is what’s life is about, hard work and character, not just talent. Beauty is character and hard work are a choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Can understand why bruins fans don’t like the guy, seeing as he virtually abandoned your team, but he wasn’t that bad here in Calgary. He made sense as a trade chip to improve our offense, but he did well here and I’m happy for him. Definitely one of our most if not our most overrated player when he was here though.

Reactions: Strafer

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Can understand why bruins fans don’t like the guy, seeing as he virtually abandoned your team, but he wasn’t that bad here in Calgary. He made sense as a trade chip to improve our offense, but he did well here and I’m happy for him. Definitely one of our most if not our most overrated player when he was here though.

Hamilton had management waste a roster spot on his brother for two seasons while guys who could have actually contributed rotted in Stockton and then basically flat out demanded Brad Treliving trade him at exit meetings in 2018. At those same exit meetings, his teammates were not exactly glowing with praise for him (or Brouwer, or Gulutzan, big surprise all three are gone within three months). If you listened to Treliving talk about the trade on 960 in Calgary, you would've heard Treliving talk about Ferland, stating what a good guy he was and that he would miss him. Crickets on Hamilton.

This kind of crap follows him wherever he goes.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige

Snif..snif....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad