98.5 The Sports Hub Hurricanes coach Rod Brind'Amour says Dougie Hamilton is 'misunderstood'

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
watched them a bit when they first started but so much is cookie cutter stuff, can`t recall any Dougie parts, but if I only read/hear rumblings about him not being liked from one team or it`s media I don`t typically pay attention, when we continue hearing things from other teams he is then on, it`s more than likely on Dougie. I dunno, seems like a guy who thinks he should always be THE guy
They are, but I really enjoy the additional on ice audio we usually get, getting to hear the guys in a natural state, that's when the good stuff comes out of their mouths lol

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Yeah, I don't deny that, I just think there's no point speculating on that as fans as we don't know. We can only really comment on what we see.

agree with this post, my take away watching Hamiltons play as a Bruin he turns the puck over and makes key defensive mistakes which weren't worth the contract he received. I'm not about to play armchair psychologist saying Dougie did this, Dougie did that, he's an introvert, he's shy or whatever. I've only ever seen him play on TV

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Hamilton was having a very good playoffs up until this point.
Numbers-wise maybe, but there were signs the wheels were coming off the cart as early as WAS series.

That polite step to the side... "Ovi, no no no.....please, you take the puck" to give up the third goal in a game early in that series was simply unacceptable. Cowardice supreme. Shortly after that you see Dougie throw a forearm shiver directly into the face of a Capital against the boards that inexplicably was not addressed by DOPS after the game.

Same trend here. Afraid of Nordstrom hit coming -- spends entire time with head over his shoulder looking at Nordstrom TOTALLY ignoring puck before throwing out an elbow. He sits for 2 minutes which costs his team a goal and then shortly thereafter he takes a run at Backes and gets called for interference. You can argue with the interfence call, but it's the trend I see.

Afraid to get hit. Avoids hit by taking action that hurts his team (goal). Responds shortly thereafter with aggressive borderline hit as if to show that he's really a tough guy.

The Nelson head pat in handshake line was same thing. Dougie trying to show he's a tough team leader...... why????? because he's a coward on the ice. One of the most devastating labels in sport -- but most of all hockey.

I think we are seeing what Dougie is and always will be throughout these playoffs. A very good offensive defenseman who is suspect defensively, lacks courage on the ice, is selfish, and does things that just make you shake your head.

When the bloom is off the rose in Carolina (i.e. once the dust settles on this playoff season), unless they win the whole thing (winning has a way of smoothing over a lot) there's gonna be a few old school guys who question what kind of player they have in Dougie (i.e. Staal, Williams, Brind'amour). Whether they say anything publicly or not is a different question, but IMO they will ask themselves whether this is a guy to go to war with.

Reactions: Chief Nine

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
On a separate note, Rod is waaaaaaay over his head as a coach. I’m totally against the “former great player gets big job in organization” movement and he’s a good example in my favor.

I disagree, I think hes done well for what he has. He’s not perfect but he’s pretty much learning on the fly in the ECF. He is quite literally coaching a final 4 team and it’s the team with the least amount of talent remaining imo. I fail to see how that is a good example in your favor seeing as how he’s outlasted 90% of the league this season

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Does Dougie just have silver spoon syndrome?

The stories posted here and the mention of him patting an opposing players head seem to indicate that’s what his issue is. No wonder he looks like draco malfoy

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I disagree, I think hes done well for what he has. He’s not perfect but he’s pretty much learning on the fly in the ECF. He is quite literally coaching a final 4 team and it’s the team with the least amount of talent remaining imo. I fail to see how that is a good example in your favor seeing as how he’s outlasted 90% of the league this season

Did you think Dale Hunter was a good coach?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Did you think Dale Hunter was a good coach?

Brind’amour has already outlasted Dale Hunter as far as games coached and I would say those capitals had a more talented roster than these hurricanes do

46-29-7 w an ECF trip is way different than 30-23-7 and a one and done btw

I do not think Dale Hunter was a good coach. I’m not sure what that has to do with a guy that’s already been much more successful

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Brind’amour has already outlasted Dale Hunter as far as games coached and I would say those capitals had a more talented roster than these hurricanes do

46-29-7 w an ECF trip is way different than 30-23-7 and a one and done btw

I do not think Dale Hunter was a good coach. I’m not sure what that has to do with a guy that’s already been much more successful

I’m just curious. It wasn’t a trap question, although I think there are some parallels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad